worst front grip feeling Mercedes AMG GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ceros63, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Ceros63

Ceros63 Registered

Hello Guys,

does anybody like to drive the Mercedes AMG GT3?
    I think this is the GT3 car with the wired front axle feeling in RF2.

Cheers
    Fred

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Welcome to a discussion that is 5 years old. :) It is well known the Merc feels different. I will suggest you drive it slowly around a lap, you may feel lots of subtle feedback. But unfortunately, all that washes away once you get up to speed. Roughly 10% think it is the best FF in rF2, the rest say it's just bonkers.

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Just crank up the gain and enjoy! :p:D

vava74 and Sim_Player like this.
  4. Ceros63

Ceros63 Registered

Thanks for your feedback guys and I believe that this discussion is older that I could imagine .
    But compare to all the others GT3 cars (ok the Audi R8 is also different) the feeling is much more less grip.
    I couldn’t believe that all the other cars failed regarding the FFB feeling.
    And if you just compare the AMG with the Porsche GT3, one car with rear engine and much more grip to the front as a car with front engine……?!
    That’s really strange and I think that’s not right, the difference is to much.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As above, increase the FFB mult for that car. For whatever reason it's done differently. You'll have more clipping but it's probably worth it for the better feel during normal cornering.

vava74 and mesfigas like this.
  6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It's due to low pneumatic trail, which is related to the suspension geometry.

The Renault Formula 3.5 has a similar characteristic. Caster angle will tune this feeling, but the Merc doesn't have adjustable caster.

Ceros63 and mantasisg like this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is called mechanical trail, pneumatic trail depends completely on tire, load, and geometry of slipping contact patch area.

doddynco likes this.
  8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    yashiman, atomed, Manfredk2 and 3 others like this.
  9. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Welcome to my world, nothing would make it driveable
    Ffb Gain, smoothing whatever thats useless
    If you want to drive a proper AMG in this Game i highly recommend to get the APEXMODDING GT3 pack
    They icluded an SLS and its a pleasure to drive in comparison

Ceros63 and avenger82 like this.
  10. Ceros63

Ceros63 Registered

Thanks guys for all your inputs, I will check it out

11. Havner

Havner Registered

Indeed, increasing the caster to some high values (like 15) makes the FFB feel more in line with other GT3 cars.

And it seems it's not rF2 specific. It's very similar in ACC. Merc have caster of 12 degrees by default and it also lacks front end feel when cornering a little. Setting it to the highest value of 14 makes it better.

What is the default value in rF2 without the mod? And shouldn't it be simply higher?

Also is there any relation between the FFB and cornering grip here? I mean if the caster is low and we get lower force when cornering can the car still have good mechanical grip?

12. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

I've modded the original AMG within rF2 to select the caster within setup.
    When i remember correctly, the value for the original (unmodded) AMG is somewhere about 5-7 compared to the adjustible version.
    So setting the caster to such a low value leads to the same behavior like original car.
    I think a caster value around 12-15° is used in the real cars and when adjusting the modded car to this value gives better ffb. But even than, the ffb is not perfect.

Ceros63 likes this.
  13. Havner

Havner Registered

I'd say that starting at caster of 14 the FFB is pretty much perfect for me. Same as all other GT3 (maybe except the Audi). I have no other issues with it.

The last issue Merc suffers from is limited steering lock.

14. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

In my feeling, when rotating the wheel while driving, the ffb response isn't perfect with high caster settings at all.
    But it's definitely better than the original car.
    But i think this depends also on own preferences and ffb settings within wheelbase.

15. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I don't know what the default values are sorry. I just arbitrarily choose 6-20 degrees - knowing that the default value is probably somewhere towards the lower end of that range. I haven't tested the mod as I don't have a wheel set up at the moment. But from my memory of the Merc, I just wanted to add a degree or two of caster. Just a subtle change is all it needs to be 'fixed' - though I say it again, it's absolutely not broken it's just a certain way to have the suspension setup

It doesn't affect mechanical grip directly; you could have zero centering force on the steering wheel (or even negative) and still achieve the same lateral grip/yaw rate. It's not normally desirable because you want the car to self center to some extent, and you also want to build some compliancy through the steering because human arms are a suspension for lateral forces, preserving the tyres. Another way to say this is that the lack of steering resistance at peak slip angle may have a tendency to encourage understeer with less delicate driving. In turn this overheats/wears the fronts, which leads to a lack of grip.

It also affects the grip because caster directly changes the camber when steering is applied. More caster means more camber on the outside tyres, less on the inside, which in turn would imply antiroll adjustment, which in turn implied springs...dampers ect. So yeh it's not the sort of thing to change drastically in isolation.

nolive721 and Havner like this.
  16. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Hello

thanks so much for taking the time to address this car behaviour that quite a few, including myself, consider as an issue.

I did a few laps at spa with the adjusted camber to 8deg and its not great I am sorry to report.

the weird thing is that in standard camber, so no tweaking at all, the car handling has become even worse than S397 std variant. very light FFB even in fats corners now and poor self centring of the wheel

I did uninstall your version and run the original car and its back to normal behaviour, although not satisfying as per the long years of frustration with this car

my wheel is Top tier belt driven one(TS PC) if some other users maybe could comment or guide me if I am doing something wrong with my testing of the modified car

Thanks

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you didn't read the above posts properly.

We don't know what the normal caster is. Doddynco has provided a modification that allows you to set between 6 and 20°. The original car might be 7, might be 9, might be 10. If the modified one feels worse (in this manner) to you, you're probably running less caster than the original one. So raise it.

Havner and doddynco like this.
  18. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

you didn't read my comments properly either, it seems.

without touching anything, the car behaviour is worse, to me, than the S397 variant, for whatever reason that I am yet to figure out

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Because it's possible the normal (original) car has caster of, say, 10°.

If the modified one defaults to 6°, it will feel worse. You're supposed to increase the caster. (note: I don't know what it defaults to. Just trying to explain...)

*edit... yep.... defaults to 6...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Havner likes this.
  20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I had to raise to 13deg and now the car feels amazing, largely on par with the APexModding SLS I was enjoying so much these years

@doddynco
    you have no idea how much grateful am for you to have fixed this car, thanks a ton really!
    PS you should drop a note to S397devs about your work man because that should be made available to anyone in the base Game

atomed and doddynco like this.