Car height

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Alek, May 21, 2022.

1. Alek

Alek Registered

Hi all,
    I did some tests where I was able to verify where despite in telemetry the height from the track of the car is high and does not appear to touch the ground, in the game, thanks to the new update, it seems so and you can see the sparks. So I ask myself: is the telemetry correct and the game is wrong, or the other way around? Is it a known bug?
    I hope someone can explain me this issue.
    Thanks

2. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

All the undertray points can create sparks. In most scenarios it just means that there's another object on the body that has a lower vertical coordinate than the points that determine ride height (front splitter, undertray, etc.)

Simulation_Player likes this.
  3. Alek

Alek Registered

ok, understand, but I set very hight the car and it still touch? See the telemetry part in the image attached... It's so strange to me.

Attached Files:

4. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Could you provide a bit more info? What car is it? At what ride height do the sparks generate? Is it on the straights or in the corners?

5. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Maybe you have a small part of the floor hitting a kerb or an ondulation that generates the sparks, and the points of the floor attached to telemetry are not touching the ground in this given moment.

This is why the current telemetry data isn't reliable for this purpose and yes, sparks were a big addition in this aspect, before that we had to rely on subjective info like sounds, straight line speed or sudden loss of control.

6. Alek

Alek Registered

I did test with LMP2 Oreca on first streight of Le Mans, no corners, no kerbs, I can see sparks in some point, especially the last part because of speed of course. But in the whole lap the telemetry is similar to the one I attached. In the setup I set maximum height and maximum packers.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  7. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

Ah the Oreca07. That car is a good case as there are some bodywork parts that's a lot lower than the ride height. On that car, ride height at about 25 - 30 mm is essentially bottoming on both front and rear. I think if you look at the car model in-game you can see that some bodywork height is very aggressive.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A car in rF2 has 4 undertray points that determine where 0 ride height is. These are also used for some aero parts and calculations.

There can be an additional 8 points defined which may be higher or lower than the first 4 (and will generally hit the ground later or earlier, respectively), then you could have the car pitching and rolling, plus the first 4 points can actually be placed anywhere the car maker wants (near the wheels, representing a skid block down the centre of the car, at the outer extremes of the bodywork, ...) as can the optional 8 points.

Working out how ride height correlates to actual contact is part of learning to set up a car.

Note that in a physics sense all those 12 points are equivalent; they are all solid, generate extra drag through friction, and will all spark with sparks enabled.

Alek and Simulation_Player like this.
  9. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Just a slightly off topic, what would be the driving consequences for floor touching the ground in rf2 ?
    should i always aim to never see a spark in any corners ?

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Compare ride height traces for the Oreca 07 & the LMP2 Ligier. I don't think the Ligier was originally a S397 product. But I would be surprised if they had telemetry that was similar. I think the Oreca has an issue with ride height that is not shared by, what should be a very similar, Ligier LMP2.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well the weight of the car is supported by the tyres or the ground, and your grip comes from weight on the tyres, so you certainly don't want constant sparks. But some sparking might be ok if it means on the average you've got greater grip. It's a bit like finding the balance between downforce and straightline speed - it depends on the car and the track.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  12. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Nice now i understand better, thank you very much for the info.