Now THIS is a great summary of OUR user experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Jul 6, 2021.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the language can be misinterpreted or written badly, at no time do I talk about my life.....lifetime was the sale...or do I need to go and redeem the contract...no, not even the desire to verify everything again. ..do like a certain person on the forum, interpret what you want

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, I'm not even sure what we're talking about now :p

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Pretty sure the ISI thing was lifetime access to online services only. "Lifetime" I suppose is open to interpretation, yours or game [shrug].
    upload_2022-2-7_9-16-24.png

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

that is later, when "isi" came out with its launcher, rfactor2 did not exist in steam:rolleyes:o_O

5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

is that I'm a little old now:(:confused:

if you look at the logo of my image Benny Hill appears in the background ... you can already imagine how old I am:mad::(

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure why this matters (Lifetime or not) but it was always regarding lifetime access to online rather than paying annually. You can find a post from Gjon in Nov 2011 where he says it sounds like a good idea (it wasn't initially going to be an option).

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I wanted to make money I think "€35 for the first year and a half" or Lifetime which was €65" and you would never pay rfactor 2 again"....and they offered 12 months for €11 for renewal",... I don't remember if It is exactly like that, as I say, it has been years since I bought it, as it came out, I would have to look at the date of purchase, which will be around the beginning of 2012 or something like that, I have a bad memory, it was the same at the end of 2012:rolleyes::confused::confused::cool:

8. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Just wanna give my two cents: I´ve tried all and iRacing has, by far, the best AI of all racing sims. Its pretty much the complete opposite to rF2. Especially setting it up (You can define skills by drivers, download IRL driver packs etc.). So the "I only race offline thus not using iRacing" is not completely reasonable :p And you dont need to buy cars to race against them, just the one YOU drive

9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

iRacing is awesome. and I love that they now offer AI.
    One problem, though. No pay, no play. The moment your sub runs out, the fun stops. The more you spend, the more it hurts when you stop, and we all have to stop at some point.

Some have plenty but, most of us only have some.
    I don't expect iRacing to provide free access for life, just offer a reasonable cost alternative for offline users. As things are, it's like paying for an expensive unlimited seafood buffet when you only need a salad. The real benefit of such mistake is the education you get by doing so. It pays to learn quickly.

GertjanD, K Juliot and FS7 like this.
  10. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

I re-downloaded RF2 again on Friday. I am a ACC racer mainly, and decided to get into LMP endurance racing etc. I also downloaded AMS2 at the same time in order to compare them all - AC, ACC, IR, RF2, AMS2...the only one I don't have is Raceroom. RF2 is by far the most difficult to setup, and I took me 2 days of going through forums to discover some of the FFB effects I was feeling were crazy. Over-amplified kerb interactions that would snap the wheel from your hand, huge grainy feel on a DD2 base. A few fanatec tweaks later and a bit of JSON file editing and all is OK now, but the learning curve is just nuts. I work in software, so I am not afraid to dip into a JSON file if required...but I shouldn't have to in order to get basic FFB to work correctly.
    The FFB out of the box on RF2 is pure crap. It needs tweaking (A LOT) and refinement. I had to majorly reduce JOLT. I had to then discover that the natural damper in the fanatec driver has a conflict with the FFB from RF2. Just stupid things really. Not to mention some cars FFB is too light, others will pull your arms off at the same setting. Some legacy cars look and feel crap too. The F2 2012 for example. Even the new Ligier LMP2 feels very light on the steering, although this may be down to the cars natural caster angle. I ramped up the ffb multiplier for this car, but it still lacks the feel of some others (Oreca for example).
    Don't even get me started on creating an offline race or series. I only started messing with the MAS launcher yesterday. Something that is 2 or 3 clicks on every other game, is a file edit/create or re-code in RF2. Personally, I don't mind tweaking and getting my hands dirty. But the vast majority will, or won't know how to. I also find it total BS that they sell add-ons, like the Endurance pack and circuits etc, but don't offer and endurance championship (offline) through the UI. **sigh**.
    I guess that is this evening's task, rather than driving and having fun playing the sim.
    With the in mind, the only conclusion I can draw is that this is not a game/sim that should be rolled out to the masses.

Final thoughts:
    Personally, I am OK knowing I can tweak it and get it to a working state. I am computer savvy, know my way around files and folders, and can understand some basic code concepts etc. On the cars I have edited, the FFB and driving experience has been zen like. Probably the best I have experienced in sim racing. The driving alone does not excuse the other stuff. For me, I can work around it, as can many others. But the vast majority will likely struggle and lead to the sim gathering dust in someone's steam library.

KDickie, RaceNut and avenger82 like this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

I play rf2 since 2012 and never ever needed to use mas.exe utility. So a newbie can live without knowing how to use it.
    About messing with controller.json there are other simple routes that solve 99% of problems. Differently from the old days you need to barely touch it here and there eventually and just for some wheel kind, DD are among those.
    But I disagree with you on the main level: for me RF2 FFB is worth all the hassle of this world. I recently tried AMS2 (just the demo I admit) and I am not impressed by driving or FFB, I don't think I will spend time or money on it.

juanchioooo and pkelly like this.
  12. GertjanD

GertjanD Registered

Does this also apply to the clubsport 2.5 wheelbase? I have not changed any specific ffb settings of the game as far as I know. Would like to know if I can improve ffb. Thanks!

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Don't touch if not broken :D
    Do you find your FFB lacking or wrong? Then we may try to help you. Otherwise the options openly available through the menu or your wheel config should suffice to squeeze the best out of it.

14. Beezer215

Beezer215 Registered

Do you have the solution to the graininess? After a couple sessions in rF2, my DD2 get's grainy too and I have to close rF2 and open it up again to get rid of it. It becomes a pain to use anymore.

15. Comante

Comante Registered

If for some reason FFB change during use, you can configure a key binding with "reset ffb" I press it at the beginning of a session if I notice something out of place, then usually you are good for quite some time.

Beezer215 likes this.
  16. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

Turn off DAMPER EFFECT STRENGTH fully. Its in the advanced area in fanalab.
    It is OK to use Natural Damper.
    My mistake on the original post

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    TJones and Beezer215 like this.
  17. Jihemme

Jihemme Registered

There is an option in player.json (I think, maybe controller.jon ?) that resets ffb every x seconds, mine is resetting every 5 seconds and it works like a charm.

davehenrie and Beezer215 like this.
  18. Gary_S85

Gary_S85 Registered

Guys in my post above, I said turn off natural damper. I was wrong.
    Turn off Game damper effect strength.
    This got rid of the grainy feeling for me. NIN and Friction off.
    upload_2022-3-9_15-46-38.png

Beezer215 likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is one I've never heard of. Thanks for the hint.

20. TJones

TJones Registered

Agree, same here !