Adjusting the cars rideheight from 9.0cm to 6.0cm with minimal alterations

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by EmperorOfFinland, Mar 2, 2022.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So i have a problem, i need to drop the cars rideheight from 9.0cm to 6.0cm but i should try to keep the current physics as they are now currently

I could use graphical offset to adjust it down but is that the best way as i would like to keep the physics how they are at the moment.

As graphical offset is not supposed to affect the physics but they seem to affect the physics of the car by allowing and disallowing grounding of the car.

What is the best way to go about doing this?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I experimented with the graphical offset back with GTR2, it SAID it did not affect physics, but I made a car that sat about 6ft above the wheels. Having the car body that high extremely affected the physics, the car would lift it's front wheels with any throttle application, & I mean lift, you could flip the car onto it's back if you gave it enough throttle.
    Now that was an extreme presentation, but it demonstrated there is SOME affect. Small changes might not produce easily noticeable affects, but something would be happening.(however tiny).
    Sounds like you may have to either relocate the floor or the pickup points, but hopefully a chassis modder can bring in more information.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Maybe GTR2 changed how it was implemented - I just put the Skip Barber up 2.0m in devmode and there was no discernible change to physics. It drove about as normally as the Skip ever does.

I did need to test on a track without garages though, as the car was making contact with the ceiling and doing some ugly things to the suspension...

@EmperorOfFinland I think lowering the car shouldn't affect what happens with the Undertray points, but I would want to test that and, indeed, whether the body will contact the road or other objects when it shouldn't.

Ideally though, you have the model set up correctly (floor at 0 Y/Z [height]), and the physics set up with the correct ride height. I think it's worthwhile having things so that 0 graphical offset is required, and 0 CISH is also ideal for the physics. It'll work with those corrections in place, I just prefer everything to be on the same page.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Graphical offset normally doesn't change physics, unless you put the model very very low.

5. Pocisk

Pocisk Registered

Try to change in HDV file:
    GraphicalOffset=(x.xxxx, 0.090, x.xxx)
    To:
    (x.xxxx, 0.060, x.xxx)

GraphicalOffset=(0.0, 0.0, 0.0) // does not affect physics! This just moves the vehicle body for whatever reasons you may have.

6. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So the main issue is that i fixed couple of the cars grounding by adjusting the graphical offset in general, unfortunately i lack the knowledge on the chassismodding to edit the rideheight on my own. i know how to adjust the cars aero and other stuff but adjusting the chassis does not have that many tutorials on it currently

the model is almost scraping the ground in general as its a groundeffect car so it kinda has to be quite low to begin with