Newbie Procedures for Open Wheel Sprint USF2000?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by Jay Scholz, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Jay Scholz

Jay Scholz Registered

I've had my rig just over a month and been only racing against AI until I got good enough I wouldn't ruin somebody's day by crashing them out. After several hours of practice with the F2000 at Portland I decided to try the Open Wheel Sprint race at Portland this evening. I totally screwed it up, I had no idea what was going on. I thought it said there was no practice, just right into qualifying, then I thought I was racing but there was no grid or start that I could figure and the 1 other guy that was there didn't leave the pits when I did and no grid showed up so I let him catch up and he just blew right by. Later I'm I thinking I was actually in qualifying at that time not the race. Then I think we had the race but again no grid...After the race I found out he didn't know what was going on either.
    My question is could somebody explain the procedure or point me in the right direction? I'd really like to get involved.
    And one last thing... Is the car setup locked in the same for everybody? The car was much different than what I was practicing with. It was much looser but the gearing was better. Thanks in advance - Jay

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Hello, made the first CS race yesterday evening after a long time. Effectively at the beginning it was not clear to me what session I was in, then I've seen that the top part of the screen give you such informations.
    About the setup: it is free, if the car was loose compared to your offline experience, probably the amount of rubber on the track was different. The base setup I think is always the same, unless you load your's.

3. Paul Stante

Paul Stante Registered

The CS server for the Open Wheel Sprint has a 10 min warm up, this is to ensure everyone can connect in time.
    Then it goes to a 10 min Q session and after that the race.
    The top of you screen when you are in the garage will tell you what session you're in.
    Setup is not fixed for this series so jump in the practice server and play around with you're set up, save it then load it up when you enter the CS server. I think everyone screws up someones race at some point. An aplogogy goes a long way when you do.
    Make sure you have mirrors, be aware of who is around you and have fun!

atomed likes this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

and if only one or two shows up, will they get points?

I think the site https://www.studio-397.com/ needs a quick explain/guide to how the CS works etc. both rules and practice details.

5. Jay Scholz

Jay Scholz Registered

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to try it out again today, that is if you're allowed to race more than once. Couple more questions first.
    On mirrors I saw on youtube somebody had a overhead rear view mirror, how do I get that? I have a single monitor and my side mirrors don't show much.
    How do I return to the garage during practice?
    When its time for the race what gets the cars in position? Is there a start grid? Thanks again everybody - Jay

6. Comante

Comante Registered

Keyboard "3" cicle through all mirror setups
    ESCape return you to garage.
    While in garage, in the control settings you can look at all the keybindings avaiable, learn them or change them to suit your habits.

Jay Scholz and atomed like this.
  7. Paul Stante

Paul Stante Registered

When the race session starts there is a 30 odd second countdown until the start lights, hit 'RACE' in your garage screen and you will then be in your starting position on the grid. the countdown will continue in the message section at lower left of screen.

8. Jay Scholz

Jay Scholz Registered

Thanks for all the help. I had a really fun successful race yesterday... sort of, in my setup for practicing I had my fuel down to 12 laps worth or so and forgot to change it for the race...so in P3 with about 3 laps to go I ran out of fuel dangit! lol
    It was a lot of fun though even though I'm still down a few seconds per lap from the leaders. I'm running 1:09's and they were running 1:06's. I suppose everybody that's slow wants to blame the car setup and I am no exception. lol When trying to follow they had more overall grip in the turns and were getting better runs out of the corners so also pulling me on the straights. I'm old now 59 but used to be a pretty good real world racer (see my avatar). If anybody wants to volunteer any setup tips or point me in the right direction I'm all ears. My car is balanced very well and the FFB in RFactor is awesome, I can really feel what's going on but try as I might I couldn't hang with the fast guys. Thanks again guys!

davehenrie likes this.
  9. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I dont get the point system. just did my third race at same track, and finished last duo to collision, but yet I moved up overall in points?