wrong car icon

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Manfredk2, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

One of the GT3 skins i use, is shown false. So it looks in the car selection (all icons at the differnt sizes are there)
    Screenshot 2022-02-07 092623.jpg

So it looks in race. This is the icon of a FVR V8 supercar. Saw this also on one of the Porsche (icon probably from a Nissan 370z)
    Screenshot 2022-02-07 092720.jpg

What could cause this? Driver names seem to be different

2. redapg

redapg Registered

Did you check the Icons?
    Maybe the Problem is, that the different sized Icons in the Sets for each Car have been mixed somehow or are not named properly.

3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

The icons of the p1 car seem to be okay.

I renamed for a test the icons from the lonestar car, which is working, but i still get the icon from the V8 Supercar

Screenshot 2022-02-07 143233.jpg

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I had the same problem with a couple of my skins. It's a naming problem, it's a clash of two similar skins. Try renaming your skins so that they are totally unique to each skin so that there is no similarity between skins. My usual naming method Team Name car number and driver name eg. Phoenix77-Max. Ensure all files in the mas file have the same name, also check the info in the veh file is correct. Hope this may be of help.

5. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

This could be the problem. The skin name of the V8 car is DJRTP11_AU21, so maybe the p1 collides. Same with the one Porsche named NGT. It collides with the NGTR_00 from Nissan GT1

6. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

great, that was it. Renaming did the job. Again what learned :) Thank you

7. Highlandwalker

Glad to be of help.

Manfredk2 likes this.
  8. Brent

Brent Registered

I'm having a similar issue but it's a mixing of icons between vehicles within the same mod. It seems to happen with lots of AI vehicles in the session, at least I haven't noticed it with the car I select or with a number of people online.

I named vehicles in this format. 37 is a driver car number and a and b are their 2nd and 3rd livery.
    XXXX_37
    XXXX_37a
    XXXX_37b

Some vehicles have UI icons that don't match the AI vehicles on track but it's a livery of the same number. I haven't tried adding more characters to the naming, this format has worked for me in the past.

I'm speculating this might be caused from adding in more AI than the total number of vehicles in the mod. Where the UI doesn't understand what UI icon to assign if more than one of the same vehicle is loaded in twice??? For example it loads in say all three of the liveries above and when it loads the second duplicate vehicle in the session say XXXX_37 it determines that vehicle/icon is used so it assigns another UI icon say XXXX_37a?

9. lagg

lagg Registered

This has happened in our servers, with real drivers (without AIs).
    It's related with the names. Use names clearly different (IIRC veh names).
    For example:
    TeamOne_01
    TeamOne_02
    TeamTwo_01

Don't use
    TeamOne1
    TeamOne11
    Because you can have problems

Brent likes this.
  10. Highlandwalker

I ran 25 AI of the recently released Moyoda which only has two liveries and all icons in the UI were correct for each fictional driver. The naming of the two liveries is unique, I haven't seen any skins named with anything near similar to the Moyoda skins so I still think there may be some sort of naming clash of skins if the incorrect icon is shown in the UI. Every time I have had the wrong icon in the UI and then when I renamed the affected skin it cured the problem. My suggestion is to make each skin name as unique as possible.

Brent and lagg like this.
  11. Brent

Brent Registered

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to add a suffix to the filenames. Something like XXXX_37_ATEX, XXXX_37_BHAV, XXXX_37_CSUN and maybe include some random numbers. You shouldn't have to do this though. The programming should pick up the characters of the names of the vehicle file name and associate it to the icons without issue. I understand if vehicle files were indeed duplicate would cause a conflict, but not when they are similar but only one character different. Makes no sense.

12. Highlandwalker

There's always been a naming problem even when using the virtual driver and rcd system, car and skin wouldn't even show up in the car selection list, so it's nothing new. AMS2 also has naming problems, then again all computer programs and files can have naming problems. It's something you have to live with when using computers, a incorrect punctuation mark or in the wrong place can cause problems. The problem is finding where the error is.

13. Brent

Brent Registered

Ok, after a multiplayer session with more drivers I can confirm that the wrong icons are showing up even for non AI. It seems consistent from what I found and I have an idea why. When someone loads vehicle XXXX_37 the icon loads in as XXXX_37a. When they load vehicle XXXX_37a the icons then match correctly with those that go with XXXX_37a.

Here's what I think is happening, when vehicle XXXX_37 is loaded, the UI is looking for the first icon file(s) that match the first 7 characters "XXXX_37" in alpha numeric order. The UI is looking for "XXXX_37" and first one it finds that satisfies the first 7 characters is XXXX_37a-icon and so it incorrectly loads the XXXX_37a-icon. The "-icon" of the icon file name(s) changes the ascending order (XXXX_37-icon is below XXXX_37a-icon)!!!! It will be a week or so for me to get the time to rename the files and test again. When I do I'm going to make sure the file name is the same length for all of them. I will rename XXXX_37 to XXXX_37a and XXXX_37a to XXXX_37b so they are all 8 characters in length. This confirms with what @lagg mentioned in his previous post on what names to not use as well.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

lol, I was just coming on to bring up that old naming limitation from rF1/GTR2. The game will accept file names up to 16 characters(or at least that used to be the limit) but it would stop searching if it matched the first 7 or 8(I had forgotten which exactly) But it sounds like you are on top of things, the one worry, with so many cars & mods, it won't be long before those first 7 characters get reused by something else.

15. Brent

Brent Registered

I can confirm changing the file names to have the same number of characters with a unique final character as I mentioned in my previous post, fixed the UI icon mix up issue.

It's really long overdue, it would be nice to have an offical user guide section for this.