Question about "Auto line smoothing"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fideco, May 17, 2017.

1. fideco

fideco Registered

Hi there
    May someone explain the meaning of this string and its values...
    I googled it but only found users who said that 7 is the best one..
    Thanks

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I might be wrong.
    The track is defined for centerline, left edge and right edge. AI wants to stay in between left and right lanes following the fast path. Smoothing this limits should avoid strange behaviours caused mainly by a not very well defined AIW. I would say that if the track limits are correctly established by the modder this smoothing does nothing. However turning it on doesn't hurt in my experience so that's the reason why 7 (smoothing all lines) is the most widely used value.

fideco likes this.
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

"Auto Line Smoothing#":"bit field where 1 = fastest line, 2 = left, 4 = right, and so on; add up each path's value you want to smooth for this parameter; note this causes multiplayer join lag!",

I have this ALWAYS on 7 since the beginning of all times!
    Like the title says: "Line smoothing" -----> AI-path is smoothed (somehow)
    Don´t know exactly if this happens in AI behaviour itself or if the actual aiw is extrapolated ingame.

By the way: what is your
    "AI Power Calibration":x,
    "Autocalibrate AI Mode":y,
    settings? Interesting for me to know, because I´m messing around with rfactor AI since years and this needs more evaluation points.

fideco likes this.
  4. fideco

fideco Registered

Thanks for your answers !!
    From my player file:
    "AI Power Calibration":7, (btw, would you be so kind to explain the meaning of this one?)
    "Autocalibrate AI Mode":0,
    Cheers

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Interesting! I guess this are the default settings and you never touched it before?
    "AI Power Calibration": is the fine tune or learning process the AI goes through for the parameters:
    Throttle, braking, gearing. 7 is all on.
    More interesting is the setting for Autocalibrate AI Mode. With "0" learning should be off (or at a bare minimum?).
    If you prefer offline racing I would use "2" for everyday use. Then they learn and should create .wis files.

fideco likes this.
  6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Do you think OP will be able to make it work with such a basic description? I can't remember but each of the AI calibration systems has its own procedure to make it work.

Besides, there is no explanation at all of how to properly use each system. I have tried all three methods several times and none of them has ever helped.

I have always said that tools and efforts should have been focused in order to improve AIW which is by far the most critic part for having a good AI. The autocalibrate is a bad patch that doesn't focus in the real problem.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, sure he will make it work! Because everything you have to do for that is setting Autocalibrate mode to "2".
    That works. If you mean it didn´t for you, you didn´t tested it properly. Said that, I´m not sure if something has changed in later builds
    regarding functionality, but with 1098 at least it does something (good)!
    And this "everyday- learning-function" indeed focus the real problem and is a step in the right direction as in best case AI should be able to search best path for themselfes, what they do with "2" (and "3") to some degree.

8. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

I've redone the AIW of the nordschleffe recently without any autocalibration, AI was fast immediately across different car mods with differences between dirvers based on rcd talent files i guess, but correcting ai limitation in AIW to no limitation plus setting worst, normal and best variable to respectively 0.8 1.0 and 1.2 has totally transform AI. I can't follow the leader when strenght set to 1.10 already whereas i was easily beating them with 1.20, and the aiw is not perfect, they are not slow but slower than me here and there which allow to keep up and have a breath...

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What limitation in aiw? Can you show the line you mean, please?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is not so simple. The fact of you suggesting it I tested incorrectly only supports my statement.

Here you can find the type of info REQUIRED to test this PROPERLY.
    Information regarding which sessions to use, number of AI, AI settings, own AI or other opponents doing the learning, number of laps to perform, how to load learning.... Aren't those enough variables to make it anything but simple?
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ai-learning-step-by-step-guide.47657/

fideco likes this.
  11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

The things Marc said/suggested there for learning mode "2" seem to have more something to do with personal preferences.
    "for me mode 2 make them too fast...", well, yeah.
    Trust me, I´ve tested this to death: Use "2" for best result in everyday use. BEST is to run a full (long) training and qualy-session
    and click "next session" when time is over. But you don´t have to! It´s also the best solution with shorter sessions.

fideco and SPASKIS like this.
  12. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

I don't have an aiw file now but when you scroll one, you will come to much longer line after waypoints, some 5 to 8 pages from the top of the file, inclined skyline lets say, and there are a bunch of variable like track width etc.. and a AI limiter or limitation i don't remember exactly.
    There are 4 kinds of limitations like corner speed, braking etc... by experience i know there is always a 1 in there that enforce a limitation whatever ai limiter is set to in the race settings, i put it to 0 and maybe there are pros and cons especially for those who use/like limitation but for me it always improve the pace although i set AI limiter to 0. But as i don't test every single variable one by one especially now with this new packaging system and just loading the game each time would prevent me to do so. maybe it is just setting worst, normal, best strenght that improve a lot putting the AI in the ballpark...

SPASKIS likes this.
  13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Really interested in this. Could you please upload an example? Thanks in advance.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

OK, I know what you mean.
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,1.0000,0.0000)
    This line only comes into count when AIstrength is <100%.
    As the line says, it expresses the AI speed but only when it comes to loose speed.
    When AI strength is 100% or more it should do nothing. Has nothing to do with AILimiter (that is linked to the "speed" value in .RCD).

chuckyeager likes this.
  15. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Really ? Where does this comes from? did you test it or is it coming from some documentation ?

I was speaking about those lines :

WorstAdjust=(0.8000) // was set to 1.0000 for the nordshleffe track
    MidAdjust=(1.0000) // was set to 1.0000 for the nordshleffe track
    BestAdjust=(1.2000) // was set to 1.0000 for the nordshleffe track
    AIRange=(0.1000)
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,1.0000,0.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track, limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0

And there is this one also that can limit AI braking :
    AIBrakingStiffness=(1.0000,1.0000,0.9000)

But i don't know why there are 3 values, maybe depending on session

16. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

But when no RCD file exist maybe AIlimiter get connected with those AIW values ?

So i guess, what happen with tracks for which worst,normal, best are not properly set it can't determine what the norm should be, i'm just trying to guess here, that is 100% and if this special case is not envisaged in code then maybe it goes in AIlimiter mode with default value set in aiw file?.
    What i know for sure in my case is that AI were slow even at 120 strenght and i had ailimiter at 0, so they were limited by something, the fastest path wasn't great but not slow or smooth enough etc...

17. Emery

Emery Registered

WorstAdjust, MidAdjust, & BestAdjust are the range for the AI Strength slider. Despite the slider showing 80%-120%, if WorstAdjust, MidAdjust, & BestAdjust are 1.000, then the whole AI Strength range becomes 100%-100% (no range at all!).

18. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

of course, thats obvious but i'm wondering about the consequences and especially if there are no limitations past 100% what makes one faster than it was at a lower strength except by certain limitation ???
    And why those values can be enforced in aiw ?

19. pyr0m4tic

pyr0m4tic Registered

Is there any documentation, why AI Power Calibration "7" or "Auto Line Smoothing "7" means, that all processes will be done by the AI? I mean, i have nothing found on the internet so far about this.

Thanks for help!

20. lagg

lagg Registered

You have quoted a member that last time that visited the web was on Jan 18, 2020 and rebumped a thread form 2017 :D