Need help, looks cartoonish, white hazy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LibranRabbit, May 18, 2022.

1. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

Running high end pc, no issues graphically with everything maxed, but game looks very cartoonish, sort of white and hazy. How do I get this looking life like, clear and crisp?

2. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

screenshot?

3. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

I will tomorrow if I get time, otherwise weekend.

nolive721 likes this.
  4. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

9900k 64g 8T Raid 10 RTX3090 3x FI32U 1m/s g to g, 1m/s mprt is that enough?

5. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

by curiosity, are you using your triple 4K at 7680x1440 ? or 11580x2160 ?
    I don't see the purpose to play at 11580x2160, to be limited at 60hz, and having 30fps by night with rain with AI with ultra graphics....or low fps with dusk...
    For me the perfect combo is triple 32" gsync HDR 1440p 144hz (but for 120hz) with 3090ti or maybe one 65" 4K 120hz like the C165 OLED, but the input lag has disguted me, the virtual wheel is so slow....the latency is so much noticeable.

About your issue I don't know :)

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  6. Cammo

Cammo Registered

Does deleting the contents of the cbash & shaders folders make any different? I recall it fixed some weird looking colours for me at one point in time.

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

What content are you using that looks cartoonish?

8. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

7680x1440 @ 144

9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Don't ignore this. Show a screenshot

10. lagg

lagg Registered

And this either.

11. justposted

justposted Registered

12. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

LeMans

Attached Files:

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try from outside the cockpit (swingman etc).

14. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

But I only use cockpit view. Compared to PC2 I can’t get it looking good.

Attached Files:

15. ThomasJohansen

@LibranRabbit the outside screenshot is proberly to make sure its not the "frontscreen window" giving you this effect.

Is it same washed out with other cars on same track?

you sure you dont have any applied color adjusting on your graphics card software?

16. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit Registered

It seems to be all cars and tracks. What can I delete so steam can reinstall the graphics setup/settings?

17. ThomasJohansen

Im not the correct one to ask about what to change or delete and would'nt suggest doing so until someone here suggst so. Im just trying to help getting much info on the problem. but Im curious, does it also look washed out with high sun and no clouds?

18. Havner

Havner Registered

This white wash is clearly a windshield effect. This car is Sauber C11 from MAK-Corp and all his cars has this ugly stuff. Outside camera won't have this.
    You can install my simple mod that gets rid of it for Sauber and Mazda and the first livery of porsche (in case of porsche this is per livery). It also increases mirror resolution.

Now, I'm only talking about the white wash, not the overall graphics quality. Whether that is the OP issue I don't know. He mentioned that all cars look bad so he might be commenting about overall graphics quality of rF2. In that case you won't make it look like PC2. Simply not possible with rF2.

Attached Files:

LibranRabbit and sg333 like this.
  19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think this is a case of setting expectations and getting the most out of what rF2 has to offer graphics wise. PC2, wich is your benchmark, uses an engine wich biggest selling point are the graphics, to put it straight. PC2 is pretty well known for great lighting, how the materials interact and how cockpits are rendered. It's a AAA engine developed with crazy budgets compared to the rF2 inhouse engine that is slowly catching up right now. In addition to this you will have quite a bit of variation due to different 1st and 3rd party content being at different stages of development. The Group C mod hasn't been updated since several years and it doesn't feature all the new graphics features that rF2 offers. If you use new official content like the Ferraris and max the graphics and play a bit with faster time multipliers and changing weather it can actually blow your mind at times. If you don't want to invest too much right now you can also use the Enduracers mod wich has pretty good quality and all the features like whipers, PBR materials and stuff like that.

That said, it will never reach the full Michael Bay level of graphics that you get in PC2, and it doesn't need to. I think visuals looking dull is perfectly fine when the conditions are like that, with overcast settings and midday sun angles. But that's also the beauty of rF2. At one corner the game can look a bit boring and the next corner you see a bit of sun breaking through the clouds and reflecting on the surface. And in rain conditions rF2 actually looks quite a bit better than PC2. Try Le Mans at around 8 or 9 pm with 60 or 70 percent wetness and it will look completely different to what you posted. These are some very old screenshots with the same mod and the free Le mans version. There is nothing cartoonish and graphics have actually advanced quite a bit from there:
    365960_20170606225235_1.png 365960_20170607150154_1.png

LibranRabbit likes this.
  20. sg333

sg333 Registered

Mid day sunny conditions can look a bit ....weird in rF2. I tend to drive morning or evening which looks better but also much more natural to me. You can almost visually tell the time of day.

Tracks like LeMans just look off in the bright midday sun to me. Sebring is the closest to natural looking daytime conditions so maybe there's some track/colour balance/sun position stuff at play.