Oculus Quest 2 - Cable use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeferson Richart, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

I currently have the Oculus Rift CV1 and am interested in upgrading to Quest 2.
    My intention is to use the Quest 2 with cable connected to the PC, as I will only use it for racing. But researching about it, I saw comments saying that the power charge that comes through the cable connected to the PC is not enough to charge the battery beyond what it is used for. That way, if, for example, the battery is low and I want to participate in a race, the Oculus will probably work for a short time. I would have to fully charge it first so I could do a few hours of running.

If that's the case, over time, when that battery starts to lose performance and has less charge, our racing time will also decrease.
    If the other VR's are capable of being powered only by the PC cable, why didn't Quest 2 follow that? It should be able to be powered only by the cable, independent of the battery.

Could any Quest 2 owner confirm this for me?

2. Craig Waddell

Craig Waddell Registered

I had a RiftS and went to a Q2 and from a sound and visuals standpoint the Q2 is a decent upgrade.

Your point about the battery is unfortunately correct and for me is a big downside to using the Q2 for sim racing. If you pay for the extortionate Oculus link cable then the charging rate is much better than most of the aftermarket cables. That being said I probably only manage 4 of so hours until I start getting battery warnings.

I've since bought a Reverb G2 which has better visuals, sound and doesn't have the battery issue.

The only way it is inferior to the quest is the need to use Steam VR for all games as the native Oculus connection which I think generally performs well for most games, does not work on the G2

3. Jorge Fernandez

Jorge Fernandez Registered

Hi, i bought quest 2 two weeks ago, when i bought it also bought a unofficial link cable, if you play with the cable , the quest 2 doesn't charge and lose battery when you're playing but a team mate has quest 2 too and he has oficial oculus link cable and he hasnt this problem because the quest doesnt lose the charge

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Jeferson Richart likes this.
  4. Jeferson Richart

Thanks for the information George.
    So with the official cable, it is possible to racing several hours without problems.
    Interesting

5. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

It’s nothing to do with the quest 2 and to some degree the cable to, but the official cable is the best one. I used the oculus link cable with my quest 2 and it charged my quest up and would maintain it at 100% no problem at all for any VR game. It’s all about your USB ports and how much power they can supply.
    Dependent on USB port output your quest will either charge up, or it will take hours and hours and hours for it to run to zero percent or if you have a poor output it will be down to zero percent within three hours.
    That being said, I use my rift s for sim racing, for all my other non sim racing vr games I have been using quest 2 and airlink since last October and now my cable is gathering dust. I would not recommend airlink for sim racing, stick to a wired vr connection.
    It’s a personal preference due to the quest 2 weight compared to rift s and I personally don’t like the compression from link in fast paced moving environment games ( with normal first person games it’s negligible ) and decided I’d take the sde of rift s and it being lighter, than the advantages of quest 2.
    I’m not bashing either product, I love them both, but it’s my personal preference the way I use each headset.
    It would take many years to kill off the quest 2 battery from it constantly being on charge. Let’s be real the majority of people will upgrade their headset long before the battery state becomes an issue. Even if it did become an issue, it’s £300 for many years entertainment which is still value for money and I don’t see there being many people arriving at that cross roads having to make that decision. It’s the same for the rift and rift s owners with dead cables and controller drift, hardware just dies and you move on to the next generation.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    juanchioooo likes this.
  6. Jorge Fernandez

Maybe the problem is the usb port , i will check this but i think as you, the offical cable is the best option

7. Jeferson Richart

@jamesleegte ,
    I understand your point that things have to evolve and we have to jump to the next generation. But I already have Rift CV1, and going to a generation that doesn't suit my use (simulator for several hours straight) is not worth it. So I want to understand why I see many complaining that Quest 2 does not charge during play.
    If I really have this problem, I'll stick with my CV1.

In addition, an expense that for Europeans for example may be insignificant (£300 in this case), for others it may not be so. I'm from Brazil and these technologies are very expensive. Quest 2 here for example is the value of 3 minimum wages in the country. I don't just earn a minimum wage, but even so, it's a value that is not insignificant to me. And Quest 2 is not officially sold here, so I can't return it and if it has a problem and needs some support, I don't have anyone to turn to either.

Anyway, thank you very much for your information and contribution.

8. jamesleegte

jamesleegte Registered

If you have a weak motherboard which has weak USB port output and or are using weak usb 2 or 3 connections the quest 2 won’t charge. These people will complain that the quest 2 and their link cable fail to charge up or maintain charge to the headset.
    If you have a strong motherboard with strong USB C port output the quest 2 will charge up and these people have no complaints.
    I race in discord groups with folks that use link and they have no issues with charging the quest, the same as I had no issues with my quest staying at 100% for hours on end. They all have decent spec rigs with a decent motherboard which has a USB C port.
    A good rule of thumb here would be if your motherboard is under five years old and has a USB C port and you are using the oculus cable, there’s a high chance it will charge up or at least take many many hours to drop to zero percent. Longer than any play session for sure.
    It’s not the quest or the cable that have issues, it’s the user set up that is the issue. Similar to someone with a 1050ti, it’s not going to run a reverb G2, that’s the user at fault not the G2. The only difference being it’s easy for hp to state and publish which gpu’s can run their headset, where as publishing the motherboard, the ports, the usb connection and circumstances for this are almost endless. All oculus can state if that usb c to usb c is preferred and recommended for the best overall experience.
    I get why people are then disappointed when their rig can’t maintain quest charge, as it can be a gamble for them, with no black and white data to decide from.
    Link is very greedy for both gpu usage and power output. If you have the rig to supply both then you will be fine. If you don’t then expect to not be happy.
    I personally don’t think the quest 2 is good for sim racing due to the nature of link compression, which is exaggerated greatly in fast moving environments.
    I prefer rift s to quest 2 for sim racing and if you are happy with the cv1 stick with that and hold tight to see which new headsets get released this year that use display port and usb cable configurations.
    The quest 2 has essentially no sde and that will be the only advantage compared to a cv1 or rift s, but that comes at the cost of link compression, which I find very distracting and off putting compared to sde.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    Jeferson Richart likes this.
  9. Jeferson Richart

Perfect. I'll take your advice and stick with CV1 for now, waiting for new releases.
    Thanks

10. Jorge Fernandez

Im very happy with my quest 2 but its true, sometimes you can see some compresions issues, but for me its a better option than cv1 , i had cv1 and in rf2 i had some crash problems with it, i never had rift s but betwen cv1 and quest 2, i think quest 2 is the best option