Micro-frame stutters

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by darkojovanoski1986, May 1, 2022.

1. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Hello. I called the thread "Micro-frame stutters" becouse these stutters appear out of nowhere. I can achieve 60 fps for the whole session but the thing is when I press ctrl+f and monitor the fps i get results like 60.1 then 60.0 after that 59.9 and again some of these numbers. This cause stutters while using head tracking and the picture is moving like in steps. Tried to set Max framerate to different numbers but can't fix this issue.
    Does anyone know how can I prevent this from happening? Even if frame rate drop below 60 is not that bad as these micro stutters.
    Tried to set "steady framerate thresh" to 0 but result is the same.
    When counter shows 60.0 game is smooth as butter.
    Thanks

2. lokcy le maoul

lokcy le maoul Registered

mee to with 2080s ..help ;)

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  3. darkojovanoski1986

Wow. That is much better card. I think the rendering is very bad and that's why there are these little oscilations. If fps drop from 60 to 59 the effect wouldn't be that much noticeable but as I said, with head tracking is nightmare.
    I tried to set steady framerate thresh to 0 in player.json but result is the same.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My son has a 3070, he is not a racer but reports micro stutters with his 1st person shooters. Doesn't seem to be a problem with AMD?

5. darkojovanoski1986

I have nvidia 1660ti, so it's rFactor 2 problem probably or there is some setting in player.json thag would do the trick.
    I love rfactor 2 for all it has but setting it to work properly is nightmare

6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

@darkojovanoski1986
    I wonder if what you are seeing is something called 'Tearing'. Google that if you do not know what it is. You might be seeing the tear slowly drift down the screen and when it gets in your eye line you start seeing what you have descripted with stutters. All 60hz monitors are all different, some could be 59.95hz for example. Entering 60 max on a 59.95 will get the drift.
    Just to rule out if it is Tearing. For testing purposes, turn off all your frame rate limiters and test with Vsync turned on in your video card drivers. That will lock your frame rate to your monitor. See if that looks better. If it does look better then you know it's down to 'Tearing'.
    Downside about Vsync is it adds a small bit of Legacy delay.
    This is why people buy gaming monitors with higher Hz speeds or even monitors with G-sync or Free-Sync.

7. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks for the reply mate. I know what is tearing and what causes it. Belive me i tried all possible combinations with vsync, limiting framerates with decimals from other guides but situation is the same. Even tried to lock on 59 fps and use vsync, adaptive sync, but nothing helps. These micro stutters are actually inside the frame, the decimal that is shown after the number of framerates. If I use other program or steam to show fps it shows locked 60 fps all the time but with ctrl+f you can see that decimals and when that number change stutter appear. When it shows 60.0 it's buttery smooth. Seems like the game cannot hold steady framerate all the time. Without vsync I reach 100+ fps but issue is the same. Maybe for a nuance better but then tearing appears.

8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

There is two settings which may help.
    (1). Set replays to record to memory in the player.json. It's in the Game Options section.
    "Record To Memory":true,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)"

(2). Switch OFF all vsync settings in game. Go to nvidia control panel in 3d settings for rf2 and set vsync to FAST. This setting is smooth with no latency. For this to work correctly your FPS must be higher than the refresh rate of your monitor.
    Another setting which can help is to set your max FPS to a PRIME Number higher than the refresh rate of your monitor in the player,json file, I have mine set 89-FPS. The idea is if there is any tearing it's never in the same place twice so is much less noticeable because a prime number is only divisible by it's self. I have found these settings to work really well for me and I have never ran out of memory when I had 16gigs installed. My largest replay I have is 1.3gig, I think it was a 25-lap race at Kyalami with 32 cars. Hope this is of help.

9. darkojovanoski1986

Tried to set Record Memory to true but with no significant results. For the second option I think fastsync doesn't work with rfactor 2 becouse I see tearing all the time.
    Like I said issue is that we can't set fps to specific number which will stag steady without moving. That is the issue for the stutters.

10. Highlandwalker

Sorry it didn't work for you. Fast sync does work with rF2 but your fps must be higher than the refresh rate of your monitor for it to work correctly. I've been using fast sync for over a year without problem. Are you sure you have no windows process running in the background which can cause problems with stuttering.

11. darkojovanoski1986

Formatted the pc and then installed rfactor 2 along the software I need for racing. No antivirus or other heavy programs. If you use single screen without head tracking you can't notice that much these micro stutters but with head tracking they are obvious. I have this problem only in rfactor 2.

12. Highlandwalker

I don't use head tracking so unable help with that. If you want to install a anti-virus program try Kaspersky Anti-Virus, it's very good. I've been using it for over 5-yrs without problems, I've never been infected with a virus or trojen since using it. It doesn't slow programs loading or running either. You can purchase it either for single computer or up to three computers.

13. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks mate. Really appreciate your help and suggestions about the antivirus, will have that in mind.

14. lokcy le maoul

yeah man its ok for me...the tearin dead.... ;)
    my fps to 59.931 and no stuttering or lag !! waou in on ever fsaa fxaa and other, ant hight or full the texture and other..

with rivatuner...and activ vsync in control panel nvidia, the game in off...
    gpu to 55% max..

big thx...

15. darkojovanoski1986

Do you use head tracking? Also do you see frame number to change in decimals when you press ctrl+f?

lokcy le maoul likes this.
  16. lokcy le maoul

hi, sorry for the delay in response.. i think i have solved the problem, having tv and different screens, the fps blocking with rivatuner worked for me, with almost all effects at full speed i only very rarely have stutters with max ai, my gpu is at 65-75% which is perfect... thank you again for your answers....;)

no head tracking....

17. Ahto

Ahto Registered

I had "micro stuttering" with vsync OFF (i personally don't like using vsync). It was very noticeable, even when fps was 150+. I tried to find what's it dependent on. It took me several weeks. Turned out that those stutters were present because of Nvidia setting "Threaded optimization - OFF". After i turned this setting "ON", all stutters were gone.
    Maybe it helps someone here that is experiencing the same stuttering with vsync off.
    Threaded optimization in NVIDIA Control Panel:
    upload_2022-5-4_18-56-43.png

18. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks for the reply! Will try this for sure!

19. darkojovanoski1986

@Ahto thanks for the suggestion but sadly that isn't working. Only reliable way to minimise these stutters is to set vsync to off in NVCP and in game set vsync to on. This way way vsync isn't working, there is some tearing here and there, fps are uncontrolled but while they are at +75 game is very smooth, head tracking also.