Released INDYCAR IR-18

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Can we get the damage upped? Crashing at 230 mph at Indy and only the wing comes off :eek::p

pkelly likes this.
  2. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

Adjusted fuel consumption in what direction, how much?

Really wish S397 physics team started handing out more detailed patch notes....

2ndLastJedi, Sim_Player and Havner like this.
  3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Anyone going to watch the IndyCar race?

The site of the inaugural INDYCAR-Motorsport Games Pro Challenge on Wednesday, Feb. 9 has been revealed: the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

Tonight’s race is the first official esports event between Motorsport Games and INDYCAR, with racing taking place on the rFactor 2 PC platform. Fans can tune in to watch the full race day at the INDYCAR YouTube channel, starting with the pre-show at 6 p.m. (ET).

On-track action will start at 6:15 p.m., with the race conclusion and interviews to take place thereafter at approximately 7:15 p.m. NBC Sports’ INDYCAR host and pit reporter Kevin Lee and Sky Sports F1 INDYCAR commentator Chris McCarthy will be the hosts.

The identity of the IMS road course as the race location was withheld from the field until today to keep drivers guessing and add a fun element of mystery to the competition.

Twenty-three NTT INDYCAR SERIES athletes will race tonight on the 14-turn, 2.439-mile circuit that incorporates part of the famous IMS oval, including reigning series champion Alex Palou and four-time and reigning Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge winner Helio Castroneves.

[​IMG]
    https://www.indycar.com/news/2022/02/02-09-esports-lineup

4. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

All-Star lineup! ...
    [​IMG]

vava74 and pkelly like this.
  5. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

What does FFB reset do exactly?

6. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I believe he is talking about when you lose all FFB and need to hit an assigned button to reset it and get it working again. Happens every so often.

memoNo1 and mantasisg like this.
  7. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi all
    Is there any information anywhere relating to what the various options do in the customize section. Ie what is Front Geometry description -5/-5/-5 all about and what can I expect to happen if I make changes.
    I love the car however I do find it quite understeary and wondered if one of these settings may help.
    Thanks in advance if you can help.
    Best wishes
    Bob

Havner, DiggerHawk and Schumi like this.
  8. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Wow. I've never lost FFB. But it must be a thing if it has a dedicated button. Must be so hard to develop software for such a diverse hardware environment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    Elcid43 likes this.
  9. Havner

Havner Registered

Heh. So hard that all current racing sims do that...

Oh wait :confused:

10. atomed

atomed Member

Can you tell us pointing at the doll where rF2 touched you exactly?

11. Havner

Havner Registered

Nice ad hominem. Maybe you'd show us a sim that has the same issue with FFB instead? That would be more productive.

12. atomed

atomed Member

An ad hominem is an attack to an argument by attacking a person. This was a direct attack :p

Remco Majoor and vava74 like this.
  13. Havner

Havner Registered

Very childish at that. But seeing I'm talking to someone who likes playing with dolls how about I show you where you can kiss me using one? That would be more on your level?

14. atomed

atomed Member

Meeeh, I expected more.

Remco Majoor and vava74 like this.
  15. Havner

Havner Registered

Glad I could disappoint.

vava74 and atomed like this.
  16. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

As for the understeer ARB, Spring & Damper settings make a big difference. ARB's are adjustable On-Board too, so make sure you've got some buttons assigned. Soften the front springs 2 clicks, add 1 click to rear ARB. Watch the tire temps during laps and where the heat builds fastest.

The Geometry settings redefine Roll Centers and Anti-Squat angles as positive, Anti-Dive as negative.
    Roll Centers and Anti-Squat/Dive values appear to be derived values from the Angular Geometry.
    The "-5/-5/-5" are probably the deviations from standard to the X/Y/Z locations of the Rear Upper/Lower ball joints at the chassis in MM. The geometry effects identified in the Upgrades.ini pretty much follow that real world pattern.

The effects of Roll Center Anti-Squat/Dive are complicated, I'll leave it at that. What's easy to consider is there is an ideal set of geometries that will vary with ride height range on a given track, so when you raise or lower the suspension the relative angles between the Spindle & Chassis changes as well. First focus on Suspension elements and as ride heights change before making Geometry changes. Note the deviations to ride height and test that same setup with various Geometry settings.

Dallara IR18 Front Suspension to OEM dimensions modeled to rF2 structure below at Full Droop. It gives visual understanding of motion and relative force vector changes. I can't confirm its the same as S397 Geometry but assuming its pretty close. Hard to tell from this shot but the Wishbone angles relative to perpendicular are pretty key regarding ride height during corner loads.

Raising/Lowering chassis can change the Wishbone Perpendicularity from a positive to negative Sin (Angular Value); at 0° lateral forces do not have a vertical force value; when the Wishbone Angle passes from a + to - value it hits a Zero Cross event; Vertical force vectors reverse and tires break loose momentarily in the real world as well as Rfactor2.

Altering Squat/Dive settings can be tuned to give deeper braking into turns, and earlier throttle in some cases, but changing them at the Option level will have impacts to the state of tune in the garage. That's where these suspension options really shine in my opinion anyway.

The more real these cars get, the more it takes an engineer to understand setup. I'm good with that. Just wish my reaction times were what they once were.... :)

Motion.jpg

17. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

My mind is completely blown by this incredible level of setup details. Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone.

Juan Cofiño and Elcid43 like this.
  18. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, I think for the time being I will leave the customization settings as default and tinker with the spring and ARB as you advise and see how I get on.
    Thanks again.
    Best wishes
    Bob

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Was interesting to watch RL drivers race in rF2 yesterday. But I am not sure how I feel seeing pros racing absolutely nothing like IRL when they are in a sim. Can't blame them though, few of them probably are all into it. And I can't race myself as well unless I am all into it.

Another thing that I am sure lots has noticed. Whats up with that almost constant tire squeal. When I drove this car first time, I thought perhaps car has a handbrake on lol Is it a sound bug ?

Another thing which wasn't absolutely satisfying, was how much through understeer they were driving. Perhaps a setup thing, perhaps not, IDK. Was strange to see how much they used understeer, and it never seemed to lead into any loss of stability, snaps. When I look how they drive IRL, cars are rather neutral, displaying rather equal amount of understeer and oversteer, as drivers does perceivably overdrive the cars, it is something that is awesome about indycar. Anyway, perhaps it is time to end with dreams about actual 1:1 car handling in a sim versus real life, it might be as good as it gets.

Also hopefully one day rF2 evolves into better broadcasting quality. Like many things about rF2 that impossible to comprehend for mere mortal like me, I can't comprehend whats the deal about just simply not making a couple extra camera sets that would be actually aesthetic and would have different purpose, such as one for focusing on a single car, one focusing on racing....

sorry for essay, its a forum though

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    2ndLastJedi, bobbie424242 and Havner like this.
  20. sg333

sg333 Registered

Josef Newgarden even commented on his stream about how weird the rF2 car is, citing the understeer.

I believe someone said it was fixed setup, if so they were probably given a very forgiving setup for the non sim players. I wonder even was TC/ABS on

avenger82 and Eric Rowland like this.