Graphics engine stops running, game works in background

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Manuel Biancolilla, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Manuel Biancolilla

Manuel Biancolilla Registered

Basically what i said in the title.

Display stops refreshing, while i can still feel ffb running and audio too.

Happens outtanowhere.

Attached Files:

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

please list your hardware specifications, video card + Vram, CPU + system Ram & laptop vs desktop.

3. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

Manuel, did you have any success with this? I'm having what sounds like the same issue and similar trace file errors regarding loading .mas files.

4. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I had this happen 4 hours in, in a 6 hour enduro(30/10/21). Very disappointing, especially for my race partner.
    I've looked at the trace file but I don't see anything to suggest anything went wrong.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Anything in the event viewer?

6. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

When ever I overclock my graphics card, this can happen.
    So maybe your graphics card software "crashes"?

7. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

In my case anyway I've ruled out hardware issues - did a furmark stress test (among other things) and the GPU chugged along at max load at 70c with no issues. I eventually installed rf2 on an old install of windows 10 on the same machine and it works fine on there, so the problem is related to the install of rf2 on the other (fully updated) windows partition.

8. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I know you say you have checked your hardware, but have you tried underclocking the graphicscard?

9. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

Update:
    OK so it turns out my issue was related to gsync. Disabled, it's absolutely fine. Re-enabled, it crashes every time...

davehenrie likes this.
  10. Paun Robert

Paun Robert Registered

I have the exact same issue. I tried a game reinstall, windows reinstall and drivers reinstall. I am using a G-sync compatible monitor. My pc is R5 1600x, 16gb of ram 3200mhz, gtx 1660. All temperatures stay under 80c, rf2 is the only game i am having issues with.

11. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

Yeah I went through similar ballache with reinstalling the game / unsubscribing from content / DDU'd gfx drivers etc etc. Eventually it was as simple as turning off gsync. Likewise rF2 is the only game I've had this issue with...

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I use Freesync, the AMD version of GSync. I get occasional lockups with one particular game, but rarely with rF2. I have had the vidcard repaired twice under warranty. Each time the problems disappeared for 6month to a year, but then returned. Currently I am just dealing with it til I can afford a new card or system. But rF2 doesn't seem to be affected very often, rather it is World of Warships that causes lockups. I get AMD error messages even in windows from time to time and my drivers get reset automatically.

13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I experienced the same problem last Saturday during a race. The displays froze on a specific frame, while FFB, audio and network were still functioning. I could hear other cars approaching, and I could feel the wheel FFB still going normally, but couldn't see anything moving on the screens.
    I have been using the same system for years now, without problems (GTX 1080, i7 4770K, 16 Gb RAM, etc...)
    The only thing that I upgraded in December was my monitors. Before that I was using ASUS VG248QE, now I'm using VG278QR which are GSYNC and FreeSync compatible.
    I'm using Nvidia surround so I can't see any GSYNC option in my control panel, or at least I haven't found where it is.

I checked Event viewer and the crash events are there, at the exact time it happened.
    This is what they look like:

upload_2022-1-12_22-22-31.png

The error strings, for future web searches, are the following:
    • "nvlddmkm"
    • "Event ID 13"
    • "Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000002"
    • "Graphics Exception: EXTRA_MACRO_DATA"
    A web search for those strings yields a few interesting results, including https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...41906/event-id-13-from-source-nvlddmkm-error/, possibly linked to G-SYNC, but nothing conclusive.
    If anyone knows how to disable G-Sync, or finds a solution to this, please let me know!

14. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe this at ~ 3.55?:

15. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

Your issue sounds identical to the one I was having. I was also supposed to be racing on Saturday but didn't even manage to get on track as the problem started as soon as I booted up on Saturday morning. Better that I suppose than it freezing in mid-race, but yeah still frustrating! Anyway I'm using 3x Asus PG278QR monitors with an 8700k and 1080ti so not too far from your own setup. You should see this option in the nvidia control panel, to disable it just untick the box:
    [​IMG]

cosimo likes this.
  16. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I don't seem to have this option in my nvidia control panel.
    I'm running Windows 8.1 and latest game-ready drivers for it are version 472.12.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From a very quick google I think g-sync compatible requires Windows 10.

cosimo likes this.
  18. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

I've had the exact same problem for months now. Even with this error in Windows Events. I already posted here on the forum at the time to see if someone could help me and I was not successful. Of the few people who have posted that have the same problem, and who have posted their settings, I notice that they always use a 1000 series Nvidia card. My card is a GTX 1080.
    I currently have an I9 10900K, 16g, M2 480g, Aoc Agon AG323FCXE Curved 31.5" 165Hz Gamer Monitor with Freesync, but I play on Oculus Rift CV1. Windows 10.

The problem happens more in some cars, such as the Ferrari GT3. I started a championship with her and couldn't finish any races. With other cars the problem happens occasionally.

I've done all possible hardware tests, including swapping the Rift with my brother's and reinstalling Windows. I've tested several old Nvidia drivers and always with the same problem. In other games like ACC and PUBG which are others I play a lot, I never had the problem.
    I would like to change the video card to see if this is the problem, but with the current value of the cards, I can't.

I've had rF2 since 2012, and I've never had this problem. I've been using Rift and this video card since 2017 and never had a problem. The problem appeared a few months ago and since then it's always been a mystery if I'll be able to finish the race without the freeze.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  19. lagg

lagg Registered

Have you checked the % of use and temperature of the CPU and GPU when the problem occurs?

20. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

Yes, all normal. I've already tested the graphics at least. CPU usage stays at less than 20% and GPU usage at 60%.
    Since my monitor is not Gsync, I don't have that option in my Nvidia control panel.