Spotlight On... The McLaren MP4/8

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 18, 2022.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

uhmmmm the Corvette C5 R & C6R? 2018 Porsche 911? There are a few others that come to mind.... ;)

2. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

V12 is bigger number, so it is just objectively better by maths , physics and style.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Now yer sounding like ME back when I argued the V10 Viper was superior to the merely V8 Corvette.

4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

it was probably just a reference to the Honda V12 the 1990 and 1991 cars had.

5. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Guys i was just joking ;)
    but i do like the V12

davehenrie likes this.
  6. evi

evi Registered

[QUOTE="davehenrie, post: 1095414, member: 45436"Now, can we get a shift box for the Schumie years where one click brought you from 7th to 2nd...???[/QUOTE]

I think if you map a button as a "2nd gear" then it will switch to 2nd from anywhere.

7. Jerry31

Jerry31 Registered

I sent a message to the Studio to let them know that the gear change is still automatic and that's a shame. S397 does not respond and that too is a shame......

8. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

I guess some people dont look in setup options of the car..this is here when car was release senna setup.jpg

Lazza likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ninja'd with basically exactly the same shot upload_2022-4-22_20-33-11.png

It's a feature of the car, and you can disable it.

kiko0602 likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Senna drove the car with the automatic gearbox, yet you are superior to Senna?

11. Gio Nuvoli

Gio Nuvoli Registered

Better you wrote to a caregiver

12. Jerry31

Jerry31 Registered

Thanks @Lazza @kiko0602 for the constructive and informative answers!!!! @davehenrie how wanting to drive a car on manual makes you wonder if I feel superior to Senna. You feel superior to your neighbor when you drive in manual and he drives in automatic. Your answer is therefore useless.

13. Jerry31

Jerry31 Registered

@Gio Nuvoli oui peut-être, je vois que les messages sont instructifs ici.......

Gio Nuvoli likes this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The CAR was driven that way by one of the greats of all time. Yet you do not want to simulate that? Would you drive Jim Clark's Lotus with an autobox? Since 'realism' isn't a thing for you, lets add turbos and drs.
    My subtle point was and is: If Senna the Worlds Greatest didn't stuff up his nose at an automatic shifting car, then why should you? Micheal Schumacher didn't need a button to shift from 7th to 2nd or 1st, but he used it. Because it made him faster. Same with the Mclaren, Senna could have EASILY demanded a manual transmission because he knew how to drive a manual better than just about anyone in the world. Yet that master had no trouble putting his ego aside simply to drive faster.
    There are plenty of manual transmission cars available for rF2, the Mclaren should not be one of them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    memoNo1 likes this.
  15. Comante

Comante Registered

While I agree that he could have simply read the car release or looked at the setup page before being unrespectful with the developer and the product, and he deserve all the slaps he is receiving, this is a game and a simulator, and driving a car "what if" is perfectly reasonable. He didn't broke the sacred rule "this is Senna's car, you can't touch it" because there is no such rule.

Lazza likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

:) Well....there SHOULD be! Just like the Kite camera should only be allowed in replay mode. And.....

17. Jerry31

Jerry31 Registered

Ce n'est pas de l'ego, c'est de l'ignorance et de la surprise. Google translate n'est pas la meilleure chose pour tout comprendre sur la McLaren. J'ai juste l'impression d'être devant des gens certes passionnés et connaisseurs, mais l'indulgence ne semble pas les étouffer. J'espère que vous ne faites pas la même chose avec vos enfants pour les éduqués. Surtout quand j'en lis avec le mot traduit "slap". Je suis ouvert à la discussion avec les mains si tel est votre souhait ;-) !! @Comante

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    Lazza likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I hope everyone can see the humour of this exchange (from both Comante and Jerry31), and the tone is kept suitably friendly ;)

Something was overlooked, some things got said, it's all sorted out now. :D

pkelly likes this.
  19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The cars of 1993 had every imaginable driver aid on them. the Williams and the McLaren had fully automated transmission systems, traction control, ABS and magic ride height adjusters.

Which is why the FIA hastily banned them for 1994 at that year’s Canadian Grand Prix

What you have here is realism.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Obviously i am :p Don't go a read post 5 of this thread whatever you do :eek: