Max 2017 Plugins

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Wizzo58, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Why doesnt the Max 2017 plugins work any more?
    It seem to be related to plugins provided by game publishers and not 3DS Max.
    Could you please explain why?

2. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

the plugin in the rfactor2 plugin folder don't work. Use that older files. it works on my max 2017.

Attached Files:

3. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Thanks for that. When I loaded rf2, the files get updated, I dont have any older max 2017 plugin files.
    So the good news is Ive tried your plugin and it doesnt crashed max but the GMT is still not converted properly and wont work in mod dev.
    When I load it into 3DSimed, the geometry is corrupted.
    Anyway, The work around is to use 3dsimed to import the gmts and save as fbx, import the fbx into max 20XX, do the modification to your mesh and or texture and save as fbx. Re import in to 3dsimed and export as RF2 gmt or if you still have the old RF2 gJED app, you can import the fbx and export as gmt. Now it works in Mod Dev, Thanks for you help, cheers

4. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

The same applies if you create new GMTs in Max, export as fbx , load into editor, set shaders accordingly and export as gmt.
    Also when exporting in fbx, check that the z axis is up,
    Also if you use the old gJED editor, it uses only DirectX 9 shaders, cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  5. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

Hm.. can you send me please your max file? i can check the problem

6. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Ive tried to upload a few times now and I get this error message, even after refreshing the page.
    "
    The following error occurred
    Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again.
    Pit_Road.zip "

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe too large? Not sure on limits. Try a file sharing site.

8. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

I thought so too, Anyways not to worry about it; The work around I mentioned above is fine by me which is similar to modding with AC.
    Thanks for your help, all the best, cheers

9. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Okay Ive had to cut it up into smaller bit to upload. Have a look and let me know, thanks

Attached Files:

haunetal1990 likes this.
  10. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

amazing. I open the max file, go to the material editor and max has a error.
    Your material settings is corrupt. Make a complete new Multi / Sub object material + new gmt shading material. And after that it working perfect with exporter.

Attached Files:

11. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

It work fine in windows 7 until I upgraded to windows 10. After installing your plugin , it work fine without crashing so that is not the issue now,
    but it wont load into viewer, it crashes. I checked it with 3DSimed and it show the geometry is corrupted.
    Also Ive created a new material with shader and it still wont load into viewer

Attached Files:

12. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Can you send me the upgraded max file for me to try, thanks

13. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

it has only the t1 shader on it, so you musst fix it ;D

Attached Files:

14. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Okay so it now works in the dx 11 viewer. I was using dx 9 shaders which work up until the last rfactor 2 update, but now they dont work.
    I cannot select the track old dx9 shaders in max 2017 as it now crashes, looks like it needs the new shaders. So I will have to reset materials to back to standard and save it, reload the track go through all the track meshes and set the new shaders, it will be very tedious for me. Ive got vertex colour settings on some meshes, very tedious.
    Again thanks for your help. Is there an easier way to convert the dx9 shaders to dx11in max 2017 ?

15. Joan Prim Armengol

Joan Prim Armengol Registered

Check this page. https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/development-tools/3ds-max-material-library
    Download the material library and default textures. You'll need to reselect textures but the shaders will be selected and filled with default textures from the default textures download. I think it should be faster than having to select shaders one by one and then assign some textures for exporting.
    Also keep in mind that dx11 shaders you'll need to convert some textures for PBR materials. https://docs.studio-397.com/develop...ide-in-rfactor2/pbr-fast-material-conversions

Wizzo58 likes this.
  16. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Thanks for your help much appreciated

17. Wizzo58

Wizzo58 Registered

Interesting thing is that since Ive created the new shaders, the old shaders now work :)