NEED INFO Sparks in VR are wrong when VR Projection Mode = 1

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Smeghead, May 16, 2022.

1. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Has anyone noticed an issue with sparks in VR?
    first just to say all looks fine on flatscreens and also whilst in VR watching other cars or replays on the "monitor" is fine.
    Which makes me think it must be a 3d issue, cause when driving in VR the sparks look completely different, they come up as bright lines running horizontally across the screen, it's like the sparks are going on the x axis instead of the z axis.
    Is also fine in mirrors whilst in VR but then I guess the mirrors aren't 3D
    couple of shots
    I am on latest official release
    20220516175719_1.jpg 20220516175833_1.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Flipo and Lazza like this.
  2. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Reached out on discord and found from other VR user that sparks are fine for them, I mentioned Pimax and that made us think of
    "VR Projection Mode" setting.
    If I put this setting back to 0 the sparks look really good, however it means I have to reenable Parralel projections in Pimax pitool and loose about 30% performance.
    So would be much appreciated if this could be looked at for those of us with canted displays.
    Thanks
    (updated title)

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

NVM. Does anyone else without this headset, using projection mode 1 have this issue?

4. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

OK, I should have posted more info, I was sort of hoping it was a common issue.
    I'm running a pimax 5Kplus on pitool V1.0.1.277(Latest)
    and as above all good when projection mode = 0

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

with the pimax 8k plus they look like a flash, they look like they bother the eye when it's too close

6. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

sounds similar, I put the car on auto pilot whilst in a race and then looked at the "mirror display" on my monitor, its more obvious what's going on there.

7. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

My kind of workaround: I use "VR Projection Mode":1 in player.json as well as ticked parallel projections in Pitool. I noticed that when both are "on" the negative impact on performance is much less than 30%. In addition I use OpenVR_FSR, it helps a lot with reduction of GPU load with minor impact on game graphics. In the aspect of sharpness it even makes original picture better (less blurry).
    Pimax 8kx, Ryzen 5600x, RX 6900XT, 16GB RAM.