Tips for optimized rF2 performance / Guide on how to prevent low FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Risto Kappet, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Alejandro López Arjona

Alejandro López Arjona Registered

Formula Pro

2. Binny

Binny Guest

IMHO its about time S397 optimize the sim, when was the last time it was done? Not everyone can afford hundreds, thousands to buy the latest CPU,GPU if you have the $$ in these hard times the world is going through. I have even heard ppl with top PC'S complaining so its the sim not the hardware by the sounds of things. Anyway enjoying my break still have to the end of the yr b4 i will be back playing, maybe by then hardware is cheaper or the sim has been optimized.

szczebrzeszyn likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, 256 should work fine on a PC that can run rF2. Maybe VR would be more of an issue because CPU use is higher, but otherwise...

Some people seem to be affected, others aren't. The devs will be trying to find a pattern.

In the meantime the main thing to check is your output device sample rate, if that's very high it will definitely cause issues.

@Binny again: it's intermittent. Maybe hardware related, but it's not about insane requirements. If you're enjoying your break maybe stop posting this same thing again and again?

4. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I had performance issues as well but i did couple of things to get rid of it.(for majority of the time).
    but first and foremost try 0% on all legacy sound options for formula pro, this causes issues on cars that are optimised for new sound engine.
    if this doesn't work then try the usual
    *verify integrity
    *clear files inside cbash and shaders folders
    *maybe even run programs like cccleaner
    *Defrag hard drive
    etc.

But i think turning down all the legacy options to 0% should get rid of performance issues on new sound cars.
    oh just in case do restart rfactor 2 to see its effects even better IMO.

Edit : check out this detailed thread on how to setup for new sound engine
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-sound-engine-settings.71979/

I was making mistakes in windows settings, so this might also help.

5. Binny

Binny Guest

[QUOTE="Lazza, post:

@Binny again: it's intermittent. Maybe hardware related, but it's not about insane requirements. If you're enjoying your break maybe stop posting this same thing again and again?[/QUOTE]
    Well its the reason i dont come back earlier, you cannot implement new features and then read most ppl have to turn off or have on low its not a good look. Needs to be addressed ASAP. Again lazza you have answered for S397 why can they not answer ?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not answering for them. I am answering, and it's true they don't answer all threads. Should they answer more often, and/or have current bug and known issues lists? Sure. I can't change that.

"implement new features and then read most ppl have to turn off or have on low" - what I keep trying to get you to understand, is that from a hardware requirements point of view this really isn't the case. The stuttering issues are stutters on otherwise acceptable FPS. These sound issues may be worse on older hardware but not everyone is affected - and it may depend what other strains are put on the system. Here's something Devin (a dev) said on the matter:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?posts/1098071/

So let's presume a quad core is more susceptible, but we can also presume Devin's own quad core works on 256 effects, *or a reasonable number at least, if other settings are correct. My i5-8600 is... errr... 4 years old and has 6 cores. Not exactly the latest and most expensive hardware. Handles 256 fine.

Binny likes this.
  7. Supa

Supa Registered

Number of cores doesnt matter as Driving sims only use 1. I have an 8 core processor and wasting 7 of them. Sooo what you want is a processor that has really good single core performance like my i7-9700K

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Might have missed this, some time back they did add multi-core thread capability, as stated in the features on the Steam page.
    Features
    Physics

• Updated to use multi-core CPU technology
    • Advanced physics engine
    • Newly updated tyre model
    • Driving surface construction, even painted line thickness, affects grip levels
    • Engine boost and Turbo modeling
    • Complex aerodynamics
    • Head physics, cockpit vibrations, detailed bump modeling

Binny likes this.
  9. Supa

Supa Registered

My Core 2 and 8 show around 60-80% use and core 1 maybe half that but doesnt really look too much different from prior to their update.

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What's the best way to optimise a track that drops framerate when driving past the pits? I know the track needs optimisation but until then this track (paid mod) drops GPU usage from 80% down to 50% amd framerate drops to low 60's from 110+. Is there something the player can do in settings or files to help here?

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is a common complaint. Especially at the Nurb GP track. You might try and lock your fps to 60 to prevent any drop-off. Unless you are using VR and 90 seems to be the magic number.

Binny likes this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I have a cap of 141fps and usually sit above 110, i really dont want to go back to 60 fps.

13. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

I think there is graphics options for pit crew details in player.json file.
    Could be useful in increasing performance whilst driving past pit

Binny and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

in player json i think it will help

"Garage Detail":0.01,

15. Binny

Binny Guest

Cheers. sry if i sound a bit off but all i want is for the sim to be able to run more smoothly, so you me and everyone else can have the best stable experience possible.

Lazza likes this.
  16. Zadel

Zadel Registered

Hi guys! Please help me out here.
    Just bought my copy of rF2 last week and i can't get it to work smoothly. I did everything you said in this thread, i even lowered some of the in game graphic settings on low not just medium. Still my avg. FPS is 26.
    I'm playing on Asus RoG laptop from 2016 and it meets the requirements.

My Specifications: - Intel i7-6700q 2.60GHz
    - Nvidia GeForce 960M 4GB GDDR5
    - 8GB DDR4 RAM

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You meet the minimum standards but just barely and those stated minimums are very out of date. We have criticized S397 for not updating those specs as they have increased the graphic loads. 8GB of system ram can run out awfully fast. 4gb of Vram will be overwhelmed at any of the laser tracks that have all the graphic bells & whistles. Don't lower some of the graphic options, lower them all, and lower them right down to the lowest settings. Reduce the number of different cars as much as possible,(i.e race a single make field like the USF2000 instead of a field of many different open wheelers) Stay with shorter tracks like Portland, Zandvoort, or Nola. There are plenty of items hidden in the player json files(like player.json) you can limit the number of viewable cars, the number of viewable headlights, the number of trackside vehicles & turn off the rain particles.(even if it's sunny) Stay away from dawn & twilight time periods. Reduce special effects to low & reduce significantly the number of sound effect options from 255ish down to 64.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  18. Zadel

Zadel Registered

Hi, while yes everything you wrote is true that wasn’t actually my problem.
    Thermal paste between gpu and cooler was very old so gpu was overheating and throttling. Now I’m getting 60fps on solo session with the settings in this thread.

davehenrie and Hazi like this.