When I Shut Down RFactor 2, Steam Says It's Still Running

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BluesAdam, Jul 5, 2017.

1. lagg

lagg Registered

2. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

Year 2020 and still having this issue with Logitech Profiler...

3. lagg

lagg Registered

When you shut down rFactor 2, Steam says that Logitech Profiler is still Running?

4. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

The thing is like this, when you start up rFactor 2, the game checks if Logitech Profiler is running. If it is not, then it automatically opens it.

When this happens, and then you close rFactor 2, it does not always close the profiler (with the new UI I think it never does), so Steam thinks rFactor 2 is still running.

If you manually close the logitech app, or if you already had it open before rF2 starts, then there is no problem when rF2 closes.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The game doesn't start the profiler. The profiler may activate itself when the game is run (is that dependent on settings?) but the game doesn't, and realistically can't, know that the profiler is there or run it. If you think the game is opening the profiler and failing to close it afterward I guess I understand your post, but that's not the mechanism.

lagg likes this.
  6. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

Well, that's weird, because rF2 is the only game in which the profiler opens itself when the game opens, and I am sure of everything else I said. Besides, I can not find any setting in the profiler that sets this behavior.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It may not be adjustable, that's why I asked the question rather than stating it as fact.

From quick testing I just did the profiler does start when rF2 is run, and sits there telling steam rF2 is running even after you quit and close the launcher. I obviously have the profiler sitting there the whole time so it never causes such problems.

The point I'm making, is that the game isn't starting the profiler in that scenario. The profiler is presumably registered with the controller in windows and starts when the controller is initiated by a game. The game can't choose not to do it, doesn't do it itself, and has no reason to (and definitely shouldn't) try to close the profiler on exit.

*But hey, I might be wrong :p

Seven Smiles likes this.
  8. Feer9

Feer9 Registered

I do agree with you, but it's strange that this behavior has got worse with the new UI (with the old UI I think this only happen if you interact with the profiler while in game)

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not from the testing I just did. Goes to show how much attention I pay to such things, the profiler has obviously just been sitting there for years. If I shut it down first it blocks on rF2 exit every time. (old UI)

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Some software has services running automatically when windows is loading.
    I don't know if the logitech profiler works in that way.
    But if it does and you have defined a rfactor 2 profile in the logitech profiler and you start the game, it maybe can happen that the profiler gets opened when you start rfactor 2.
    But it's only a guess.

11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

This will stop the Logitech Profiler
    Code:
    taskkill /IM "LWEMon.exe" /F
    I'm finding it's sometimes starting when I run rF2 (in which case Steam thinks rFactor is still running when I exit) but not always.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Feer9 can I be devil's advocate and ask why not just leave the profiler running? I know you're not the only one in this thread with the issue but you're the recent poster regarding it, so I'm asking you :)

I would say I've had it sitting there running pretty much constantly for the last 10 years without it causing any issues, so just curious.

Davvid likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Feer9 As others have stated before, i also don't have that problem.
    Maybe the reason is, that i always start the logitech profiler (i have deactivated the profilers autostart) before i start the game.
    Have you ever tried that?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't understand your post. Feer9 already said that works. You don't have a problem because you start the profiler first, I don't have a problem because I always have the profiler running (with apparently no side effects). So we're all on the same page here.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

OHHH shame on me :D
    That can happen when i forget which posts i did read already.

Lazza likes this.
  16. Eliezer Nunes

Eliezer Nunes Registered

I solved this issue uninstalling the STEAM VR and erasing all archives relates to the STEAM VR and installing again... This solved the matter to me.

Lars likes this.
  17. ReaperNZ

ReaperNZ Registered

Hi all , i`m now having this issue , yesterday i did a fresh windows/steam/RF2 install , i`ve done all windows updates , i do not have steam VR installed nor do i have any logitech hardware/software , the only extra software i installed was the fanitec drivers/software for my fanitec CSL Elite wheel which i`ve been running for bout 3 years but have never had this issue before :(

18. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

Glad I found this thread , I have no Logitech equipment , and since this update when I close rfactor2 , not only is it still running, but my cpu cooler fan begins to wind 3 times faster then when i was actually playing , I don’t understand this ? Any help please , great update

19. Turbonetick

Turbonetick Registered

No ,it as nothing to do with this in any way ,
    It’s the new build period , now what’s your solution to this bug please ?

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

*thumbs up*