What's the difference between JSONs ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SMN, Jan 29, 2022.

1. SMN

SMN Registered

What difference does it make if I make an edit in the rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\xxx.JSON or in rFactor 2\UserData\player\Controller.JSON?
    The contents of these files are the same. What is the difference between them and where should I edit them manually?
    I'm confused ...

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

the first xxx.json is a custom version that can have whatever specific assignments you want. For instance a DRS profile that includes a button to activate DRS. The controller.json is overwritten each time you exit a racing session. I think it holds your last profile.(Lazza will correct me if I have that wrong!) Usually you only need to edit the XXX version and then make sure you select that version in-game.
    There is a rather persistent bug for the yaw that older profiles load at -80%. You can edit both of those to hopefully correct future issues with that bug.

RaceNut likes this.
  3. SMN

SMN Registered

Yes, that's why I asked, there is some confusion with "exaggerate yaw", when you load xxx.json profile this parameter is always reset to -80%.
    Manually edit in xxx.json. Thanks for the advice... a lot of information about how to edit, for example FFB in a json file, but it doesn't say in which json. They often write that in controller.json, but it should be in xxx.json (as you write). I get it.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

An old controller.json will have the yaw bug in it, so you should edit it at least once. Otherwise all your saved ones will have it too.

As of right now, you should set Exaggerate yaw to -3 in the file. This makes the game ignore it.

And as Dave said, if you never save or load profiles the controller.json is the correct one to edit. If you have a custom one in the Controller folder (make sure it's a custom one - If you edit an existing one it'll be overwritten at some point in the future) you need to load it in the game.

5. SMN

SMN Registered

Did I understand correctly that the file xxx.json (in Controller folder) needs to be edited only when this profile (xxx) was selected to be active before leaving the game?