The 2022 UI Update for rFactor 2 - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Same Melody as when s397 took over so wouldnt get my hopes up ;)

RoboCAT10 and Nieubermesch like this.
  2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

Let's try to stay positive and at least give them a chance. This is a big update that many have been looking for. Pretty sure they have taken a lot that's been said to heart and hopefully have a firm plan in place.

R.Noctua, trichens and Mibrandt like this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I hope so, I hope so...

Elcid43 likes this.
  4. Gregoryleo

Gregoryleo Registered

Really looking forward to this update.
    I have to admit that my only real complaints has been the ui and load times. The last ui update seemed to slow things down again.
    Love the single player racing so this is great news to me.
    Here’s hoping

Elcid43 likes this.
  5. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I am sure this was a big undertaking and now the focus can shift into some game play improvements.
    I look forward to a single setup screen again.

atomed likes this.
  6. Flipo

Flipo Registered

[​IMG]

DJCruicky likes this.
  7. pig

pig Registered

The new UI looks like a pro version of NASCAR Ignition to me. Anyway it is afresh start and hope for more goodies to come!

Elcid43 likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I haven't seen Nascar Ignition, but it would make sense for the MG line to have similar menus throughout all their sim racing products.

Dady Cairo and atomed like this.
  9. Dan Jordan

Dan Jordan Registered

Looks good!

10. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

As a fan of rF2, a simulation that has tested my patience, I welcome this update with open arms, which does not look bad at all.

But I'm more skeptical than the dozens of comments I read in the previous pages, both on the UI but especially on other areas of simulation.

Hopefully we will soon have much more frequent updates as planned (if I understand Paul Jeffrey correctly). This interests me a lot.

And above all, I'm expecting (hope) a very big investment in the physics engine aspects and updating the cars in connection with the evolution of the physics engine.

But frankly it's nice this update, it gives a little hope.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

It seems nearly everyone is reading: New UI for rF2, but they seem to think that means: New UI for rF2 solves all "MY" issues with the sim. It's a new UI folks. Looks good, I hope it works well, I'm looking forward to it. But think of this...if they really had cured the AI issues, filtering online opponents, massive physics improvements etc etc, don'cha think they would have headlined that?

AMillward, R.Noctua, RaceNut and 3 others like this.
  12. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

13. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

The usual crybabies are out, rF2 is over, it was better before etc.... When is RF3 and yada yada yada !

14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

I'm out of tears...:cool:

atomed likes this.
  15. R Soul

R Soul Registered

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic.
    ///

BlkJello and Elcid43 like this.
  16. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I just wished they could've said something already about at least updating their DLC cars with better tires. GT3s specially feel very bad to drive and the others aren't that stellar either... We have the M4 with better tire phsyics for free and we are waiting for so long for them to fix those tires and not even a reference to that. So far only heard about the LMP2 or something in LM24. It doesn't leave my mind at ease, the silence... It would be crap to have to wait another year.

Dady Cairo and Havner like this.
  17. Binny

Binny Guest

Wow looks great & more user friendly from video. Congrates S397.

mesfigas likes this.
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can only take what they say at face value.

Some time after the switch to steam they changed their internal build process to allow faster fixing of bugs. A few times we've seen evidence of that, but many (many many) things are left unaddressed.

When the current UI was released it was said to be more flexible, but it really looks the same as the 2016 previews and has had zero usability improvements since release (yeah, loading recently, but that's more underlying).

So don't take me as an optimist here. I'm not putting any money (quite literally as regards DLC) on this ascending to sim stardom by 2030, let alone in 2022.

But the UI redesign shows progress, and recognition of the main issues.

No one can sit here and say with certainty that this won't turn into something great, just as no one can say the opposite. (plenty will, and with confidence, but the ones who end up right are lucky, not super smart or psychic)

If there is intent to improve, that's all you can ask for.

The only thing that really puzzles me is the people who seem totally convinced rF2 is doomed and keep hanging around to say so. Their inputs have zero bearing on what happens to the game, they could presumably have a much better time elsewhere (unless they just enjoy trolling) and if rF2 becomes fantastic in 6 months, 12 months, (2 years.... 5 years...... ) they can come and rejoin then.

My personal focus is physics (in all aspects) then audio, but it was obvious 4 years ago that they weren't a priority and I can understand the reasoning. So I shut up and wait. There's actually been plenty of indication from staff comments on here and discord that those areas will be prioritised at a time that is deemed suitable.

And anyway - even with the shitshow we've had since 2013 (not to completely dismiss improvements in that time, but there's been a lot lacking) it's been totally possible to spend all your time driving and competing in rF2. Less so for offline players, but I think a fair proportion of those would do themselves a huge favour by trying to run online more often.

19. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Better late than never...
    At least... it look like someone with a fresh eye took over the project... look better and more importantly a lot more compact...

But we'll see... the real test will be on release and months to come...

memoNo1 and Elcid43 like this.
  20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

@Lazza Nice write up

But at least for me in Japan the ONLINE experience in RF2 has been terrible
    When finally lucky to connect then getting issues of all sorts that I am not experiencing with the other Sims I own that's the sad reality