Duplicate files in workshop and game directory.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ariff, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Ariff

Ariff Registered

I noticed that there are two 40gigs folders. One in the steam workshop directory and one in the game directory itself. How can I not have these duplicate files? 365960 refers to rfactor2 btw.
    Also, this is a fresh install, I already unsubscribed everything from workshop including official content. Downloaded and reinstalled rf2, and it auto subscribes to everything again.

upload_2022-2-3_16-22-46.png

upload_2022-2-3_16-23-23.png

2. boxer

boxer Registered

Unfortunately that's normal. When yous subscribe to the rF2 workshop content, steam copies all the files the steam content folder 365960 and then installs the mods to the game folder. From what we understand this is nothing the rF2 devs can do as that is controlled by steam. Steams reason is that if you to unsubscribe to item, steam wont delete from the content folder. If at later time you decided to re-subscribe to the same item again, steam instead of downloading from the workshop just installs from that backup folder. The part that sucks is if you were to delete that folder, steam will just download it again. The only way to work around it is not to subscribe to steam workshop content.

3. Ariff

Ariff Registered

damn that sucks, 40 gigs wasted just like that.... not sure if people even know about this and the solution to it

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Ariff likes this.
  5. Ariff

Ariff Registered

this just makes me prefer the package system from back then, sigh

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Pre-steam? Well, everything has its pros and cons.

If having all that duplicate data on your drive is an issue (presumably because of the space it takes) you have 2 options I'm aware of:
    1. Use a hard link (using mklink) to have your workshop folder on another, bigger, (and optionally slower) drive. Everything functions as normal, but your workshop 'backup' is on another drive and not taking space on your games one.
    2. Copy the.rfcmp files from the workshop folders to some other storage device. Unsubscribe from them in steam (doesn't work for DLC). Install any you want manually by putting them in the rF2\Packages folder and installing them in the game or via ModMgr. Remove the .rfcmp from the Packages folder. If you don't mind having to download them again later in the event of a reinstall or whatever you don't even need to keep the .rfcmp at all - just the one 'copy' installed into rF2 is fine. Note that you won't get any updates for that content from steam because you are no longer subscribed to it. You can obviously choose to only use this method for old content that won't get updated at all.
    Personally I'd take the mklink option. Just don't forget years down the track that you did it, because it can be confusing when something goes wrong (like the storage drive dying) and you don't know where your workshop folder went.

Ariff likes this.
  7. Lethal

Lethal Registered

a different way is to download from https://steamworkshopdownloader.io
    separately and install it manually, but it is inconvenient

Ariff likes this.
  8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered