Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered

Agree that it is a downgrade with less options. We should at least have options in ini files to tune the volume of individual effects, like tire sounds. There are many cases in which those might be needed, for instance I was using higher volume tire sounds, to enhance lower-volume tire effects, while learning a new car, to have more feedback on the the grip / slip behavior.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I thought people were done with fiddling with ini files and stuff?

"it should all be in the menu UI" some said?

I think a lot of you are so used to tweaking stuff (for "personal preference") that when things are changed to model sounds how they would be in real life, some are left wanting more sliders. You want your sim to be realistic? Do you have the ability to turn up and down certain sounds in the real world? I think it's a control thing personally... and when some don't feel they have any control, they will complain.

It's like those that turn off raindrops in the rain so they can see better through the windscreen... either you want realistic or just a game... make up ya minds :D

Bernat, Flaux, tiffarno and 1 other person like this.
  3. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

pretty sure IRL i wont be able to hear tyre sound over V10 engine and wind at high speeds, stop defending this "do u have ability to do so IRL" as if rfactor 2 sound model is exactly like real life, invalid argument.
    tyre sounds are excessive for me , it makes driving easier and unrealistic at same time....i want to get rid of it with simple sound mixer that WAS ALREADY IN GAME.

infact if this was realistic it would make F1 drivers look like noob, because with this new sounds i detect tyre lockup so early that no way in hell i can get so deep into tyre lock without noticing >
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D26nZLkX0AEsD_W.jpg

just use the sound cues vettlel ffs , utter noob.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    sg333 likes this.
  4. Simulation_Player

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Simulation_Player If you limit your complaint to the tyre sounds, and not the lack/removal of options, you may find out whether people agree with you on that.

6. Simulation_Player

I didn't quite get what you said.
    All i'm asking for is giving us user options to mix the sound effects thats all.
    it was possible before so i think it should doable now as well.

nolive721 and GT_ONE like this.
  7. olligreen

olligreen Registered

So @Paul Jeffrey will you looking into this issues we have?

Some users are reporting big performance issues with this new update... (Looks like it is because of the sound engine...)
    Would be really strange for a sim to have 30fps loss because of "sound"... (Just my two cents..)

Hope for a fix soon. :)

8. Simulation_Player

Another problem i noticed ,
    on monaco with fpro i can easily use 256 sound effects
    but on spa with fpro i get problems, the sound starts cutting....so here i had to go down all the way to 32 sound effects to make it playable.

both official tracks, with no changes made to graphics or anything.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just for a test, restart windows and then go directly to rF2 and Spa. See if there is still a larger performance gap Then load Cote d Azur.

10. Simulation_Player

will try that.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No one has replied saying the FPro tyre sounds are realistic. You started by saying there should be adjustments available, hence the discussion centered on that. Let me put it this way: if you drove the FPro and felt all the sounds were just like real life (including tyre lockups) would you insist the individual sounds should be adjustable? If so, I'd wonder why unrealistic sounds should be a goal for users.

If the FPro tyre lockup sound is wrong is another issue entirely.

Is the game set to Speakers or Headphones?

12. Simulation_Player

Headphones

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, as a workaround try changing to Speakers and see if that makes much difference to performance. You'll lose HRTF but the sound should still be good (Devin said they made sure that option was still suited to headphone use, since they think most players are using headphones).

If there's a sizable performance difference maybe they can work out if it's a bug or just inherent with the HRTF stuff. (could be some specific hardware, too).

14. Simulation_Player

New sound engine gave me trouble even on RC at spa , it got worse in final build. before it was all fine.
    I will try out speaker mode....but i hope i don't have to keep using it (if it works that is).

15. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

Perhaps tyre sounds are louder than you imagine? See 2:13 in this video.

sniper likes this.
  16. Simulation_Player

it could be the case, but couple of things to consider

1. where was the mic placement , if it was outside then that would explain loud tyre.

2.his speed compared to fpro is quite slow, hence lower wind speed and noise

3.you hear tyre more prominently when he is on clutch ....u can see how tyre sound disappears as engine goes into higher revs

4. he is skidding the tyres quite hard, i can hear tyre in "normal" driving and minimal tyre locking scenarios.

i have heard tyre sounds on many onboards and at the same time some onboard don't show any tyre sounds at all.
    so just one clip can't disprove the logic that tyre should be quite compared to wind and engine especially when i'm not drifting the fpro.(like in the video).

whatever the case is, i just want sound mixer back.

17. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Agree with that.
    With all the formula cars, the wind is too loud in relation to the engine sound.
    Also the tire noise.
    Go over curbs too.
    It may be similar in real life, only in rF2 we need something like a mix of old sound and new.
    The engine sound should already be dominant.
    It's just not fun the way it is now with the formula cars!

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

I wonder is the new sound engine even capable of having user customizable options like sliders? I want to lower/disable tire sounds, lower curb sounds etc if at all possible

19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Not only did the old soundmixing dissapoint me, the settings to adjust it dissapointed aswell. You couldn't fix a lot with them (not enough sliders) and on top of that you sometimes got that exagrated dynamic range when all sliders set to 25% which was nice but wasn't in mind when S397 created sounds for their cars (afaik), so...

..I really hope they develop a well documented standard (guidelines) for creating new sounds, so it is consistent. Not sure if that is possible, but would be great. We might not need any sliders anymore. Yay.

p.s.: the Oreca in the testing folder is well done allready when using speakers. I don't use headphones atm. It is going a good direction.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

for most 3rd party stuff, you can lower the the first slider under the LEGACY banner and that should reduce the curbs. Newer cars like the rFpro and IR 18 have fully optimized sound and the legacy sliders don't do much. This is a transition, it will take time to get both mods and official content updated.