Announcing Competition System Season 1

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

We are talking about 10€ for a track and 5€ for a car, if simracing is the primary hobby, you have certainly spent a lot of money for everything else around it..... if I buy the track and then but can not participate in the event I still own the track, I know that some complain about it but I just do not understand it

2. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

An example for this season in iRacing.
    The GT3 Fanatec Challenge fixed.
    1 car -> $12 (The usual thing is that everyone buys all the cars so depending on the circuit you use the one that best suits...)
    The schedule:
    Knockhill, Zandvoort, Red Bull Ring, Phillip Island, Silverstone, Sebring, Spa, Detroit, Mount Panorama, Watkins Glen, Monza, Imola.
    $15 per track.
    $192
    6 pieces of content 20% discount -> $38,4
    $153.6
    Annual subscription $110
    Total: $236.6
    And that is only for one series with B license, to race there you have to have run in D and C series, buy content from those series, other circuits, etc. In the first 2 years easily you cand spend more than $2000.

Dude, rFactor 2 and its DLC are literally a gift compared to iRacing, you can buy ALL the content of rFactor 2 for less money than you can spend on a single season of iRacing for a single category.
    This proposal made by S397 to compete online is together with RaceRoom, the cheapest, fairest and I hope it will be a win-win between the players and S397 so that they can make money and continue working.

And this is not a criticism of iRacing either, I am a user, I like their service, the reporting system is excellent (you can have extremely clean races), it has communities like the Lotus 79 which is one of the best you can find in the world of simracing and so on.
    But again, rFactor 2 is literally a gift compared to iRacing.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  3. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

Carlos Eduardo Araujo Registered

You are wasting your time! Here people applaud ALL the attitudes taken. People here don't have any critical sense. Since the first day of CS, several items were pointed out by the players that were not in the slightest condition to play... and what happened? NOTHING

I fully agree when the question is raised about it not being possible to do it in software... they spent 1 year inventing something in CS, that lost 1 year could be used to adapt the business model: If I have 1 car and 1 track I can run in this event!!

They spent 1 year inventing the wheel, to end up with a model similar to the one that delivers the best gaming experience!

And they almost always prefer to end by saying: If you're not satisfied, play another game.

This will never be the vision of a serious company, which wants to see its players say: WOW I want to do one more race

4. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Outside of suggesting single item discounts, and specifically in regards to the CS; I have tried to stay away from the money issue. That's why I used the Rookie Cup as one of my examples. I may run a streamlined install and may never race on; for example Mores, Portugal and Zandvoort. Why should I need to install those tracks just to race the weeks that I like the track and have it installed.
    Why not? It's no different to what any league has done in....forever. How much automation is there with the CS? Or are you still doing the work of splits, track change etc. personally. I honestly would be interested to know. In the case of the user, it would be up to 6 extremely small files per series instead of one. And at a guess, more participation in the CS, which would possibly lead to more sales.

Havner likes this.
  5. evi

evi Registered

Never experienced this problem with any of my wheels. But, maybe instead of returning to pits you can map "reset ffb" button and press that to get FFB back? (just an idea)

6. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

I'll take a guess:
    Daytona: 20.00 Euros
    IndyCar: 15.00 Euros
    BMW: 15.00 Euros

7. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

hello friend, within the simracing, I have a medium level within the group of humans, the aliens take me out a lot, but the important thing and I run in several leagues is that there are always, and I mean always, there are people to fight with in the race, whether you are very good, good, average or from the back, because there are people for everyone, don't be discouraged, the interesting thing is to have fun with fellow travelers, always respecting the car that goes next to you without having to throw it off the track Nothing more, be happy with your simulator and enjoy it, the main thing you gain is to enjoy the moment, regards

