HELP needed. AI not behaving correctly on Stock Cars 2018.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by TJam11, Feb 20, 2022.

1. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Hi,

I need help or advice with an issue I'm having regarding the AI driving Stock Cars 2018.

They seem to behave like they have zero grip, almost like they are driving on ice. This happens on every single circuit I've tested them on and means no matter what AI strength I set, I'm 20+ seconds a lap faster, which means I can't enjoy racing this car at all.

I've watched videos on YouTube and nobody else seems to have this issue? I've seen people play them on Road America, Indianapolis Road course etc with no issues, the AI seem to drive competently and competitively.

Does anybody know what this issue is or how to fix it?

Here is a video link for an example:

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You are trying to go into the turns way too fast for the tyres on the car it looks like and your front wheels are just skidding over the track surface.

3. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Yes, I can see that.

but that isn’t me. That is the AI.
    My car sticks fine.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

On ALL tracks??

5. Sean McCormack

Sean McCormack Registered

Get in line pal! Been here with the same ai issues for quite a few years now unfortunately. lol
    They never give any updates on when things like this will be changed/fixed, so honestly no hope in getting a fix at this point.

Edit: You can go into the JSON player folder and change AI corner grip usage to .94 from .97 and that should help the chronic understeer most of the time. it helped me with the gt3 cars at least.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Let the AI drive a lot of practice laps. Then when the session is over, save the realroad. & then load the saved realroad prior to the race.

7. TJam11

TJam11 Registered

Hi,

Lowering the AI corner grip usage to .94 has actually fixed the understeer issue! Thank you!

How bizarre that lowering the theoretical corner grip usage actually improved grip?!??

The AI seem to constantly blip the throttle through corners.

Now that we've made some progress, I will get them to drive some practice laps to see if I can improve their laptimes.

Sean McCormack likes this.
  8. Sean McCormack

Sean McCormack Registered

You're welcome! Glad it helped!

Yeah basically think of trying to not over heat the tires when driving a lengthy stint that essentially what the ai do at .94. They'll be a little slower in general if they did drive some what normally on a track at .97, but it definitely is a lot better for racing the ai.

As for the throttle and brake application. Years ago now, The devs changed how to ai use the throttle and brake so now they constantly stab at the throttle and brake if a turn or situation requires anything less than 100% throttle or brake. So they stab at both. Nothing we as players can adjust unfortunately. They changed it because there were some issues with the pace of the ai at low difficulty settings or something like that. Doesn't make sense to me why they thought that change would be better than just leaving it, when it was excellent at higher difficulties.