SOLVED Change of monitors & bad performance in 4k

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kro388th, Apr 9, 2022.

1. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi, I have been running rF2 in 4k on my 50” LG TV @ 60Hz for a while now & its been good ! I just up graded my panel from the 50”4k TV to a 55” 4k gaming monitor ‘Phillips momentum’ with up to 144Hz available threw the display port. I just hooked it up & Im blown away with how amazing all my games look & play now on this beast, well except for rF2 :( idk whats up but it looks terrible compared to how it was on the TV?o_O Up close its fine & the details & lighting are good and im over 120 fos in 4k @ 144hz with the 3080ti & R9 but it has real bad shimmer and now has a glitch , it stutters & had a frame drop that i also feel in the wheel where it goes from 120 fps to like 9 :rolleyes: and then back up. Also the GPU is going from 70/80 to 100% at times while the CPU is as low as 9% o_O The shimmer makes it look like its not even in 4k with jaggies where on the TV i had zero shimmer & smooth game play . I have triple checked the gpx & its set to the native desk top 4k @ 144hz .. i also tried lowering the desk top and game Hz to 60 like on the TV but the issue persists. Fences & grandstands are a visual disaster! I just don’t get it?? Never had issues like this with rF2 . All my other sims look amazing & smooth as butter.. :( any suggestions? Im thinking of a reinstall or maybe just delete the cfg file & let steam build a new one? THX in advance for any help! :)

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Do you have any vsync or other sync on? Can you post screenshot of graphic settings from rF2 menu?

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thx for the reply! NO vsync on, i did try ‘ software’ lastnight & it seemed worse lol, i will post when i get home ( at work) when i first fired up the game on the new monitor it defaulted the settings to the lowest 9x7 or something like that.. so i went to the gpx settings threw steam & my rez & hz were available so i set that. car & inside dash look great , its the environment that is taking a hit compared to the old TV .. & the glitch.. i can prob learn to live with the visuals but the sudden frame drops are a killer:eek:

4. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Here is my gpx settings for rf2
    gfx.jpg

5. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Try this:
    - Change AUTO for your card in the graphics settings
    - Change Anti Aliasing to 4x
    - In NvidiaInspector put VSYNC ON
    - In NvidiaInspector put maxframerate at 116 fps
    - In NvidiaInspector put pre-redered frames at 1 fps
    - In NvidiaInspector put Power Management at Max

kro388th likes this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah software and GPU sync are worse, the only in-game sync option that is sensible is video. In-game settings look good to me.

kro388th likes this.
  7. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Thanks guys!
    Ok, so it seems this is a deeper issue than rF2. I made some of the adjustments above and had some better results But I did go back to AA @ 8. I also found I was driving a track for an upcoming event & found it was not very optimized so when I went to 397 content to continue testing the shimmer is allot better. The glitch issue however has now spread to the other games :confused:...After testing into the wee hours I found the issue to be happening every 60 seconds and only happening with the GPU. I fired up a game and launched task manager & watched the graphs, the CPU, MEM ,DISK graphs were all stable but the GPU graph showed a spike every 60 seconds and this resulted in the frame drop every time :rolleyes::eek: ..So I started looking for anything trying to monitor or update any apps ectt.. but the network traffic was not showing anything that coincided with the GPU spike:( .. Last thing I did was to reinstall the latest GPU drivers & this seemed to take most of it away for now :) but it still has a shallow spike every 60 sec's, it's hardly noticeable now where before it was a deep spike that resulted it the frame drops/skips glitch .. So I'm going to just see how it goes from here ...

8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Well it did not go well ..lol so now i have a serious glitch issue lol Guess my only option now is to do a driver wipe & reinstall ..

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Well ... 10% of the time it's something simple 5% it's pure hell .. 85% of the time it's user:confused::D:eek: turns out the glitch was caused by my desktop background pictures being in slide show moad :rolleyes: .. I read in the monitors user manual to be aware of screen burn from prolonged idol images so I simply set my slide of all sim screen shots show to 1 min:). Thus, the glitch every 60 seconds o_O..One of this amazing monitors features is multiple sources with what they call PBP or 'picture by picture' where you can run up to 4 sources or 2 PC's & an Xbox with a divided screen section etc .. so that feature allowed the screensaver program to stay running even when the screen was in use... sheesh .. I have been pulling my hair out, uninstalling & reinstalling programs, looking for malware, scanning forum threads all day and 1/2 the night ..DOH ...:eek: :D man ....haha glad that's over & 80% shimmering was from the poorly optimized track as on say Daytona it looks allot better. Thanks for listening:oops:;) I'm going to go lay down now ..lol

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    davehenrie and Lazza like this.