trojan virus Generik.ICX ESET virus scanner notification

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JayPasta, Apr 27, 2022.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

I had exactly the same if you deleted the quarantine rf2 file youmust redownload it
    If the file is still under quarantine you must click restore 8nside antivirus quarantine

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Add 'Avira Security' to the list of virus checkers blocking files.

Yes, I had what was said above, a weird UI in Single player.
    20220429215251_1.jpg

So, did one of them Steam 'Verify integrity of game files', it found a few files missing but got this to my horror....
    Capture-virus2.JPG
    Tried many times. I'm now thinking I have a Harddrive fault. Did a Windows hard drive scan, no errors.

After wasting a lot of time, turned out it was Virus checker.
    Capture-virus3.JPG

3. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

I had the same issue last couple of days when I went to install rf2. Bitdefender picked it up. Checked antivirus logs to see the file/folder path and there were two separate folders containing files that triggered antivirus.

a) the Bin folder within rf2
    B) the steam download subfolder under the Common directory

Both were related to the same file. I set exceptions in Bitdefender to ignore both locations. If I only excluded rf2 folder when I verified folders it would go to download the missing file but antivirus would catch it upon download in the steam downloads folder too. Once I added both to antivirus exclusions I uninstalled and reinstalled/redownloaded rf2 and it all works fine.

In my case the problem seemed to be with the overlays.jar file being quarantined - I could start the game successfully but the in-game menus were all messed up.

DJCruicky likes this.
  4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Is it only on release candidate or does it happen on the current release?

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I was on the current release at the time, not the RC.

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I too have Avira and told it to restore the 2 files it detected. It said that it did but the game still dead-ends at the screen shown by DJC. Files are no longer in the quarantine folder and I found one (net.rfactor2.overlay.jar) in /Bin/Bundles/ where it should be with a time-tag matching the time of restoration. So that would seem to indicate a successful restoration though I don't remember the name of the other file and can't find any another file with similar restoration time-tag. So who knows...

Regardless, I tried both of the tricks above for a painless rebuild but neither worked. :( So is there another best rebuild option to avoid a re-install? Too late now to keep fighting. Maybe my attitude will improve in the morning!

P.S. Holy cow DJ you're still up. Gotta be way past midnight for you!

7. Hiigara

Hiigara Registered

Bitdefender founs two Trojan Horses

8. Hiigara

Hiigara Registered

No response from devs?

9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

bit defender is well known for false alarms
    BUT
    a few words from our devs will calm our community down :)

10. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Have another go at doing the Steam 'Verify integrity of game files', but before doing it right click your Avira taskbar icon and click Turn off real time protection for 10 minutes.--->
    off.png

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There are several threads about this, they are looking into it.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Will try that next. It may help with my reinstall failure. I think the reinstall failed because Avira quarantines the same file when it downloads all the rest which prevents the completion of the install process. I think I should not have waited until the end of the download to restore it. By that time it was too late. :rolleyes:

13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

We're looking at it. Everyone is off for the weekend, so Monday will be the earliest.

14. dav_0075

dav_0075 Registered

good after 2 days of research the only solution to play rfactor 2 is to remove the antivirus .... I will therefore go back to the other games while waiting for the developers or others to find a solution ... it's boring because with rfactor2 even if it's the best simulation you still have to do some DIY .... I can understand that it puts off Sunday players

15. Ralph_Raccoon

Ralph_Raccoon Registered

It´s not a rf2 only thing, had the same issue a year ago with Raceroom, so it´s more an antivirus program problem.
    I had the same issues yesterday, i put antivir away from the pc but it sill does not work with checking files on steam.

I went on, updatet rF2 to release candidate and then back to standard and that worked. But it only worked, when antivir is not installed, allthough i fully stopped it, only uninstall helped to get the sim back working

16. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Just saw this on discord,
    A2C19A5E-80C6-45E0-9037-FE6E8256B32E.jpeg

17. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

For anybody having problems with there anti virus programs, Kaspersky Anti-Virus program is very a good alternative. I've been using it for over 5-yrs without problems, I've never been infected with a virus or trojen since using it. It doesn't slow programs loading or running either. You can purchase it either for single computer or up to three computers.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A false positive isn't a bad thing. It's better than a false negative.

At some point you need to either make a decision on whether you trust the the program being flagged, or take the cautious approach and don't use it until it's cleared in your A/V program.

Do you think S397 has let malicious code slip into the files? Do you think Steam is somehow compromised and has embedded something malicious into the files? If you answer No to both those questions, you should have no problem adding the required folders to your exceptions. If that bothers you because you don't want to add an entire folder (or two), is that because you think something can then place other malicious code into those folders? That would require your system to already be compromised.

An antivirus program very rarely can say 100% for sure that you have a virus/trojan/etc (it's almost entirely using heuristics, not actual full-file matches), and it certainly can't tell you 100% for sure that you don't have any. It's an extra chance to be alerted to something potentially harmful, but the user is the one ultimately deciding whether what they're doing is safe.

Any exceptions you add should be as specific as possible though. I wouldn't add the entire rF2 folder under Steam as shown above, for example. Use the alert/log details to find exactly where the file is. Ideally just add the file itself where that's possible.

The most dangerous thing to do with viruses and the like is to place complete trust in a program designed to detect them.

atomed likes this.
  19. Gio Nuvoli

Gio Nuvoli Registered

same problem with Avira,
    deleted Avira

20. analogearthquake84

analogearthquake84 Registered

I am also struggling with the same problem with Avira Antivirus. I added the game folder to the exceptions. Unfortunately, after a few days, the problem returned. The only way out at the moment is to remove the antivirus :(