Is there a maximum limit on the number of USB Game Controllers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beef36, May 11, 2022.

1. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

Does rFactor 2 have any maximum limits on the number of concurrent USB Game Controllers?

One of my steering wheels has a Ultimate Game Tech (UGT) circuit board, which comes up as 5 separate USB Game Controllers in Windows 10.

In addition to this I have a servo, shifter, handbrake, pedals which brings a total of 9 USB game controllers.

With this UGT wheel connected, I cannot configure the wheel and pedals, and assigning buttons also fails, where if I assign one button, another button's configuration changes.

However when I plug in any other wheel where its internal circuit board comes up as single USB controller, and thus I only have 5 USB game controllers in total, rFactor 2 peripherals configuration works with no issues.

Thus does rFactor 2 have a maximum limit on the number of USB Game Controllers?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. atomed

atomed Member

3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I have like 14 USB and they all work great.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rF2 is OLD, really OLD. I think it originally could only handle just a few different USB ports since the original Devs couldn't look into the future and see all the hardware that would eventually come down the Pike. But S397 did address this several years ago, they increased the number of USB connections that rF2 could recognize, but your setup may still have too many. Hopefully somebody can remember the exact number that S397 increased the limit to. I try to avoid USB Hubs as much as possible, but is there anyway to compress all those USB inputs to one port?

5. atomed

atomed Member

What is to be avoided is USB hubs with a serial arrangement, that's what usually causes issues. Well arranged parallel connection trees are totally okay to use.

6. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

From memory I think the limit is 8 game controllers. Other devices that are connected via USB do not count. I know a few people have hit that limit with wheels, pedals, button boxes, shifters and other related hardware so maybe at some point this limit needs to be bumped. Why is there a limit? Because we also need to real all these controllers every physics tick and if we were to support too many at once that might slow things down. That said on modern hardware I don't think that's a big concern.

GTClub_wajdi, Beef36 and davehenrie like this.
  7. Binny

Binny Guest

Modern hardware that's the problem no optimization for ppl with older hardware even from 2 yrs ago = bad FPS. About time you changed the min requirements & max or optimized the sim better for everyone, in these times not everyone can buy or update or afford new hardware at ridiculous prices. REMEMBER COVID HAS STUFFED THE WORLD IN THIS AREA. Will continue my break till you do a optimization, if you even have that on the to do list ?

8. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

Thanks Marcel and all - My issue is my UGT based wheel. It support lots of funky switches, buttons etc. but comes up as 5 separate Game Controller devices within Windows and is a bit buggy.

Alas Asetek bought out UGT recently and advised wheel manufacturers to withdraw UGT based wheels from the market, so that does not bode well for any future firmware development.

That is a shame as a lot of very expensive wheels manufactured from mid 2020 up to until about a couple of months ago are based on UGT....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marcel Offermans

So if you are not using all 5 of those devices, you could try to see if you can disable the ones you do not use. There might be tools that help you do that, I'm not sure. I even vaguely remember some configuration option in rF2 (check the jsons).

10. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

I, for one, would certainly like a higher USB limit please :D

I've currently got 13 that I can think of off the top of my head, and in reality, probably a few more too...

:D

11. Marcel Offermans

Yeah I know Paul and I have hit this limit a few times myself testing all kinds of cool hardware.

12. Havner

Havner Registered

I've hit the limit myself several times. Fortunately I don't use all of the equipment at once (I have flight sim stuff connected too) and if that is your case HidHide can be helpful.

You can hide some of them with few clicks and let rF2 see only the rest.

If you need them all at once the workaround can be to use vJoy, map few controllers into one vJoy using e.g. Joystick Gremlin. Hide them using HidHide (but only hide for rF2, vJoy/Gremlin would still see them) and let rF2 see the limited amount of controllers, while allowing them work anyway.

In any case I'd like to see the number of devices increased as well.

Beef36, Lazza and Marcel Offermans like this.
  13. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Come on guys, go to a hotel :p:):D

Marcel Offermans likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Give 'em a break, he DOES have a little extra time on his hands right now.... ;)

Marcel Offermans likes this.