Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Does anybody else have issues with the Ai throwing themselves off the track?

This is onboard with one of the Ai drivers at Portland. It happens to multiple drivers even behind the safety car. In this instance two cars go off at the same time as you can just make out Grosjean behind doing an identical spin. There wasn't any contact from other cars. I have the Ai mistakes setting in the players.json at 0.4. Ill have to try again with it at 0, but I like the Ai to make the odd mistake now and then, not several cars every lap. Does anybody know if this is a Portland issue or an Indycar issue?

Also I tried the Indycars on the Daytona oval as I showed in the Daytona thread. With the oval setup I don't seem to get much tire wear, after 20 laps less than 1% wear. Using the Log analyser I noticed that the Ai had very worn tires. Is that normal?

avenger82 likes this.
  2. exxtractor

exxtractor Registered

My thoughts on the Indycar IR-18 release: installed, and drove at Indianapolis 2020 track released last year with the recent automatic workshop updates. Car handles just fine using default settings, easy to jump in and go. Really wanted to race, so loaded the AI opponents. Setting was AI strength: 95%, AI Aggression 50%, AI limit 0%. What I found was that the AI cars consistently run side-by-side for much of the race (15 laps, with 4x settings). Also, I have to decrease the mechanical failure rate to normal, or my engine consistently fails prior to the endo of the race even though push-to-pass is never engaged.

Stuio397 really has to work on: 1. the AI opponents for this vehicle, 2. to see the author of the track in the game the track listing, as there are multiple tracks with the same name with different authors., 3. start to update all the existing IndyCar and Stockcar 2018/X tracks to the same level as the Indianapolis 2020 track, and Daytona 2022.

3. sg333

sg333 Registered

Ive seen the AI do this at Portland and also out of the final corner. It's like they over-correct themselves into the wall

4. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

So that would suggest its a track issue rather than the car.

5. vava74

vava74 Registered

Doesn't AI limiter at 0% keep the field of cars too tight? I usually set it higher so the field spreads a bit.
    Also, perhaps the mechanical failure rate is linked with you shifting down too quick?

6. exxtractor

exxtractor Registered

Definitely a possibility, any recommendations for the AI settings to allow the field to spread out? Thus l, not getting so much side by side racing at Indianapolis 2020. I thought settings AI limiter to 0% would reduce the "rubber band effect".

7. vava74

vava74 Registered

Go with trial and error, like for instance jumps of 10% and then adjust.
    Around 25% seems to create a good gap between the field.
    For instance, around Belle Isle, the gap between the fastest and the slowest is about 1.5 seconds with 15% (edited)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Finally found a few hours to spend on the IR-18.
    Drivability of the tires is simply incredible. Tire feedback so well that even 10° F temperature changes are felt as is tire degradation with predictable measure. Bullseye on the tire physics!

Tunable suspension that feels incredibly alive with high fidelity in response to settings.
    Roll Centers and Anti-Squat (or Dive for front) Geometry responds exactly as expected. Nice little drawer of tools in the tuning toolbox.

Haven't played with PUSHTOPASS yet. Assuming if the Barber Option is selected it's enabled, and assigning a Button to Power Demand should work but haven't really tried it.

By a longshot this is the best virtual car I've ever tried.

9. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Just a heads up, there is a specific button to map for P2P activation not the Power Demand control. There is also a separate button to map that displays a message showing how many seconds are left of P2P. How it is currently set up in the IR-18 is you have to be at full throttle then when you press P2P you will get a defined number of seconds of increased HP or until you lift the throttle or presumably brake. The track configuration option in the customize screen specifies how much total P2P you get and how long a press lasts for. Barber for instance may be different to Portland and so on.

The one annoying error so far with the IR-18 is you can activate P2P in the oval configurations which in real life is not the case. Although they seem to have disabled the weight jacker for the road configuration, which is correct.

10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Thanks, I'll look again. The only Buttons I see are Power Demand and Temporary Boost in the "Previous Stable Release" version anyway. Do I need to go to the beta?

11. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hey John,

It's in the current public build under 'Push to Pass'. IIRC 3rd column along near the bottom on the asign controls screen

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Use the Reply button! Noob! :p

guenther and Havner like this.
  13. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Quoted for my good man Lazza... :)

Loaded the V1126, Assignable right there. But it took a minute.
    Gone were the "Powerpoint Slide" panels, replaced with a well laid out intuitive GUI.
    Almost fell out of my seat.
    The loading audio I've heard before; I don't recall if thats from the original rF1 or if its from the ZIMSAGT GUI for rF1.
    As I said it took a minute. Thanks!

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can I ask you a serious question John? How could the arrival of the new-new UI have been communicated to you better?

I ask because I felt like pretty much everyone here knew about it, with much MUCH discussion about it and future development on this forum.

Please understand I'm not having a dig; I'm actually curious what would help to make it more obvious to people. I think as a sim rF2 has a niche market and needs to help all those interested, but also it has potential to attract people not so used to dealing with games and keeping up to date with news online.

vava74 likes this.
  15. vava74

vava74 Registered

By messaging pigeon...
    :D:)

16. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

OK.
    Yes I have been aware of the new UI, sort of. I had a good reason to ignore the new UI for a while.
    I was running V1124. Switched to see the Beta Preview which was incomplete at the time a few weeks back.
    Needed to play with PTOOL for a requested task. Could not find a Command Line in the newer UI's to run the earlier PTOOL.
    It appears the newer MODDEV uses CRTL-U version which lacks the visual clarity I prefer.
    So for the last several weeks I've pretty much been stuck with the old UI for both online and offline PC's, and swapping between 1124 and the old UI for the online PC. I'm done with that task and moved on to the new UI.

And believe me it was like opening a lost Christmas present!

pkelly, davehenrie and vava74 like this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I know where I am taking this wonderful car next time.

pkelly likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ever since the previous new UI did away with the launcher, ptool (and ttool) are accessible via launch options in steam (just like the rF2 launcher options prior) or shortcut - see Q8 here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....equently-asked-questions-for-reference.68318/

Ctrl-U in devmode has always been there.

I'm afraid the fairly long standing confusion about versions has probably muddled you up. There's no reason not to be either on "None" or "Release Candidate".

Lars likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

At this time. Both versions are the same. At some point in the future, possibly about a month from now, the Release Candidate 'MAY' get an update as they mass test new features.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No shit.