rFactor 2 | The Road Ahead

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Oh crikey - does this mean we have three months to wait for the Setup listing VR fix to the latest UI???

<edit>“we will use the intermittent weeks between these releases as opportunities to bring any hotfix updates”

Missed that first time around…

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  3. Nick9320

Nick9320 Registered

atomed and MileSeven like this.
  4. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Oh FFs, what is this? Some actual info please???? Better we had nothing... It's the same thing that's already been said. New UI hype doesn't cut it for me. If February doesn't come with actual deliveries on things hinted at other roadmaps like physics features and stuff I'm out of here. Tired of being disappointed on rF2. Maybe I'll comeback later as you've recommended.

5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Discord have all the answers for why this is just so limited in information. Can't for the life of me understand why forums can't also receive the same pieces of information when they are so insightful and could've saved me some frustrated comments.

It seems we all can expect more info today... But why post that in the forum post :rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. Havner

Havner Registered

Would you share what you learned on Discord please? I'm not following anything there.

Dady Cairo and Mauro like this.
  7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Wait a little bit. I actually want to see if Paul or S397 actually comes here and posts what they've wrote on Discord. It's ridiculous to have it like this and not the first time I post Discord info in here. If they take too long I'll post it myself. Sorry.

8. lagg

lagg Registered

If they didn't even announce the 24h Le Mans race, here...

9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Good morning guys - doing some catch up reading as had a busy weekend and didn't stay on top of discord much. I'd like to quickly take the opportunity to clarify a couple of bits for those that maybe missed it recently.

Roadmaps - going forward these will no longer be published on a monthly basis as we have been doing up to this point. Rather than have a monthly, we will publish info as and when appropriate.

Road Ahead article - this is planned for today, but I wanted to set some expectation here, as I'm seeing some comments from some people that suggest they are expecting this to outline in detail everything we have planned going forward. Frankly, this will not be even close to the case. What the article will do is introduce our plan to publish updates and content drops into a scheduled cycle - but, the details of what will come and when, are simply far too fluid to put into writing at this point. Anyone who's been around a while or worked in software development will know all too well that saying ahead of time that x is going to happen is just inviting problems - too many variables, too many opportunities for things to have to be changed.

Additionally, as we are now under Motorsport Games, and they are a public business, we also have to appreciate sensitivities around forward looking statements - so saying x will happen on y and then having to change things because of unexpected things is, quite simply, a massive no no in these situations.

That point aside, we do have a robust and exciting internal plan (certainly the best and most detailed I've seen since being at the studio) with lots of good things intended, many of which are oft requested by the community, it's just that we will have to announce and talk about these things as we get into the release window for them, and when we know they will 100% be happening.

All from Paul on Discord.

Attached Files:

10. Havner

Havner Registered

I presume this was about Daytona? I would've preferred some core changes/patches :(

Sim_Player and Nieubermesch like this.
  11. Comante

Comante Registered

Large firms have different priorities and communication routines, this is not automatically bad. We will learn to understand and wait, and they will learn to better communicate within the limits their partner put in place. I think that as soon we will see development going forward it will be nice to wait some months from update to update.

TrigMan59 and pkelly like this.
  12. Corgan

Corgan Registered

Yes but with this announcement, there will be no excuses for them. This model works for iRacing, but we have to wait and see whether it works for s397. We saw big announcements from them in the past, so I still don't believe a word until I see it with my own eyes. I have hope though. With this new UI they took a great start. I'm curious whether they will be able to continue this effort with constant quality updates, and not with just new content and PBR updates. Now they took the hype-train, so they have to deliver.
    One more thing. I think we've already learned to understand and wait. At least, to wait.

Dady Cairo, Havner and Nieubermesch like this.
  13. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Nah, Daytona! February is my last chance for S397. No more money from me. No more support from me. The opposite will happen. Enough is enough.

Dady Cairo and memoNo1 like this.
  14. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I like the new strategy and I am not so naive that the information that is transmitted to us must represent total transparency. Besides, there are always developments that you can't see beforehand. It's obvious that you continue to maintain and develop the simulation, that's the most important info for me. You also have to bring a little patience

TrigMan59 likes this.
  15. stonec

stonec Registered

Why do we need constant roadmaps to stay interested? IMO this is largely artificial hype. I don't see iRacing releasing constant blogs about new features. They do quarterly updates, just like the plan is here. It actually makes more sense to deliver meaningful updates quarterly than to write roadmaps about updates, some of them which never end up materializing.

I got the impression some people were more excited about the roadmaps than actual updates, which never made sense to me. Some even thought a roadmap update meant an actual game update, which was almost never the case. When I actually get the update it's a nice surprise instead of something that has been hyped up for months in roadmaps and ends up not fulfilling expectations.

U. Daniel, lagg and Mauro like this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

February is basically now, so in about a month there will be new build, that is nice.

I am all for build per quarter, if it contains good improvements. Progress is progress, better than regress or stall. The more progress the better. Doesn't really makes that much difference how often it is distributed, the total volume is what matters.

This being said, I should report one bad bug now, as it probably will not get a priority for more than one quarter.

Dady Cairo, Binny and Nieubermesch like this.
  17. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

what I hope this year to save the boat :
    - AI fix
    - Shadow fix
    - AI selection
    - New dust/smoke particles
    - 5 more tracks
    - Better night ambient for Azure (as a paid DLC, it's a joke) and for all the tracks
    - Better night reflection
    - Better sound

Dady Cairo and Nieubermesch like this.
  18. Binny

Binny Guest

@Paul Jeffrey So are we going to get any info on certain things that will be getting an update like AI, CS,UI,VR,GRAPHICS, CORE,CODE, PHYSICS or are we to guess ? What i get is you have set quarterly updates but we have no idea what's coming and may never know until it drops. Content dont care about as we all know you cannot release any info until a certain time due to licensing. Or am i seeing this wrong and like ppl above have said you are going down the same path like IR.

mesfigas, Havner, Mauro and 1 other person like this.
  19. Binny

Binny Guest

Im not on discord but seems like i should be, more info there from what you are saying than the forums. Cannot understand this unless discord is their main source of info and if so why have a forum just tell everyone we are moving to discord.

20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I could speculate that is because theres none, but UI came with no announcement of them working on it... So I guess there will be something, but I can't for the life of me understand why some of the things that are probably definitively being worked on are taking so long to announce.

Dady Cairo, memoNo1 and Binny like this.