Colour Correction and/or Profiles / luts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CeeBee, Apr 17, 2022.

1. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

Is there a way in the RF2 game settings (or most likely the ini files?) to change things like exposure/saturation/contrast and temprature.

As a personal preference thing I find RF2 to be very "warm", nearly jaundiced sometimes and not "crisp"? (and before the fanbois start breathing heavily and reaching for their inhalers, p.e.r.s.o.n.a.l p.r.e.f.e.r.e.n.c.e.. its just a game. )

If Reshade is required does someone have one that gets it close to the ACC toning using the (where acc is ACES profile)?

EDIT: I re-read this post before submitting it and decided a visual reference is probably warranted. loaded up the things i could find that match in both games and are stock, gt3's at Nurburgring, both at 11am and both with default "cloudy", you will see the top half rf2 is very "yellow"?

and closer to AMS2, but still.. yellow?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  2. Radkappe

Radkappe Registered

Try Tappis RF2 widget. Here you can select presets with or without reshade + lute and other things too

CeeBee and atomed like this.
  3. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Are these comparisons opt out or RC?

4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Still to bright im my G2 in VR in the RC - would like more saturation etc. without reshade just in game too choose.

5. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

RC in these tests.

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

for me it's the sun light with cloud settings the issue, better made with ACC, and even AMS 2 is more alive. Too much dark and liveless in rF2.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  7. Alex Sawczuk

There were adjustments to lighting in the RC which reduced the amount of warmth in the lighting. I would agree that overcast in your video looks very warm and it's something we should look into. I would say ACC looks extremely cold too though.

atomed likes this.
  8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

First time I gree with you. In rfactor2 its always dark even when you choose to drive in a sun clear day it’s dark and there is a lack of sun light and the colors are to much warm .

9. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

is the longer term permanent solution not going to be easier to just expose saturation/temperature/exposure/contrast sliders in the ui? (or at least in one of the ini files?) because as with FFB i think colour is subjective, and everyone will haev their own ideas on it.

For completion im adding the same track/car combo in iRacing, i cant "match" it like the others because the layout above is not available in AI racing but i think it conveys the idea, iRacing is WAY to bright for an overcast day and they also lean hevily on the yellow pallette.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  10. Alex Sawczuk

Whilst I do generally favour allowing the user to have the ability to customize, it's a balance as the more variables you add the harder it becomes to have consistent output. (I'm being non comital on your request here)

I would add that Nordschliefe probably needs an update, as the overall assets are too warm since they were authored before past lighting updates.

sg333 and CeeBee like this.
  11. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered

hahahaha! yup i get it. I author several very technical pieces of software that marry a cad environment to our MS Dynamics ERP backend, also juggling that the transition requires transitions between cpp, c# python and several ever changing API's.. and it seems like the more requests I honor, the more I get.. now when they ask, I say "the platform does not support the transfer of information in compatible manner" or some other word salad depending on the audience ;)

12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think your tone doesn't make it easy to have any less salad like conversation as you come across pretty aggressive, not just here but also in the RC topic and starting a topic calling out fanboizzzzzz isn't how I would start a meaningful conversation, or should I?

Anyway, getting back on the real issue here: rF2 had staturation, exposure sliders and all the jazz in the past, when people traited HDR profiles on the forums that worked in some circumstances well, in some better and in some conditions not all all. It was a total mess. I think, it's as with everything, if you are trying to strike a balance for a computer game that is fully dynamic with mixed conditions it becomes harder and harder to make it perfect in all conditions and iRacing is a good example for this. When they had backed in lightening it looked very realistic at times while it's more of a balancing act now. The problem with ACC and some of the other games is, that the world appears purple in those games. I don't know where the current trend in racing games is coming from, but my world doesn't look purple. AC with CSP has similar issues, same goes for some trending reshade presets. rF2 aswell as iRacing tend to be more on the yellow side. From the examples presented here I actually think that iRacing looks pretty spot on as it's certainly not the same weather as in ACC with full cloud coverage but scattered cloud coverage so that you have more direct sunlight input and thus more warm colours. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Anyway, alot of this comes ofcourse down to design desicions, limitations and personal preferences. But I wonder why it's a good idea to spend ressources on soemthing that was erazed from the game at one point for good reason just to bring back something so that users can tweak the crap out of their game graphics. From my experience it's rather unusual to even allow this and the FFB of AMS2 is a good example why some things should be as simple as possible to offer a consistent experience. It also makes feedback from users and development a mess.

13. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I don't play much ACC, but it is true that at first glance I felt more in reality with its darker and colder color palette.
    (obviously in cloudy weather).
    As for the sunny weather, it is true that RF2 is still very dark and not very lively in the color palette.

Also something that I noticed is that many times when I choose 100% clear weather the clouds still appear on the track.

I know that the perception depends on the monitors and/or VR glasses that we have, but because of my work I constantly test monitors and glasses and they all give the same result.

Anyway, this is just my personal opinion.
    hope it helps... :oops::oops:

14. dazzer

dazzer Registered

for my taste, the color palette in GT sport is great in clear weather. (obviously removing excess reflections and motion blur)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a last comment, I must say that the works that have been done with the rainy weather have improved a lot in RF2 with each improvement I feel more immersion in the graphic section