pkelly likes this.
  8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am only speaking for myself here, but sim racing isn't my only hobby. I actually spent alot more money on my car or on guitar tech. But this doesn't mean that people switch off their brains when buying something. I often read the argument that our hardware is so expensive, that we shouldn't complain about prices for DLCs. That argument would be somewhat true, if S397 was the sole developer offering content, but it doesn't work like that. They are a player in a niche market. In 99 % of the cases people will go a) where the most people are to race with or b) where it's easy and not too expensive to get into pick up MP races. Both of those points don't apply for rF2 currently. And if we are completely honest, 10 Euro for a single track isn't that cheap, when competing products offer four tracks and 45 liveries for 15 Euro. AC Ultimate edition is available for less than 10 Euro on a regular base and it's a very big issue aswell. Those offerings alone are a reason for big headscratching as it is a perpeduum mobile for earning money and no product will ever get below that price point. Cheap and expensive is all relative and pretty much dependend on the market. If all other products offered their tracks for 15 bucks you might have a point, but it isn't really the case. And it might surprise you, but iRacing currently isn't the main rival or benchmark. It's ACC, AC and recently RR3 doing a better job in taking a slice from the iRacing cake, while AMS2 might follow aswell.

At the end, it's allready a bad sign that we are discussing that the entry point to the CS should require a minimum requirement of effort and financial investment. This is where all the other products surpass rF2 and it shows in the player numbers in the CS. I am not saying that everything should be free, but I question if it is wise to put the financial focus on big expensive content packs that maybe a few users buy compared to distributing the financial load onto alot of different users. Kunos did this so well, that it is puzzles me why S397 hasn't followed.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    Carlos Eduardo Araujo likes this.
  9. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

But then we have an interesting situation, I bought the Ford GT3 5 years ago...I don't need to buy any more cars. If I only want to participate in the races on free tracks, I will have no problem. Just enter the game and participate in the races I have car and track.

The issue is not the value, because whoever likes the game and will race doesn't mind paying for the cars and tracks. Put in quality and organized races, you'll sell MUCH more than limiting people to race!

Apart from Kart and Formula E, I have everything in rFactor 2...just like I have a lot of content in iRacing and RaceRoom.

Ahhhhhh, one more thing: I paid for a lifetime license for Multiplayer!! I bought rFactor 2 in 2012, almost 10 years ago!

10. Comante

Comante Registered

Why all products on the market should downlevel all the same? They are not equal. It is their business, not yours.

This forum make me lose faith in humanity.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I guess nobody is telling S397 what to do with their business. At the end it's their desicion and responsibility to make it work and not ours. I just think that it's worth it to give input to improve the situation for all of us, as alot of sim racers use different products and not just one. It makes alot of sense to take a look beyond your bubble to check what works and what doesn't. And I will tell you, that I am quite sellfish in that respect, as I prefer racing with 30 people and not just 8. Yesterday I took part in a few CS races during Sunday prime time, when most people usualy find the time to go racing or gaming here in central Europe. We had like 10 people in most of the races (free content), wich just shows another issue. How are you going to work with splits and skill based matchmaking, if your average userbase consists of ten people? Are you going to split it into grids of four people? People want to have close racing, and not be five seconds apart after lap one from each other. And now someone will come around a corner and tell me to train harder or get faster. :p

Carlos Eduardo Araujo likes this.
  12. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Daytona is at 19 euros on steamdb right now, but still subject to change if I read correctly

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

this afternoon we found out, that speculation is very bad:);)

14. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

There is not free tracks in the GT3 series this season.

15. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

This season you're right... and last season? And on several other occasions? I have the car and I can race where I have the track, simple as that.

16. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

Correct. I hope it changes a lot, because if the value remains the current one, many users who defended the current system based on the value of cars and separate tracks will have to change the speech. Because, if the value is that, we will have the most expensive cars and tracks on the market

17. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

I'm not speculating buddy, just making a guess. Do you believe in what price range?

18. Havner

Havner Registered

Heh, steamdb lists 18.99EUR for the track and 14.99EUR for each car (3 total). Can't believe it would be that expensive. We'll know soon enough.

19. Carlos Eduardo Araujo

Me too

20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The verb to speculate is correct in the sense of 'to make guesses or suppositions', as is the corresponding noun speculation
    obviously in Spanish ...... in a few hours we will know:)

Deleted member 24698 likes this.