Settings question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The_Bad_Fasterd, Jan 22, 2022.

1. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Hey peeps, Ive been trying RF2 on and off for over a year now, usually with limited succes.
    I race in VR, using a Reverb G2 on a 3080/5600x system with 32gb of 3200ram.

I also use ACC and AMS2 and have both games running at 90fps pretty consistently but I somehow cant get RF2 to run smooth.

I have SteamVR resolution set to 100% for global and per app.
    Other than that I figured I should be able to run RF2 on full ultra since its not as demanding as the newer sims (looking at you acc), but somehow Im getting terrible framerate in the menus and a constantly changing framerate on track.

Im running reprojection off atm which gives me a bit better result but overal I feel it should be performing way better or did I completely miss the mark on how demanding it is?

Is there any specific settings that work or not work well with RF2 that I should look into?

Im a big fan of the physics and FFB so far so Id really love to make it work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't know if it's possible to run rF2 on full using the G2.
    Try reducing the effects, details or textures.

3. atomed

atomed Member

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

It's probably a duck.

5. The_Bad_Fasterd

Ok, so thanks for stating the obvious.
    Where do I go from here?

Cause I can run ACC at 90 fps fairly comfortably. But not a game thats significantly older?

6. The_Bad_Fasterd

7. The_Bad_Fasterd

Yeah Id love to run all kinda of stuff on lower resolution. In fact I just asked if theres specific stuff I should turn down?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Forget rF2's release date. It's not a 2013 game.

It's constantly (slowly) under development, and is generally considered (based on anecdotal evidence) to be less well optimized.

So you're right to ask which settings may help most, but expecting it to run as well as, or faster than, game x or game y won't get you very far.

R.Noctua likes this.
  9. The_Bad_Fasterd

Dude. im just asking for help with my video game settings?

Is this really how youre gonna help me?

10. atomed

atomed Member

Wow, we, at least I, were trying to point you in a certain direction, definitely no need to get that tone.

R.Noctua and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm actually helping by pointing out that comparisons to other games are pointless - and you made such comparison in both posts I replied to.

Here's one person's opinion on some settings, the discord vr_discussion channel could be a good place to get pointers.

upload_2022-1-23_10-4-20.png

Note there is also lots of discussion on using openvr_fsr. There's a thread around here somewhere but a lot of it will be historical. I'd ask on discord if I were you.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  12. atomed

atomed Member

13. Filip

Filip Registered

Reshade decreases fps in my experience.
    Not by much though.

14. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

First you should look if your problem is gpu or cpu related. Best use fpsVR and have a look at the frametimes.

atomed and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  15. The_Bad_Fasterd

Ok I obviously misjudged how well my system would run this game then, and I realize I wasnt very politically correct in formulating things either so appologies, thats my bad… :D

I had already tried going down in resolution but I was still getting very poor framerate even in the menus, so I figured something else was off somewhere.

Ill start with the settings mentioned above and playing with the resolution.
    Im already using fpsVR but havent looked into openVR yet as my other sims seem to run pretty well without it.
    Might be worth looking into as well.

Thanks!

atomed likes this.
  16. atomed

atomed Member

All good mate. One important thing to consider in rF2 is that is more CPU intensive than GPU. The tire model and physics calculations are huge in comparison with other sims.
    For me post-effects off is one of the most important aspects to consider graphically. Also setting opponent detail to medium improved the overall behavior in my case.

17. atomed

atomed Member

You're right but with this particular sharper eye the difference is minimal.

18. Smeghead

Smeghead Registered

Hi, not sure it will help as I'm running a pimax 5k+ (2108x2104) per eye, steam at 100%, no reprojection/smoothing or whatever its called
    I'm on a 2070 Super with an i7 9770k and can get a constant 90 Fps with the following, (Though I do run open wheelers pretty much exclusively)

20220125084540_1.jpg 20220125084546_1.jpg

The_Bad_Fasterd and atomed like this.
  19. The_Bad_Fasterd

Thanks, I have since op adjusted my steamVR resolution to 70% and changed some of the settings mentioned above and found a good balance in graphical settings.
    Getting 90fps pretty much locked even with a full grid.

I do run into crashes when I try to change some settings, like VSync. As soon as I hit “apply” my game just shuts down, but Ill keep looking into improving things little by little.
    I might look into Sharper Eye but when I have the time but for now Im actually very satisfied with my current sharpness and “locked” 90fps with absolutely zero dips.

atomed likes this.
  20. atomed

atomed Member

Great. Anyway, once you get into Reshade you won´t be able to live without it. The possibilities are infinite. Heck you can even apply the 90´s EGA graphics or the ASCII filter :D