My rF2 exe vanished?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by SL1DE, Feb 4, 2022.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I just noticed my rF2 exe vanished, Steam thinks it's not installed so I can't verify integrity. I'd rather not have to reinstall because I don't wanna lose some mods, and then I also have to backup my ModDev and redo that.

Wondering if there's anything else I can do first? Maybe someone can send their executable so Steam can detect it and then I can verify integrity?

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

press install and point it to the steam library you had it installed in.... Steam will find the files and restore any that are missing.

Sounds like your virus scanner may have put the exe in quarantine.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You can put an EX in quarentine????

lagg likes this.
  4. lagg

lagg Registered

Not any more.

5. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Happened to me about a year ago. I had a INSTALL button instead of a PLAY button. Checked everything was there, it was apart from the rFactor2.exe. Workshop folder still there too. No idea why .exe was gone.
    Just like the OP, no option to verify integrity of files.

With nothing else to try, I clicked on the INSTALL button hoping it would just install missing files. Big mistake doing that. It redownloaded all 100 gig of my Subscribed workshop and install it again, took a few hours.

Something I wish I tried first. With Steam closed, take a copy of a.exe from another game and rename it rFactor2.exe then copy to the Bin64 folder. Then maybe option of verify integrity of files might show? I not tried this trick, but worth a go.

6. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yeah that's pretty much what I want to avoid. My internet isn't the best, it'll take an eternity.. I think I'll try install in another location and copy any missing files to my old directory and then uninstall the new install and hopefully Steam will find the old installation in my old SteamLibrary.

I hate Steam, always headaches. rF2 was so much better when it was standalone. :(

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

just save a text file as rfactor2\bin64\rfactor2.exe. It won't pass muster and will be replaced, leaving everything else alone.

SL1DE likes this.