Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

I tried the opencomposite/openxr approach and I think the main benefit is that if you quite dont get 90 fps its much less jerky than SteamVR, which seems a big plus. However after copying in the openvr_api.dll and renaming the original one steam thinks it has to redownload the whole game + workshop items. Can that be avoided?

2. Obi

Obi Registered

Hello new guy here,

Ok so if anyone can help shed some light for me on this opencomposite mod.

From what I understand there are two ways to use opencomposite.

System wide and per installation.

I tried downloading the "per installation" 64 bit but when I click on "open file" I get this annoying message that says something about not having an app associated blah blah (I'll post an image soon)

So then I tried the "system wide" and it seems to work. I can crank up my graphics and still have headroom. How amazing. BUT,,, when I escape the session to choose another circuit the game fails to load the next circuit forcing me to close the app and restart it.

I receive an error message about swapchain or something like that. Sorry for the poor noobish terminology here.

Has anyone encountered this issue with opencomposite? It works perfectly fine with AMS2.

3. justposted

justposted Registered

Not sure I understand. You just drop the DLL into the rFactor folder and overwrite the existing one. No need to open the file yourself. Quite possible I've misunderstood, of course, and no guarantee it will solve your crashes, but that's the method I used and it's totally stable for me.

4. Obi

Obi Registered

Here are some photos I took with my phone. I apologize for the quality.

Attached Files:

5. Magus

Magus Registered

There OpenXR doesn't work with the OpenXR Toolkit, for me, I can run one race but as soon as I go to pits or back to menu then the game closes.

To use openXR you either have to disable the OpentXR Toolkit or uncheck the rF2 OpenComposite within it. Once you do this you don't have the toolkit options to help with performance however most people (unlike me) are reporting better performance using the Openxr.dll to bypass SteamVR. For me things get more stuttery so I am just using SteamVR until the toolkit is compatibe with rF2 - if that ever happens, as that gave me the best results.

6. Obi

Obi Registered

What a shame. But hey. Rf2 really doesnt run too bad with steamVR. I can manage 80fps up to 13 cars with msaa x4 at medium settings.

Maybe they will update this openvr/xr stuff and all will work so we can squeeze out more eye candy.

7. Magus

Magus Registered

You shouldn't open the .dll file. You need to go to where it has downloaded, and then transfer it over to your rf install location BIN64 folder. My path is:
    G:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin64
    Within there rename the openvr_api.dll file that already exists to something like openvr_api.back in case you want to revert to the original file. Then drop the one you downloaded into this folder. On its own (without the toolkit enabled), this will bypass steamvr.

8. Obi

Obi Registered

I will try this and report back. Ty magus

9. Obi

Obi Registered

Is openXR the same as opencomposite? This whole openxx thing is a bit confusing lol

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

OpenXr is the old name of open composite .
    Open composite is the tool which makes you VR headset works without steamvr.

Obi likes this.
  11. Obi

Obi Registered

Here is a video better explaining the issue I'm encountering trying to open the file.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Hi juanchioooo, as a fellow Pimaxer I'm interested in your efforts to use your 8K with openXR. Have you succeeded? I'd really like to max out the FPS potential but I'm reluctant to struggle thru what I know will be a painful process. Any advice for a lazy moocher?

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

They say it works, but either I couldn't do it right, or I didn't notice anything, and since it's working fine for me now, I've given up, I'm sorry I can't help you

14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Have openxr toolkit and opencomposite in the newest versions running again in RF2 with my Rverb G2. But no time to test any further right now.

Magus likes this.
  15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Is there a new version of openxr toolkit? How can active their fps counter?

16. Magus

Magus Registered

Great, the v1.1.2 no longer crashes the game with the latest .dll.

Getting much better performance but still experiencing some crazy stutters around Westfield and into Dingle Dell, I think it might be due to changes in the ambient lighting.

17. Richard Evans-Williams

Richard Evans-Williams Registered

Just trying rfactor2 in VR after sometime away on ReverbG2 6900xt using latest openXR Toolkit v1.1.2, simply copied openvr_api.dll to Bin64.
    No issues, but does anyone know if Sharpness value needs to be changed in rfactor2 to take full advantage of openXR toolkit.

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Interesting you saw no improvement despite it working fine. I can easily see myself with the same results. Wouldn't be the first time. I think I'll continue to sit it out.

juanchioooo likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it's just that I'm very clumsy and I'm not able to get a good result

20. Magus

Magus Registered

WMR for SteamVR Beta updated to 1.3.45 with the following option:
    Reworks how graphics buffers are shared with SteamVR, reducing overall GPU memory utilization in most cases.
    Previous beta has shown that some configurations / games might have some issues with this new approach, therefore it's an opt in feature which can be enabled through WMR Settings "Optimize rendering and improve GPU memory usage."

Has anyone tried enabling it for rF2 and see if it helps VR performance?

Binny and GTClub_wajdi like this.