Discord "bullying"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dalmation, Feb 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

Yesterday I joined the rfactor discord because I needed some help. I recently purchased rfactor and was having fun, but I wanted to try online. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to join any servers.

I joined the discord to ask for help and I tagged the developers in hoping there was a solution. I did not find any help at all and I felt I was bullied by the moderators.

I was made to feel stupid and I had everyone going against me, cheering on Jimmy Allisen who instead of helping me treated me like I was a bad person.

I received two private messages. One of them was someone calling me a “black ape”, and the other one was calling me a “retard”.

I will admit I might have come across abrasive, and I was very frustrated, but I sincerely just wanted some help and understanding. Instead all I got was a group of people against me and some offensive messaging. When I tried to talk back to Jimmy Allisen I was simply booted from the discord server, while his ‘cheer squad’ cheered on. I felt humiliated and depressed, and I turned of the game and gave up.

All I wanted was some help and now that I am banned from the discord I’m not able to find help on the fly.

I will apologise for my abrasive behaviour, it is honestly not me, but I was having a bad day already, and receiving those messages fired me up more.

is that it then? Am I banned from the discord for good because of that? Do I get another chance and to seek support again for a recent game that I like?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think any of us here should comment on what happened on discord, if Jimmi or other staff want to that's probably most appropriate.

In the meantime try making a thread in the technical support section of the forum here.

3. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

I
    do appreciate then I will. I’m still upset I was banned though and I would like to be unbanned. I’d like to know what comment(s) was the reason for the ban. The others can call me black ape and retard and get away Scott free.

4. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

S397’s Discord was a dumpster fire during the BLM protests, with users really showing their true colours. Racist comments went unmoderated and I am therefore no longer on the Discord server.

I am saddened to hear that racism is still allowed.

Travis, Ariff and Dalmation like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just for the record, I was present the whole time during this (Dalmatian) discord exchange and nothing racist was publicly posted. I wouldn't stand by if it had been.

But again - don't want to revisit this among users here, as it won't be productive.

Dalmation and nonamenow like this.
  6. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

The messages were sent privately which makes it worse because people hide, and then present themselves as angels in the public!

Ariff likes this.
  7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This story has a lot of loose ends. If this has happened I'd really like to see some proof. You can screenshot private messages and send them to me.

Also, racist comments definitely get moderated. Vitto was an example of that. They might have missed something, but if they see racism they take action

8. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

I follow S397 discord constantly and didnt notice racism tolleration you talking about.
    Maybe some messages got trough the night (yes it's mainly moderated in European time zone) and were removed in the morning... those are just false accusation. Period.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    juanchioooo likes this.
  9. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

Beats me. Someone just wanted to act racist for the sake of it.

10. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

Sure go on about loose ends. Something racist happens and you try to shrug it off as a ‘story’.

11. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

Considering the messages I received I don’t doubt what the guy you are replying to is saying.

12. Dalmation

Dalmation Registered

I will wait to hear a reply from one of the developers. I think it’s wrong to ban someone who was the victim of a racial slur and other offensive comments. I only got angry when I received those comments because clearly I came across as a “retard” (as I was called) for asking how to join a server.

I get annoyed and bite back to the bully’s. Next thing I get banned. Nice.

EDIT: also thank you to the person who let me know about the bad comments said about me when I was banned. Really nice, thanks guys!

13. While i appreciate the attempt of explaining how things went down, i think you are a bit off. First of, anyone can join discord and scroll to the time and date (yesterday around 8:00am CET). If you then review what was said:
    After you tagged every dev and asked for support, you then got into a fight with the community, even after they helped you with a link on how to set up a server. Within minutes YOU said people were racist - nothing ever mentioned about pm, I dont see the reason for people to do that and if that is the case - send me proof, however i have not once seen racist remarks in discord.
    Discord is moderated - if you step out of line you are gone.

Anyways i see you rejoined discord with a new user and excused yourself to the community, i expect this to be sorted. If not feel free to send me a message.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  14. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Considering what happened in combination with you refusing to share those allegedly racist PMs, gives me reason to doubt your story yes. Its not trying to shrug it off, its trying to get the truth above water.

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

As much as I had bad experience in Discord and have been bullied out myself. As much as I didn't fit in among all those ultra cool guys, that are very awesome. As much as it is fundamentally designed for little circles and shallow discussions, and therefore far far faaaaaar inferior to good old forums.

I think this particular case is kind of fishy, and I don't think this is genuine.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@Dalmation

If you want proper help or to be heard; don't pull the racism card if there are no witnesses and you are not going to prove it.
    Wether it happened or not; it is pulling the weight out of your story.
    Keep it in the headlines; "I was bullied, no help, I was banned". You see where the topic is going now, right?

Some well meant advise mate.

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  17. lagg

lagg Registered

@Dalmation , i don't know anything about what has happened in Discord (in fact i don't know anything about Discord itself), but i use rF2 from the first day and i'm in this forum a lot of years.
    I've seen a lot of complains, rants, whynings and some trolls, but i've never seen any racist comment.

atomed, mantasisg and Alessio Feletto like this.
  18. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Was already wondering what took you so long to come here to complain about discord

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I was busy.

[​IMG]

Remco Majoor likes this.
  20. Again you dramatized the entire discord from very early in the morning with saying people wanted you to die, send you drawings and also asked YOU for nudes even if it was my message that was quoted. Now since you didn't want to explain yourself - i once again have removed your access.

Matasisg - you shouldn't get involved in this, there is no need to critisize discord when its this one user that makes all the troubles. Yes we have seen it before with other users, but they hardly stay too long.

Remco Majoor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.