tire blankets

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by bob76, May 19, 2022.

1. bob76

bob76 Registered

is there an option for this? f1 cars use them but I can't find an option to preheat the tires

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

No, if the car uses tire heaters, they should already have temperature in them once you leave the garage.

3. bob76

bob76 Registered

mine always 56 degrees

4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

It depends on the mod. Try the Formula ISI or the Marrusia.

5. bob76

bob76 Registered

both of the cars you mention start with temps of 69/70 degrees, but the moment you leave the box they start to cool down, how do I get them to stay on temp I don't get this

6. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

If you spin up the rear tires when you leave the garage or box, you should see the rear tires heat up. But, yes they will start to cool down since they're no longer in the blankets.

When you get on the track and start putting a load into the tires they'll get up to around 100+ C.

bob76 likes this.
  7. bob76

bob76 Registered

I really don't get it I start weaving heavily on the straight of Imola and the temps go up to almost a hundred when I get to the first corner the temps are back at 70 degrees, what is that I'm doing wrong?
    air temp is 35 sunny weather a gap of 30 degrees from start to the first corner this cant be like in real-life ?
    i do not touch the settings maybe this is the problem?

the car is formula ISI, standard tires hud from 397

8. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

What you are talking about are the surface temperatures, which are visible in the HUD. They are more dynamic in temperature and will gain/lose +20-50 °C depending on the tyre model and how you drive. If you use a telemetry plugin you can look at the rubber and carcass temps, which are temps more deep into the tyre, with the latter being the deepest measurement. Those channels are less dynamic.

Here's an example from real-life with a thermal camera. As you see, lots of change in heat over a lap.

A general tip on tyre temps on rFactor 2 is to not care too much about it. They don't behave as expected, so low temps is generally wanted as the car behaves better in that state.

bob76 likes this.
  9. bob76

bob76 Registered

thank you for your help

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@Robin Pansar pretty much nailed it. In rF2, you have to guard against overheating a tire due to abuse than low temps. Aliens use setup exploits to quickly get their tires into a workable range and then manage the tires to prevent excessive heating.

11. bob76

bob76 Registered

okay so red is too hot purple is okay?

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've read some that have reported different colors, It used to be GREEN was the good color, but that was probably back in the rF1 days.(where I seem to be stuck) The way it appears to me on my screen is the following:
    Purple 50 - 70°C
    Pink 70 - 80°C
    Red 80 - 100°C
    Orange Too Hot
    Yellow REALLY Too Hot.
    I think it's really difficult to keep the tires up above 80°c. They seem to slide back very quickly. So I would shoot for Pink & not get too worried if it reached red for short periods.

bob76 likes this.
  13. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

The general rule of thumb is that surface temps above 100°C will cause weird behavior, especially on the rear axle. Front is kinda fine, but the rear will start to slide a lot and will generally slow you down. Odd thing is that this loss of grip isn't visible in the data when you study the tyre forces, so I'm not sure what's happening there.

Most cars are pretty set in how they heat up and cool down, so all that you can do is drive slower in the corners to keep temps down, which isn't that great. Setup adjustments affect some, but not really enough. Tyre temperature vs grip seems to be a bit of a weak point in the tyre model.

bob76 likes this.