Getting "Failed to perform operation" when trying to open RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Nagy, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

I haven't played RF2 in a long time, and when I try to open the game, I'm getting the following very cryptic error message:

upload_2022-4-23_22-50-20.png

There's no further information as to what might be wrong, so I don't know where to begin troubleshooting. Any ideas what this error means, and what I need to do to correct it? I've tried opening RF2 multiple times, both natively and from within Steam, and keep getting the same message. Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Corrupt player.json.

Go to UserData\player folder and move all 4 .json files (player.json, controller.json, custompluginvariables.json, multiplayer.json) to somewhere else. Then try starting the game again.

Note this will reset your in-game profile and controller assignments etc.

3. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks for the quick response, Lazza, but I'm not even finding an rFactor2 User Data folder. These are the only files in my fFactor2Files folder:

upload_2022-4-23_23-26-21.png

There are no other folders associated with RF2 on my C Drive. I have the RF2 executable as a shortcut on my desktop, but no other RF2 files of any kind, although RF2 is showing up in my Steam account.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In steam right-click rF2 -> Manage -> Browse Local Files

5. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks - that allowed me to open RF2, but you're right; all my settings are gone. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me to get this running again...