The 2022 UI Update for rFactor 2 - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 22, 2022.

1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Any positive change is welcome.

And this is a positive change (UI).

But much more than that, which is very positive in my opinion, is that the guys from S397 have this time definitely understood that something was wrong (for all rF2 not only UI of course) : that's a good thing, which should be positive for rFactor 2.

As I said to @Paul Jeffrey 1 or 2 weeks ago, the desire to do very regular updates that they now post, as well as this questioning that they seem to have and that allows to update the UI in a significant way, is a good thing.

Elcid43 likes this.
  2. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

New video:

jayarrbee36, Feer9, Binny and 16 others like this.
  3. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

It is a small thing but just bought the Formula Pro because of the new UI announcement. Keep the ball rolling!

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am getting involuntary smile. Feels like it is going to be nice experience.

5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hahaha excellent, the Formula Pro is epic - you won't be disappointed :D

6. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Looking nice for sure. Lets go rF2. While there are some features on physics I'd like developed and added I just want mostly the tire problems to be solved and I'm an happy camper!

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

Formula Pro would even be mandatory if the UI consisted exclusively of green text ;-)

atomed likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

do we need a Relative in VR or the tags, do we know when they will be available? @Paul Jeffrey

9. haunetal1990

haunetal1990 Registered

looks great
    and a chance for the new Tatuus? ;)

10. Florian Boswell

Florian Boswell Registered

This new single player UI looks ways more user friendly indeed but I have to admit that it disappoints me that there still is no proper AI selector. Such a feature (e.g. like the one R3E added) would simplify building grids for offline events so much...

11. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

True... I usually drive with the same car I select because it's a hurdle to get it different class cars... Not my main issues, UI and things, but it would be good. If it's good for RF2 and new players I'm still very happy though!

12. Binny

Binny Guest

@Paul Jeffrey Hi just wondering with the new UI to be released do we still have to hit exit the game 2 times ?

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Please, please, please stop with the enormous long lists!! And worse, indented lists!!!

I see it again in the latest video for track selection. Guys, most people probably have 50 plus tracks installed. It's UX/UI 101 that you don't put that length of a set into a scrollable list. If its lists of sales orders or something, again, you wouldn't ever do this. Thats a UI element that works for about 10 or so, not 50. Worse, you then go into an indented list for the 4 or 5 layouts for each track. What iRacing have, is a list of tracks (still bad) but a button at the end with a drop down to select the specific layout. Or better still, utilize all the space you have to the right where you put up a picture of the layout and details of it, to have that be the area you select the specific layout you want.

You've got the same problem with Opponents (classes, in fact) and Roster (list of AIs you want). Having these in massive lists is not the way to do it.

You've got to start thinking in terms of type/class/subclass and attributes you can search and filter on. The number of cars and tracks isn't going to reduce: it's going to keep growing. You've got to find a proper way to manage this, now, otherwise you are just creating yet another throwaway UI. The list selector is the default option when you are too lazy to think of how to properly approach it.

Emery, ApexModding, BuggaNoia and 3 others like this.
  14. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

It looks pleasing!
    Just wait until Thursday and test it.
    Then you will see!
    Trying to please everyone else will not succeed.
    It's nice when something positive happens.

15. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

If you can't use type/class/subclass in a rigid way for filtering lists/sets, then use tags. Tags are very flexible, and the best can be user-defined.

For a fixed type/class/subclass for tracks, you could make the top-level type by Closed Course, Point-to-Point or Open World for example. Under Closed Course, you could then define Road, Street, Short Oval, Superspeedway or similar. Define Asphalt, Gravel, Dirt, Mixed. This might be an alternate attribute, or maybe you'd use Continent (Geographical Area) of North America, South America, Europe, Asia etc. Some of these already exist in the game files, but are inconsistently applied.

Tags are often used in order management systems. Here, either automatic tags are applied (e.g., all orders from Amazon, International or Domestic orders) or can be applied by the user. So you could define your own say called "yellow", then you filter on other attributes of the object and then apply the tag to that filtered list manually. The most common of these is "Favorites". In iRacing, you can use favorites to tag certain series you like to compete in to pare down the list of series you initially see. Then, you can use other filters such as owned content, road v oval etc. to further limit the lists. There are advantages to this approach. For example, there is an in-built "car class" for GT3 or GTE, but say maybe you want all the GT3s except the Radical, for instance, so you create a tag called "My GT3" and apply only to the cars you want.

Feer9, Binny, Dady Cairo and 3 others like this.
  16. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

The initial video, it looks very positive. It is a lot better use of space than the current one and a lot more pleasing on the eyes. Great job.

One thing that I do see as a concern, is the opponents filter list. If using the "All Cars and Tracks" series, if you want a multi class grid, you don't know what class is selected and which ones is not. Using the screen shot from the video, I have to assume this is the class, but there isn't a way to know for sure.
    Class.JPG

There is some inconsistency of when selecting a car, and which class is loaded. I'm fine with that, as long as we know what is the initial class being used.

One of the biggest things I miss about rF1 is the use of the .rfm file. It made it easy to make a custom "mod" with multiple classes selected. It also made loading the UI faster as it only loads the cars that use that .rfm file instead of all cars. With the Series list being a little more "upfront and center", I might need to look at how to make my own series to accomplish my commonly used grids. Is there a step by step on how to do this? But IMO, if this is something that is supposed to replace the .rfm file, then all mods should be retro fitted to using this.
    Series.JPG

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

First of all I would like to give credit where credit is due. The studio acknowledged some of the very basic issues of the current UI and tried to work on them and it's quite easy to spot some very important improvements allready. It took a while but rather late than never. So in that regard I would say well done. As pointed out by the studio, I hope that this is a first big update throughout the year to build a solid foundation. It won't solve all the gamebreaking issues that are still there, but it's a good start.

Now to the feedback especialy regarding SP: I noticed that the focus was on streamlining the UI, wich is a good way to make things easier to use and more accessible but as it is often the case with streamlining, all too often features get cut out. I understand that you are trying to make the product more accessible, but the art while designing an UI for a product like rF2 is to offer the same functionality but packaged in a clever way so that you move as much functionality from the json files into the UI. So while streamlining the new UI you basicly cut out the best part of the current UI. In the current UI you could set the amount of practice sessions, race sessions etc. and adjust the settings for each session individualy. As it would be in the real world while simulating race weekends. With the new layout you got rid of one of the big advantages that rF2 had compared to the other products and transformed it into the similar low effort design that makes sims like AC and AMS2 a tad boring. Keep the simple design that you have now but offer something like an advanced tab for users who like to adjust and tweak their sessions a bit more. I play rf2 for a certain reason and customizability is one of it's strong points. Don't erase that strength.

On another note: there needs to be found a way to quickly generate the UI images via the UI and put them into the car folders while generating them. AC's content manager does it and it's clearly the way to go. What was mentioned above regarding the use of tags or sub categories for opponent, car or track selections is propably on the radar anyway, but for people complaining about the lists I would like to give the advice to use the search function. I am not sure if there is a search function for the opponents integrated allready but this will help alot. I think the opponent selection is on the list for further updates anyway so I will wait until there are further updates.

18. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Not gonna lie, it looks pretty sweet

19. Jordi Farrés

Jordi Farrés Registered

All this is very good, but wouldn't it be more worthwhile to make a rFactor 3 and stop experimenting?

20. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Does the UI improvement have a neutral or slightly positive impact on track + AI loading ?

That would be a good plus point.