How much would it really cost to port to Linux ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zanewiller, Apr 21, 2022.

1. zanewiller

zanewiller Registered

First let me say I'm no engineer nor do I figure out the expenses of creating games or applications.
    I've seen this inquiry regarding solicitations to foster rFactor 2 for Linux. I've perused a few posts with respect to expenses and how the significant obstacle might be cost related. I couldn't say whether any of that is valid or not.

Assuming that there is a reality to this and this is a main consideration in creating rFactor for Linux, then, at that point, what is a financial plan cost to finish this and to make it work with Linux Steam too ?

I mean expecting this is the significant obstacle then how much financing is required and how much continuous month to month spending plan to keep up with it too.
    I accept there would be an underlying spending plan to recruit more engineers, and afterward progressing expenses to keep up with and fix bugs and so on.

Much appreciated. ?

2. guenther

guenther Registered

I can't really answer that, but I want to add two remarks on this:

- It would require to port MS Visual C++ stuff, which is basically is a rewrite
    - Why should S397 put in the effort for like 2-digit user numbers wanting to utilize Linux?

Especially with Proton and WINE's advancement in the last years, I think it _might_ make more sense to focus on this approach.

Additional: The hardware drivers are also needed, and I doubt any manufacturer is willing to do a port for a minority of users. Don't get me wrong, as a Linux user I would appreciate a port, but I don't think it's realistical from the economic or the technical side.

avenger82, trichens and atomed like this.
  3. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Steam Linux Users are at roughly 1%.
    rFactor2 has at max 2000 users online simultaneausly.
    So from the sales point of view it does not make sense.
    But for a better world, freedom and users perspektive it would make sense.
    But, to keep the effort low, i would at least try to support Steam Proton.
    Steams Proton works just fine out of the box.
    Steam/Valve did A LOG in the last couple of years to make Windows Games work out of the box on linux.
    Most run at similar performance. Typically is a 1-4% fps loss. Rare titles run faster on Linux than on Windows.
    For Logitech and Fanatec there are drivers which work with ffb on Linux.

Logitech:
    https://github.com/berarma/new-lg4ff

Fanatec:
    https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff

Check Games for compatibility or advice in case of issues:
    https://www.protondb.com/

atomed likes this.
  4. trichens

trichens Registered

It's not just rF2 that would need a Linux version though.
    How many of us use SimHub and/or Crew Chief?
    Would you give those up to be able to use Linux?
    Not only would they need Linux versions, they are using various plug-ins which would also have to be re-coded.
    These applications have been provided for free - or minimal cost - and it's unrealistic to expect the authors to create and maintain another version for a handful of users.

A Linux dedicated server would be nice though, but that will have the same issues with plug-ins...

I have seen this being requested before but I'm really not sure what benefit this would provide?
    And of course ProtonDB is really just WINE under the hood...

5. Filip

Filip Registered

32 773

6. Steve Cunningham

Steve Cunningham Registered

Since the quoted user base is obviously windows base this should not be considered in the question of why would anyone develop linux port or version since all the users are currently windows users.

This is not really a reason to NOT port to linux or NOT create an actual linux version.

The question is are there enough linux gamers that would enjoy playing rFactor 2 via linux that it would become worth while for devs to do it.
    Sort of like saying only xbox players only use xbox so why bother porting those games to playstation since all xbox players are using xbox.

Worth it for Steam because a profit from all games from all linux gamers is likely and not so likely that they will try rFactor 2 specifically.
    The pool is still limited as with windows and likely no profit in it IMO.

However, Steam would likely profit overall from all the choices available with this umbrella proton/steam.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  7. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

This would be interesting, the hosting costs for the leagues would be considerably lower.
    And also, deploying a pre-configured server would be much simpler, it's a matter of building a docker image and that's it, it can even be automated so that it replicates itself on demand. (For the cofcofLFMguyscofcof) :p
    P.S. I know I can use windows dockers, but they suck bad and have license fees.

8. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

A Linux dedicated server, with improved features that make it easier to manage content and events would be of great value indeed

SLK likes this.
  9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I'm not a Windows user and I play rFactor 2. I'm not the only one, and there are also more users that keep a Windows partition just to play.

Looking only at the figures is very narrow-minded. There's more benefits than plain money, like technical and stability. Having your game run on a very stable OS is good. Having built-in and tested multi-platform capabilities is future-proof. Having users testing on multiple OS makes a more polished, performant and bug-free product. GNU/Linux users are specially good at reporting bugs, and given the right tools can even do more than that. Servers are easier to setup, cheaper and more stable.

Hardware support isn't currently the best, but this is changing. Logitech wheels have good support (except the newest G923) because the manufacturer is releasing technical docs. Wheels using standard USB definitions (mainly high-end devices) are already supported. Manufacturers should use standards, that's good for everybody. Also, we can create our own standard tools, better than every wheel manufacturer having their own config tool. Manufacturers could change their minds when they see devices supporting standards are better received.

Despite all of this, they're so resource limited that putting resources on a GNU/Linux port wouldn't probably be a good idea. And I hate to say this because I would really like to have a native port for all the benefits it would bring to all users, Windows users included.

They could still bring us support using Proton. It wouldn't have all the benefits but some, and they'd be building a bigger and more diverse community that could be important in the future. For this we would need them to treat bugs on Proton the same as bugs on Windows, do some testing on their part, or at least hearing closely for regressions and bugs in updates.

I don't know how feasible it would be at this moment but I think it should be taken into account whenever it's possible.

10. trichens

trichens Registered

Do you use any "add on" tools like SimHub or CrewChief with this?

11. Bernat

Bernat Registered

No, nothing else.