Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

That isn't correct. Windows Vista only killed hardware acceleration for the ancient DirectSound API. rF2 is actually perfectly capable of doing hardware accelerated audio now, but since no hardware accelerator on the market supports any recent features we need, we chose not to use it. Also that makes it way easier to achieve a consistent experience for every PC.
    rF2 actually uses quite a lot of cores these days. Just graphics is limited to single-core performance. However, sound, physics, AI, UI, all that sort of stuff each uses its own thread nowadays, so if you run out of cores, eventually that affects game performance regardless

Lars and davehenrie like this.
  2. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

I love the new sound engine, and I'm sure it's going to be tweaked later on to better suit older content, like IBL has been.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Nividia cards are using a software sheduler under DX11 so even the graphics part is not bound on one core but that does not mean that the Code is multicore optimized.
    You can test the core load with task manager and it's still like i said, with one core you will notice a low fps rate, with two cores, you will notice a massive gain even with an SMT simulated Core and with the third core the gain is bareley noticeable even on an 9700k or 5900x. So even a 4 core CPU is capable to handle rFactor 2 threads. I can notice it looking at the core loads and they are really low on the third and forth. Deactivating one core in BIOS changes nothing for the rFactor 2 fps rate

avenger82 likes this.
  4. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

Given that broadband access is a global standard, this parameter should be risen by default to at least 512kbps-1Mbps.
    There are many people that are not tech savvy in my community that enjoy rfactor2 and I'm looking on how to tell them what to do to connect to the next race.
    Any instructions on how to do this is welcome

Neil Tyler, trichens and Lars like this.
  5. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

@Devin
    Hi.
    Did you make changes to the new sound system between the final RC and the stable build release? If not my game got bugged. In the RC everything was great. On release day I switched back to stable, and now I can't hear other cars at all. In the RC it was great I could hear other cars and get a feel for where they were around me. Now there's nothing, I don't know there's a car beside me till we bump. I can drive the infiniti at laguna and not hear an indy car blow by me :(
    I tried opting back into beta just for the hell of it, but no go. My cmp report says everything verifies. Any help/advise will be appreciated.

Regards.

sniper, GTClub_wajdi and delapecs like this.
  6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

That might be not the case for everyone. Faster CPUs won't need as much cores to do the same work, the slower ones will benefit more. Also, you're implying there's nothing else using the CPU while that's not always true. Even Steam might be using one core in the background, and there might be other software running in the computer. You can wave the "I don't have that issue" flag but that's not helpful.

7. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

Hi,

These new sounds are a good step forward. However, after testing it with the Oreca 07, I must admit I'm bit confused.
    Engine is really really shy compared to ambient noises (tyres, gravels, etc) and even AI's engines. When my engine is at the iddle, I almost struggle to identify whether it's on or off.
    I tried different sound setup without any success.
    Any trick to tackle it?

By the way , does anyone knows the difference between "the latest RC" (1128 I guess) and "none" after Q2 update has been released?
    When I opt for one or the other, I can see 250MB are dowloaded, so there must be a difference.

8. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I have to correct myself. I tested only with 64 number off effects with 25% performance loss and not like i remembered with 128. With 256 the fps rate went down from 75 to 46fps, so 25% performance loss for the same level of effects with the old sound engine and nearly 40% for a higher number. Considering the fact that you sometimes have performance problems even with current CPUs, especially in changing weather conditions, this is an exaggerated amount.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    avenger82 likes this.
  9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

If Rfactor2 doesn't run faster with 4 cores than with 3 and even the 3rd one hardly has an effect, then 5, 6 or 28 cores won't help. Background processes basically don't play a significant role, since they take place in the low single digits if the system is configured properly, unless you deliberately let certain tasks run, which doesn't make sense when playing games, let alone testing.

10. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Same issue here and I saw 4-5 memory having the same issue.

11. atomed

atomed Member

It may download it but right now RC and stable are the same.

12. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Yes from what I have red here on the forum, RC and stable (none) are both In sync now.

atomed likes this.
  13. Lethal

Lethal Registered

I would like to ask a question to the community, you know the screens that show the cockpit, what do you think about it?
    In my opinion I would not like to see myself playing on the big screens, I would like to have an option where I can disable it, as it is rendered on all the big screens, and interferes with the fps, it is much more useful to show the MSGM, Studio397 and rF2 logo when disabled!

atomed likes this.
  14. boxer

boxer Registered

I just bought the pack and for me Laguna Seca is the stand out of the Pack... Outstanding job on it.

I wish the tracks had been offered as a pack as I didn't really car for BTCC cars

15. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

whats the preferred sound setting, because cant hear my own car in a race. ?
    Example porsche cup at laguna.
    im using headphones
    20220511193635_1.jpg

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lower sound effect volume, increase Onboard volume. Try all three of the HRTF options and also swap between immersive & the other option for the trackside mode.

atomed likes this.
  17. ThomasJohansen

@davehenrie does not make much difference. seems engine volume is for both in car and opponents.

This sound problem is ridicules, for a month in RC it was a problem and then not fixed or made adjustable in stable... :mad: <- thats my first ever angry smiley.....that's how pissed I am

sniper likes this.
  18. boxer

boxer Registered

For me performance after the update is atrocious... I'm getting single digits FPS. Worst is with the new BTCC cars. I'm also getting micro freezes.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  19. ThomasJohansen

Im less pissed now, found a workaround, using a 5+ year old SB usb soundcard, and the cockpit sound is more on correct level now. So my new motherboard onboard soundcard "realtek" apparently dont work with this game sound system....

davehenrie likes this.
  20. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

You could also make a list of which ones
    Content Car also supports the new sound.

Form Pro V 1.19 dull engine, loud tires and curb noise
    Tatuu's F3-T318, the same.
    Against it:
    GT3, fully ok
    GTE, totally ok
    Oreca, totally fine

A list of what is done and what is still to be done in terms of sound!
    Would be really good.

MikeV710 likes this.