Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

car is fpro, i will try to turn down sound effects.....but wouldn't that also lower the volume of underbody scarping sound and other sound effects too ?
    in previous build it was separate option, so i don't like why it must be this way.

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Well, you can go telling the moders to update the sounds, because if not....

davehenrie likes this.
  3. olligreen

olligreen Registered

so I checked this now... I already had 16bit, 48000 in my windows settings. (btw: headphones user as well)
    also tried 16bit, 44100, but nothing changed. still got max. 50fps with the 256 effects.
    also tried to deactivate the "windows sonic for headphones (surround sound)" setting - but nothing changed - still 50fps.
    when i turn down the effects to... lets say 100 - it works fine - 70-90fps...

Lazza and davehenrie like this.
  4. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

I found that all formula cars have this weird onboard sound.
    Quiet dull engine and too loud background noise.
    Tires in particular are much too loud in relation to the engine sound.
    But that's not the case with GT cars.
    Oreca and other prototypes don't have it either.
    Formula Pro and Dallara Indy, although they should be up to date.
    Trackside sound, on the other hand, is always super great!
    It's kind of strange, you bring a sound update that only partially works.
    Sound is the most important thing in a game like this!

5. Simulation_Player

Okay the legacy sounds don't work at all on fpro , is it intentional ?
    please reverse this , give us more sliders to tune specific sound effects.
    Current one is way too simplistic and is not acceptable.

avenger82 and coasting&cruising like this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The legacy effects sliders are for cars that don't have the new sound code. The FPro has the new sound code.

7. Simulation_Player

okay so now im stuck with sound mix whatever devs set it , it is quite a downgrade. in old builds on same car i was able to tune handful of things specifically now i only have onboard volume which controls everything.....extremely bad decision to have it this way.

coasting&cruising likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In theory you shouldn't have to adjust the sound mix, because it's physics: all noises have a certain volume, that volume (loudness) falls off with distance, and arrives at your head from certain angles (with some reflection and reverb due to the environment).

There is definitely a variation in expectation between people, it seems to me the Oreca (my only updated reference vehicle) sounds more like sitting in a cockpit rather than sitting on the engine, while I suspect many people are used to engine audio like that famous Renault engine video (ie an engine not in a car).

What there unfortunately seems to be (although most reports don't include video/audio samples) is a variation of the actual sound mix even on cars that have updated sound code. Part of this may be due to differing windows sound settings messing things up and people don't realise it's wrong.

Or, maybe perception really just varies that much. Can pretty much guarantee someone could post a video and say "this sounds exactly like when I raced this car in real life" and others will complain the engine/tyres/opponents are too loud/quiet.

Highlandwalker and pkelly like this.
  9. Simulation_Player

true that its physics but sound mixing on fpro feels quite wrong when i can hear tyre lockup above 200km/h quite easily over wind and engine.
    regardless of whats real or not , tuning sound is a personal preference....i don't want my sound mix to be tuned by other guy and then i'm stuck with it.
    why they decided to completely remove individual mix is beyond me, its like they have taken a step forward with new sound engine but then a step back by removing all the options.
    IMO this is quite unplayble , i was gonna buy new btcc cars , but not with such sound engine....i will be waiting for fix/solution.

avenger82 and sniper like this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's an element of design as well, since sound can be part of what gives you feel (that's missing when you aren't sitting in a real seat).

I don't see why tuning sound is such a personal preference thing. Wouldn't the same then apply to vehicle dynamics? FFB?

Real life drivers sometimes talk about how getting starts right can be difficult because you can't hear your own engine, so your practice (basically done alone) is hard to ... er... put into practice. In computer games many of us probably just get around this by turning opponent sounds down, or the engine sound up. Isn't that an unfair and unrealistic advantage?

But, get 3 degrees too much slip angle and all hell breaks loose.

11. Simulation_Player

yea no driving physics is not equal to sound mixing lol.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why? Don't just 'lol'. I'm saying it's actually quite equivalent, and I just pointed out why.

13. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I personally have had no problem with the new sound system. I do use a high quality sound card and expensive HiFi headphones with a small bass lift setting in the sound card software. I have tried a lot of different cars, S397 and mods, the Porsche GT Cup car also worked fine but I have found that when viewing a replay with trackside cameras it can be a little quiet with some cars. I have found the on board Realtek sound to be quite mediocre compared with a good sound card. Overall a definite improvement of the sound.
    Screen shot of my settings.
    Sound.jpg
    P.S. I have not used the test cars only existing cars.

pkelly likes this.
  14. Simulation_Player

your argument would make sense If
    rfactor 2 somehow is physically simulating sounds real time of every component.

So unlike car physics, there no sound physics here in rf2 (which wouldn't make sense anyways).

all i'm asking for is sound mixer ,which was present in rf2.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

How the volumes are calculated isn't the issue at all, just like car physics calculations aren't what's important - it's the result.

16. Simulation_Player

Exactly and end result of fpro sound is not good.
    i don't think tyre should be this loud over soun of wind and screaming engine.

17. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi all
    re the new content and sounds for me.
    • The new content is brilliant, I love the 2 x touring cars and keen to see more developed in the future as usual the 3 x new tracks are top notch.
    • The new sounds in the touring cars are also excellent.
    • I think the new sounds are fine in the Indy car and formula pro. However I am not a fan of single seat cars so I have not tried them a lot.
    • Sadly I just cant get the new sounds to balance in a way that I can use the "older" official content. I tend not to use mod cars so I cant speak re mods
    • No matter what I do the sound of the opposition cars completely drowns out the sound of my car. So much so that the consent on of the power of the AI in corners gives me a headache
    • So basically at the moment I cant use the GTE, GT3, Porsche Cop cars etc.
    • Hopefully sector 3 will either update the older official content shortly, or give us the ability to balance the sounds.
    • Note I find the new sounds in the old content OK when no car is close to me but that's not racing.
    • Also has the AI been updated? In the touring cars I find it excellent.
    Best wishes
    Bob

18. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have the opposite problem. I can’t hear the AI cars when I drive tye BTCC Toyota. I tried to lower the engine sound to 80% of my car but it’s the same thing.

Magus likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not the opposite, because Bob was talking about the older content - not BTCC. Can you record video so others can hear what you're (not) hearing? Then others using BTCC can let you know if what you have isn't normal.

@rlaycock maybe you can do the same, though I suspect (if you don't mind me assuming) that might be a step too far for you.

(While I'm here, note that above you referred to Sector 3 - this is definitely a S397 game :D)

20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

in assetto corsa car sounds makes more sense try Nords at the point where the car jumps upon the road for a few miliseconds and you hear that specific engine sound when wheels are on the air and back to track again
    we dont realy have this in rf2

Last edited: May 14, 2022