How to dependably pick an AI level for a nearby, hard race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zanewiller, Apr 14, 2022.

1. zanewiller

zanewiller Registered

How would you pick an AI level that will give you a nearby, hard race without you pounding your rivals or having them squash you?

I frequently end up needing to run an AI race, not knowing what AI to choose for an inconsistent track, picking 100, then, at that point, running as much as 20 laps on target by and by to get to my best, then seeing the AI are ahead or behind and afterward I need to leave, change the AI level, and see what the AI times are. Then I need to rehash that cycle to limit the AI level.

Then I get to qualifying and the times might be different there, as well. So rehash leaving and changing AI level.

Then, at that point, I get to the race and I might blow away the AI or they might blow me away. It never is by all accounts a positive encounter. So rehash leaving and changing AI level.

In any case, now it's so baffling thus much work to observe an AI level that addresses my capacity that I essentially surrender.

Now I'd prefer simply have elastic banding AI than what we right now have.

What's more, to be clear this isn't restrictive to this sim, it is by all accounts an issue for all sims.

For what reason might we at any point have auto determined AI in view of training or potentially qualifying times? Just set them to an AI level where their laptimes are +/ - some percent of my best laptimes? I understand there are corner cases with that however I'm certain we could figure out the issues and have a lot more pleasant framework than we do now.

2. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

you have to do atleast a qual, before race else your AI will not be tuned in to track and conditions.
    after a practice session or qual, the AI stores what it have learned to drive better, just like you.
    My preffered AI settings are:

AI strength: 95-105% (depending on track/car)
    I set the strength so they are at same speed or a sec slower than me, to give some room for my own mistakes, but so the qual better than me.
    AI aggression: 65% - makes them challenging to keep behind
    AI limiter: 8% - makes a more wide AI field with different pace.

What I like about the AI is that they can make mistakes too. I smile every time I see one making small driving errors, it makes them feel more alive.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  3. justposted

justposted Registered

You make a good point, @zanewiller. Really all you want is to choose your grid starting position and set the AI skill range, then do your qualifying laps. That feels instinctively like the wrong way round, but effectively it is what you do by doing races and adjusting AI yourself. As long as the game reports your AI rating, you can see your progression as you get faster.

The AI skill range is what frustrates me the most, actually. AMS2 has started to address this by having an AI error variable. Even with the rF2 AI limiter down to 5, they drive around in a train within a few tenths of each other in my experience, so often if you drop off the back then you are lost unless/until they starting crashing into each other or bunch up at corners. I would be happy if I could set a range of, say, 90-100 for the AI (with that figure attached to the driver names) and then I could pick my preferred AI skill level myself based on the rating of the cars that I find myself alongside in quali or races.

4. ThomasJohansen

Isn't this what "AI limiter" is for? I set it to 8% then there is a range in the AI of how fast they are. Its more realistic and they dont drive like a train.

5. justposted

justposted Registered

That's what the AI limiter is for, but it never works out for me for some reason. I've just run some tests at 0%, 5% and 95% limiter in the BMW M4, Dallara IR18 and Oreca 07 at Spa and Portland. The best lap times are within a 1s range over 10-20 laps.

To me, that's too close. You'd think that with a range of 0-99% on the limiter, you could go from 0.5s to maybe 5s as a best lap time range. But it doesn't even seem to be clear whether 5% or 95% produces the wider range. I believe lower is supposed to give the wider range, but I don't find that in practice.

With a 1s range, you end up with a train, albeit one that slowly spreads out. But it means that if you get your AI skill level a bit wrong, then you can end up way out in front or dropped off the back. Online I see more like a 5s range, which means I always end up finding somebody to battle with and that would make for a better offline experience for me.

Maybe there's something wrong with my settings somewhere. What sort of range do others see?

6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

As far as I understood the limiter (still something from rf1 days) it just limits the differences between AI's. So 0 means AI is allowed to drive to their full potential. 50% would mean that they are restricted to only 50% of their respective differences in speed, braking and so on.

That is why I always race without a limiter. If they then don't spread out, it isn't a fault of the ai-limiter but of the individual ai-driver-files beeing programmed too close together in performance...

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  7. ThomasJohansen

@Flaux I thought all AI's had same potentionel until they were divided by the AI limiter. I have seen in the rcd file that it has an option to specify some sort of skill.

But I do think the AI limiter works ok, but it could be improved to not affect top speed but only quality of entering and exits turns and chance of errors.

@justposted dont know if it makes a different but I also have aggression set to 65%.

8. Flaux

Flaux Registered

9. ThomasJohansen

Flaux likes this.