Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Argh!
    I installed the rf2 setup widget but found the results hyper-grainy with loads of moiré-type artefacts and a less-than-smooth feeling to the framerate…

…so I ‘uninstalled it’ (asking it to reset my settings to the original) and found it left things like ReShade in place…

Deleted that and now my VR (Rift CV1 - 2080Ti) is (so far irredeemably) fuzzy and lacking detail… I can’t see anything in the graphics settings, OCULUS tray Tool or Nvidia settings that looks wrong.

any ideas how to reverse this situation?

2. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

I must admit, ive never used any of the reshade stuff, just use it to have preset settings, although I jsut started to try the openvr fsr thing, and that does seem to make a difference

3. PulsatingQuasar

PulsatingQuasar Registered

Also posted this in another thread here. Just found this thread so I wil also post this here.

I have seen unusual FPS drops as well. This is with a GTX1080Ti and now also RTX 3080. The unusual part is in that when the FPS drops happen, the GPU usage also drops. I use a Reverb G2 VR headset. The system has 32 GB RAM
    I use a 60% supersampling resolution with the Reverb G2 and some tweaked graphics settings in the game.

For instance, on Monza.

With the GTX1080Ti, I get a constant 90 FPS frame rate with between 80-90% GPU usage if I am on the long straights or in the forest areas. I use fpsVR and Afterburner to check this. In 2 locations I get FPS drops. In the 2 more open areas. Namely getting out of the last corner heading into the grandstand and pits area and entering the open space in Variante Ascari.
    What happens in these 2 locations is that the FPS can drop to 60 but ALSO the GPU usage drops to 60%. Afterburner does not show a drop in MHz or any other issues.

Now here is the kicker. I dropped in the RTX3080 which is way more powerful. Did not change any settings for the graphics or Reverb G2. Off course I get the 90 FPS on the straights. Obviously with a lower GPU usage, it is now between 60-70%. I get the same thing in the 2 more open areas. The FPS can drop to 60 and now the GPU usage, because it was already lower, can drop to 40-50%.

The system has a Core I7 running at 4,6 GHz and has 32 GB RAM. It did not have an issue with maxing out the CPU.

Something really weird is going on. At least in VR. But getting frame drops and also lower GPU usage is odd.

4. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

Hello guys
    I am using the RF2 settings widget and I have overwritten the settings in-game. Now the widget does not apply anymore the settings .
    How can I roll back?
    Also, can somoene share a good configuration for Oculus Rift s, RTX 2080 S , I7 8700 , 32 RAM?

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

3E60238A-3D2C-4056-8217-399014CC24DE.jpeg
    what is happening here?!
    Any help
    2080ti OC
    I9-9900K 5.1

6. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

perhaps you steam SS is 100% ... too much ? I use 50% but on my Reverb G2 it is nativ resolution, 2160 x 2160 per eye

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yes maybe my 2080ti can’t keep SS-100%. I will try to lower it to 80%.

8. makan

makan Registered

So about this new openxr , It seems it improves vr experience alot.
    can anyone explain how to install it?
    Tnx.

===============
    Nevermind , I found it on assetto corsa's forum.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  9. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Yes, this is new, some flight Sim users are trying this for the msflight sim

makan likes this.
  10. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

Use Openvr_sfr, and set the upscaling ratio to .7 or .6, what ever gives you best quality/performance.
    Rf setup widget ease the use of openvr_sfr.

11. Frankalexandre

Frankalexandre Registered

Just posting here as not everybody access RF2 Discord. Some guy made a dll to bypass the use of SteamVR with RF2 and runs the game with OPENXR. For oculus users, running the game without SteamVR give 20 to 25% better performance in VR. I have a Quest2 and this dll alow me to play at 5408x2736 and 120 hz. It is just amazing. Just backup game's original openvr dll and extract the files to your bin64 folder.There's a bug with the dll and to press ESC to return to the garage or leaving the game you must remove your headset from your head, otherwise the game will crash. It also works very well for HP Reverb users, but i dont have that headset and there are other steps to folow. For G2 users, visit the vr section on RF2 discord and look for the instructions.

Attached Files:

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    Thanks you
    Can you post the G2 files please? I don’t have discord
    Thanks

13. elbo

elbo Registered

Good way of avoiding the escape crash if you have a Quest2, double tap to allow passthrough, escape, double tap to return to game...avoids having to lift HMD off your head

14. tappi

tappi Registered

15. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Greetings. It's been a long time since I posted anything here (and a long time too since I turned a wheel in any sim).
    I bought a Pimax 8K X VR/HMD about a year back, and when I tried it then with rf2, I couldn't get anything usable or even legible out of the menus, let alone get to the track.
    I was trying to run the full 200 degree FOV that headset allows.
    Any idea if this problem has been fixed? Or where (here) might be the best/forum, sub-forum to ask?
    Thanks for any help.

16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I use pimax 8k plus and I have no problem, with the parallel projection activated I don't see double and it works perfectly, I go to 110 hertz on the "normal" screen, which must be 170º, since "long" will be 200º

17. Just2Laps

Just2Laps Registered

rFactor2 - VR with HP Reverb G2
    Tutorial for stable 90fps

• clear graphics
    • suitable for all conditions including rain
    • using re shade, OpenXR, Process Lasso
    • and rf2 settings widget

atomed likes this.
  18. Andrea Frollo

Andrea Frollo Registered

Someone has already pointed out to you that you use openxr toolkit without giving any indication of how to use openxr on rfactor2

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yes please make a short tutorial how to install and use openxr with rfactor2. This is the most important part missing here .

20. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello. I use Oculus Quest 2 with rFactor2 (previously with CV1) and have tested version v.0.6.3 of the Mod you mention, downloaded from Jabbah's Gitlab.
    I'm surprised that for G2 that long tutorial is needed and for Oculus replacing the DLL is enough, but the improvement is obvious as I get similar performance albeit with a minor charge of CPU, compared to the FSR Mod version with 77% of rescaled.

But I have a couple of doubts.

The first if this is the right place to comment on this or if there is one specific to Oculus Quest2.

The second is to know if, as mentioned, it is compatible with the FSR/NIS Mod and how to do this.

I would also like to know if this is the best way to compare results by viewing the ODT latencies with these graphs:

[​IMG]

Finally add that I saw in Jabbah's explanation that he asked to be informed of games where his system failed and that I am going to look for him to ask if see if he finds the problem with the esc key, since although there is a provisional solution, with the tests it happened a couple of times I forget and everything crashes.

Greetings.

Gilles Benoit likes this.