Default speed of sounds is wrong

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by doddynco, Oct 5, 2021.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The doppler effect is way over exaggerated when a car passes by a spectator camera. It just looks (sounds) wrong.

There's a player.json setting which doesn't do anything. Which is a shame because the default is way too low.

"Speed Of Sound":*****,
    "Speed Of Sound#":"340m/s at sea level, but lower numbers help exaggerate the Doppler effect",

Please raise this hidden setting to 340-350m/s so that the cars don't sound so silly when they pass by. I hope this is easy enough.

atomed, Alexandr Meshkov and Corti like this.
  2. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I'd like to add that the doppler effect reacts to height and air density and stuff. So, it would be great to bring this setting to the track-gdb's or something like that, so it is track-specific. Back in rf1 I used to have it even at 400m/s...

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The speed of sound increases as the medium density increases. Tracks with greater altitude have lower air density.

Where exactly are you racing?

*I'll edit this.

@doddynco how did you test this? I just put it on 30. It certainly sounded like it did something.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  4. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Influence of density is very low for every earth place you can imagine. Main influence is temperature!
    Anyway, using 340m/s the effect will be about right.
    Doppler effect has improved since RF1, when the change in frequency was too fast (as if the listener's ear was closer to the track than the camera), but i would say that was fixed.

5. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered