Released Announcing Daytona for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Daytona looks really good. Excellent job.

Just noticed a few things:
    Missing NASCAR RC layout. Hopefully that will be added later.

The seam in the pavement on the middle of the banking looks really good.

You can just touch the yellow line without upsetting the car, which seems about right.

Formation lap starts on pit lane for an oval race, which I believe is correct. But starts on track for RC.

Pit lane speed limit of 55 MPH and pace/safety car speed of 70 MPH is correct based on 2021 NASCAR rules.

I don't know pit lane speed limit for IMSA other than what it says here:
    https://www.imsa.com/weathertech/discover/understanding-the-sport/
    And on the road course in the game it's set to 88 KM/h (55 MPH).

There's a fair amount of bumpiness on the banking, but I've heard that Daytona is really bumpy. But of course, I have no idea how much is correct.

There is a missing yellow curb on the outside just before the kink (turn 4) as seen at 0:45 in this video: which is a lap from this years race, AFAIK.

Of course as noted by others for official tracks, the ads are missing or generic. But also missing is the Sunoco 3D signs on the outside of the track, one of which is depicted at 1:12 in the above video. That's likely because of the same reason that ads are missing or generic - lack of licensing.

Also, and this one is for Aidan, the plane looks like it has too low AOA on landing. :D

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Very impressive track. The road feels fantastic, and it also seems very well modeled, nice textures, shading is beautiful.

I have an issues with performance lately though. But I am unsure perhaps my PC is getting old, or if there anything changed how stuff is rendered or something like that.

First I noticed in Le mans track last week that I get worse than it used to be performance. And it seems to be similar at Daytona. IDK how it is, perhaps it is because there are lots of lights in these tracks, I don't know. It seems to get a lot worse as soon as lights go on, even before any darkness. IDK what is happening.

Levelup1 likes this.
  3. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

I experience the same since new the UI was applied. Everyone tells me it cannot be related, but still...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  4. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

RC rolling starts line up on the road course because exiting the pits was causing issues.

Bill Worrel and atomed like this.
  5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Just like that guy at the start of the real race XD

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

After testing the track a bit more throughout the last couple of days, I think it's time to give a bit of feedback. The track is very well done as all the latest DLC tracks. AIW works also good for the most part on both configurations. As allready pointed out, the NASCAR config would be nice to have and there is an issue with the AIW on the Oval. When AI tries to go to the pits they slow down too much on track and cause a pile up or slow down. I don't know if the AIW can be smoothed there a bit more to make the entering less sudden, but it's a similar issue as with Monza when AI suddenly decides to pit. AI also sometimes touches the apron wich makes them bounce a bit so giving them a bit more space to the apron should fix this.

Lars and atomed like this.
  7. Alex Sawczuk

We'll take a look at it, thanks for the feedback

avenger82, Lars and Eric Rowland like this.
  8. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

@Alex Sawczuk
    Why on all of the tracks S397 release do you specify full course caution rules in the .gdb's. An example with this Daytona Oval version there is the following settings,

PitsClosedLaps = 0
    MinimumYellowLaps = 1

The problem is that it takes priority over the rFm series settings, resulting in the race not running as it should. The only tracks that should contain these settings are the really long ones. Where it would be a pain to have more than one lap of the safety car, such as the Nordschleife. In which case the track setting would then be able to override the rFm settings.

It is having the settings fixed in the track .gdb's that confuse players as to why the safety car is not working as expected. As long as the safety car has long enough to do what it needs and a few other settings are correct I find that it is just about usable.

An example would be the rules I use for Indycar. Yellow comes out, pits close, two laps later after the pack is bunched up the pits open then there is an extra lap for the pitting cars to re-join the back of the pack. Something like this in the rFm,

MinimumYellowLaps = 3
    RandomYellowLaps = 0
    ClosePits = 1
    PitsClosedLaps = 2
    FreezeOrder = 0

FreezeOrder=1 doesn't seem to work and just causes safety car confusion, just remember when its set to 0 you have to continue racing to the start/finish line (reason for 2 laps of closed pits)

Another note on the Daytona oval. I find that the AI not only dip on to the double yellow lines but they also like to dab the brakes on the start finish line. They also get spooked when another car exits the pits causing a dangerous reduction in speed.

I have been trying out the new Indycar's on the Oval (Indycar's at Daytona, is that even allowed?) and its really fun but I find even with the AI limiter set to 0% its very tight pack racing. Is there a way to stretch the field slightly? I imagine it would work great with stock cars though.

Spyro, Remco Majoor and Lars like this.
  9. Alex Sawczuk

Is there specific points they are touching the apron? We already pushed the corridors in quite a bit.

The problem with rules is that rfm are not shipped with cars on the whole, which means setting up specific rules is awkward. On tracks where indy cars have run we setup duplicate layouts with different rules.

Lars likes this.
  10. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

After checking I may of exaggerated how many S397 tracks have safety car rules specified in the gdb's, most don't. Which makes it weird why a few do. Portland, Daytona and Circuit d'azur all dictate over rFm settings. Would it be beneficial to have these settings adjustable in the race setup section of the UI? In the mean time I repackage the gdb's with the settings blocked out, allowing the chosen rFm to control things instead.

Do you know of a way to adjust the distance between cars when behind the safety car or on a formation lap? I think at the minute they are too close which doesn't allow them to react in time to the car ahead, causing contacts and jostling for position.

In regards to the AI clipping the apron, I think its mainly on the corners when cars are side by side. So far the AI don't crash because of it, but it does unsettle them a bit.

11. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

Here is a video showing just some of the excitement which can be had. It doesn't show the apron riding too much but you can see on the first lap the Ai slowing on the start/finish line. They don't do it at the start of the second lap though.

This is with the Ai limiter at 5%, I forget it works the opposite on ovals, increasing it spreads the pack instead of compressing it.

12. Alex Sawczuk

Already acknowledged the start finish slow down above.

Lars and DiggerHawk like this.
  13. Alex Sawczuk

You need to increase AI Limiter to increase the field spread btw.

14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Hello
    I've now tried several races with the Indycar to drive the Daytona Road Course.
    Each time the AI rotates in T1.
    The races have to be restarted 2 to 3 times until the AI finally gets through the corners together. .aI 95% Aggression 20%.
    And yes, I let the AI drive qualifying several times.
    And the race.

15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

@atomed
    Mate can you do something for us?
    It's just the damn T1.

16. atomed

atomed Member

Maybe they're braking too hard while leaning, let me check it.

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Ouuuh mate! :D
    I didnt now how much time i gave the ai to learn..
    Many time..
    And I sat bored in front of the monitor.
    And yes, annoyed too.

18. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Thanks @memoNo1 - this has been replicated and will be fixed - appreciate the report. Cheers

Lars, pkelly, Manfredk2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi folks. Just bought Daytona two days ago and while testing It I have this Issue were the AI will hit the breaks slightly on the first big slanted curve you find when out of the pit. There´s a section were the just slight hit the breaks then they keep there course/speed. Sorry I am new to rF2 and still don´t know the definitions yet, and sorry If this has been brought up already.

20. BeefyPeeg

BeefyPeeg Registered

Hi all. Not sure if this is a bug or not...

Just bought Daytona the other day and thought I'd run a small race with the BMW M2 and 20 AI. The race was going well for the first couple of laps, but the next time around, half the field pitted. Fuel usage and tire wear settings for the session were all set to normal, and car setups were all left as they are out of the box. AI was at 100%, with 5% aggression.

Weird thing is, I went back and did the exact same race again, but everyone finished the race. Any ideas on what might have caused this?