Cadillac DPi Gearing for AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClemG, Jan 29, 2022.

1. ClemG

ClemG Registered

I only race offline vs. the AI. I noticed that the Cadillac DPi's have very short gearing and are way down on top speed compared to the LMP2 Orca's. Around Daytona the Caddy tops out around 168-170 while the LMP2 cars are running in the mid 180's. I can adjust my own car, but the AI Cadillac's are getting killed. Is there anyway to fix this? I also noticed it on other tracks as well. It's not realistic at all if you want to include the DPi's in and offline race. I love the Endurance Pack's and bought them both, but this issue with the Cadillac is pretty much a rip-off. Can it be fixed? Thanks!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I went to Indy for the big oval and found (like Clem did) the AI were gearing limited to 166mph. With a 1 click wing reduction, and two gearing steps I could just reach 193mph without a draft. So the car is clearly capable of more.(btw, Indy at BELOW 200mph is BORING! lol...) I thought the Caddy DPI had a Le Mans option & I was going to recommend that, but it did not. The LMP2 Oreca's were hitting 188mph.
    Part of the problem is that these are not IMSA LMP2 cars. AFAIK they are not specific to any particular series. Imsa slowed the LMP2's down several years ago and WEC has begun to do the same, I do not think these rF2 Orecas meet either qualification.
    But the problem still exists that the Caddy's are just not properly geared for Daytona. With the exception of Maybe Sebring, the 166mph gearing may not be a problem but on the Oval the gearing is just too short.
    I used to know how to make AI setups for specific tracks, mainly in rF1/GTR2. Hopefully somebody will see this and perhaps know if the procedure still works.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

@ClemG Ok, did a little digging and found the option on the Car Customize screen to change from DPI to Hypercar. They Hyper car reaches 201mph for me and I was seeing 195ish for the AI(I think I'm at 95%) So the Hypercar setting also frees up the gearbox to go with a stronger engine.
    On the Customize screen near the top center is Dpi> click on the > symbol and they hypercar is then chosen.
    Keep in mind that is at Indy 2020, I seem to have lost my Rolex. :)

4. AUY2K

AUY2K Registered

Thanks so much guys for bringing this up! I am currently setting up an offline IMSA series and this will be something I will have to look into - adjusting the DPi - Hypercar. It’s either that or go back to the DPi mod.

5. ClemG

ClemG Registered

Dave, thanks for showing me the Hypercar adjustment, but that is not the solution. Yes, MY car is then a Hypercar but the AI Cadillac's are still DPi and very slow. I don't think there's a fix without messing with in game files (modding things). I'm not a tech/geek modder type and don't want to mess my game up doing things I know nothing about (haha). I think the Cadillac DPi that I bought is worthless for offline racing against the AI. Heck the Norma's as fast on top speed. Do you know how this can be brought to the attention of Studio-397? They could fix this in a heartbeat. I want Cadillac DPi's in the field in my offline racing that should be out in front and not getting killed by 3-4 secs a lap by the LMP2 cars. Again, I can adjust gearing for MY car, but the problem is the AI Caddy's.

R.Noctua likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Choose the hypercar option, then force setup, you should see small text at the top that says something like Hypercar* *
    I ran one test last night, with the force setup, the Hypers ran 1:38's(installed a different Daytona) theLMP2 were right behind at 1:39-1:40ish. Curiously, there are some third party Acura Dpis that are about a half second faster than even the Hypers. Both are probably a little too fast on the oval, but slightly slower on the infield.

atomed likes this.
  7. ClemG

ClemG Registered

Dave'o, way to come through my man! You solved my issue :) Thanks a lot for your help. I'm somewhat of a newbie only having the sims now for a little under a year. Very happy with everything so far. BTW, I did subscribe to the Acura in the workshop and I'm pretty happy with those so far. Thanks again!

davehenrie likes this.
  8. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Unfortunately, that does not work for AI. They remain DPi

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

No, it worked for me, you have to choose Hypercar & then click on the Force Setup button. You will then see at the top of the screen the Hypercar * * header.(in very tiny letters) With that choice all the S397 Caddillacs will load as Hypercars, Other cars like the 3rd Party Acuras will remain DPI but their speeds will be very close to the S397 Hyper speeds.
    One caveat, all this was done with James Mabe's 3rd party version of Daytona. I haven't tried it yet with the official S397 Daytona.

atomed and R.Noctua like this.
  10. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I tried it again - it works. Thank you very much!

Works great with S397 Daytona and steam Acura mod )

davehenrie likes this.
  11. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I bought 3 LMP´s a few day´s ago, the Caddy, The Oreca and the URD GR010 LMH. I also have the Ligier P217. Today I got to trying the Caddy, I was mainly trying the LMH since a bought them, but today was the DPi´s turn (Caddy). All this at LeMans In "honor" to this long awaited LM24h 2022 edition.

I was quite surprised to see that my flaming DPi was quite slow (168km/h), actually I really could not believe my eyes. Until I discovered what Dave stated above, the option to choose the Hypercar version, which then gave me 188km/h. What I am glad to have searched and have found this thread were Dave also suggest the "force setup" so the AI can keep pace with the rest of the grid. So I am happy for that.

Although I think that there should be more Info for us noobs In this case, because If I hadn't did a search here I would have thought a got a turd of a car I am afraid. At least speed wise! Also very grateful that people like Dave and some others are willing to help, but I still think there should be more Info on things like this, a technical spec sheet, BOP etc. for each car you buy. Maybe there Is but It sure Isn´t evident at first glance that I know of.

Anyhow, I´ll try this at LM and see what happens, and again, thank you to Dave for the fix (setting), but I do think S397 should do something about this (documentation) because not everybody knows were to find this or If this even exist.

atomed likes this.
  12. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

So I guess I can set a some what reasonable grid with the DPi (as a DPi), the Ligier P320 and the Norma M30. Trying to set-up grids of at least three In all the LMP´s available for rF2.