Opentrack with rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Francois Caratti, Jan 11, 2021.

1. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I will have a look at this but I do run triple monitors so I actually only want opentrack/TIR to move my view slightly to help me follow the apex so I am probably not going to need or want the rate or amount of tracking that you do if you are using a single monitor.

2. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

That's fair enough. It just makes it more real time without something else interfering with your motion. Another thing I am experimenting with is using the lock to horizon setting. This as helped dampen the affect on the camera due to the bumps at sebring, especially with a stiff car such as the new Ginetta LMP1.

Mark

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  3. darkojovanoski1986

darkojovanoski1986 Registered

Hello, I am using Delanclip wireless with opentrack. got headtracking working in all sims but I can`t get it right on my favourite sim rfactor2. panning left and right cause stutters a lot it`s simply unplayable with head tracking. When I keep my head as normally do and look forward game is smooth but when I start looking to apex or left right to see other cars stutter on the horizon starts. Tried to lower everything to low, even on private practice same thing happens. I can almost max out everything with 22 ai cars but can`t get rid of stutters. Tried vsync on/off, limiting framerate all I can possibly think. Is there anything I can do or the game simply works like this with head tracking? thanks

Antmax likes this.
  4. JamesB

JamesB Registered

No, the game works perfectly smoothly with head tracking as far as I can see. I have no time now to comment further but I will try to later.

5. darkojovanoski1986

I run the game smooth but when I start to look left or right stutters appear. What head tracking system do you use? thanks for the reply :)

6. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I use a modified Ps2 camera with a natural light filter in it with an active IR LED headset that I designed and built myself but it should behave like a Delanclip as they are fundamentally the same thing as long as you have the active one. I also have a TIR camera but I always use the PS2 one although the TIR one works fine as well. Mine all pans perfectly smoothly so your problem is not with the sim I doubt but perhaps with the opentrack input.

7. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Have you looked at the open track output, i.e the octopus thing to see if that is smooth or not?

8. darkojovanoski1986

I use pointracker as input and freetrack enhanced as output. Switching between accela and ewma filter becouse i was trying to get it working smoothly but with no luck. I use delanclip premodified ini file and make changes from there. All other sims i tried are smooth, i thought maybe usb port or something else cause these stutters but how then it works for other sims? I read that there are other users who got this issue with trackir. Do you suggest anything I can do? Thanks for helping! Really appreciate :)

9. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I will need to look at my settings for you but I can't do that while at work and it may take me a couple of days but I will try to tell you what I use.

10. darkojovanoski1986

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate :)

11. darkojovanoski1986

Btw does rfactor 2 reads actually commands look left, look right with movements of the head? Saw video on youtube where some guy actually record these keys with head and use edtracker. Do you guys do the same for getting actually smooth tracking, i mean is that possible?

12. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

This is a video I posted in the Daytona thread, but it shows me using Opentrack in rF2. As you can see it works fine for me. I think rF2 just thinks its TrackIR.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  13. darkojovanoski1986

Yeah i see. Don't get me wrong I got it working too but from videos I saw, like yours posted here there is definately difference. While i look forward all is smooth but looking left and right start to give me little stutters and breaks the enjoyment. I like rf2 a lot but this sim simply can't work as it should for all. Tell me what wheel do you use? Maybe it's related to ffb, I really don't know what to think of any more. I am using OSW. Btw saw some videos on you tube about edtracker and guys got it working smooth. I ask my self if that was in the past with old software couldn't be possible that now is working worse. One of them set edtracker and bind buttons for looking left/right/up/down. He got very smooth tracking. Also when I look left right with keyboard assigned buttons it's fast but no stutters. Really don't know what to think any more...

14. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I use a Logitech G920 wheel.
    I'm sorry I don't know what to suggest. Is the stutter actual framerate dropping or does it just feel jittery?
    I didn't have to bind any keys, it just worked with the TrackIR protocol.

15. darkojovanoski1986

Yeah it feels jittery while panning, like micro stutters. Thanks you for the answers anyway :)

16. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I'm a little (a lot) late to this thread but I found the same settings in the player.json Digger changed stopped the stutters when looking around:

Code:
    "Glance Angle":1.75,
        "Glance Angle#":"Angle to look left\/right (yaw) w\/ controller in radians (= degrees \/ 57)",
        "Glance Rate":25,
        "Glance Rate#":"Rate to follow controller for glancing",
    I also changed the Glance Angle as I wanted to be able to turn my head more that the default 70°. Very useful when existing the garage or in karts.

17. darkojovanoski1986

Hey I spent entire day yesterday to make this work properly with opentrack. One thing i find most important is to fix framerate to 61 fps in riva tuner becouse it works better than changing json to max framerate 61. Using in game vsync also is important.
    For glance rate i used 0.85 and find it smooth and not to fast but caveat is while head is returning to normal position also it's not very fast. Angle is subjective so it's personal taste.
    Will try and see. Also do you use opentrack? Mind if you sharing what settings u use there? I have to use little deadzone in the yaw curve to be playable as it should.
    I think this problem is in trackir plugin or the game rendering itself. I am jealous how good headtracking works in all other sims, it's smooth as silk, so definately is rf2 problem. Thanks for the info :)

Antmax likes this.
  18. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I use OpenTrack with AiTrack and a very basic webcam so no led's or patches attached to hats
    My profile ini is inside the attached zip if it is of any use to you.
    I also speed plenty of time in air combat sim where much more head movement is required so don't find an issue with the small movements here. You are right that rF2 does not have as good headtracking support as flying sims but it is probably a lesser priority for most here where as a minimum requirement flying.

Attached Files:

• rF2.zip
      File size:
      576 bytes
      Views:
  19. Antmax

Antmax Registered

I'm having a similar problem with Opentrack/TrackIR emulation. I haven't tried editing the json file yet. It looks like a Vsync tearing thing. All I have done so far is turn down graphics settings. tried the three Vsync settings in game, turned Image scaling, DSR and low latency modes.

As well as stutters, do you get FFB stutters too when it happens. Just less often. Anyway, just acknowledging that someone else is having stutters with Opentrack. Going to try some of the suggestions on here next time I get my stand out.

20. darkojovanoski1986

No matter what I do trackir or opentrack aren't working smooth like in other sims. Even on gsync monitor where should be smoothest it tears the picture while panning. I can't drive without head trscking after I tried it. Sadly rfactor is my favourite sim but this is a deal braker for me.