New Broadcast Overlay - adding custom images/vids not working

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kro388th, Sep 24, 2021.

1. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi, After working out the overlay & getting it up & running Im trying to add custom vids & images but they just don't show. I have made a custom overlay folder by copying the default as described> https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/broadcast-overlays ..
    I choose this custom overlay simracingonline and can see some of the changes working as far as the edit to the broadcasters names, broadcast director ..these are correct so I know its reading from the proper custom overlay.
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 11.50.19.56.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 11.57.59.38.png

I made some intro vids & added them to the video folder
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 11.51.16.90.png

Then in the config I added these lines
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 11.52.20.55.png
    but no vid plays & I only get the default red screen. I also tried to add images for backgrounds
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.09.24 - 11.53.19.44.png
    I have tried renaming things to match whats default in the cnfg but nothing seems to work?
    Is there some detailed info on what needs to happen here? The vids are like 600KB in size, is that to large?
    IDK what im doing wrong but I do hope I am doing something wrong so I can fix it with some help ..lol :oops::D

Thanks in advance for any help ...:)

2. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Also can anyone explain how the 'MARK REPLAY EVENT: works? When I click it I see the timer start and the names appear to select drivers so what's the timer all about? it seems it starts saving for a replay when you click it, but you only get from that point on so if i see something that just happened & want to go back & show the replay how will that work? lol help me obiwan'

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

So assume since no replies that the video part of the overlay simply does not work ..?

4. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

I have same problems. Videos not working. I tried different formats but no luck.

There one important thing to make replays work you need to press R to enter replay mode on start of the session. After that you press to Go Live Feed in control panel. Do not press Esc just use your broadcast control panel once you activate replay mode in-game.

To make replay you need to press Mark Replay Event button as quickly as possible when something happens and after that you can adjust driver, camera and delay. I usually add +20 seconds to standard 5 sec delay because of my slow reaction and because I need to show what happed just a little before crash, spin or overtake. Once you ready you can hit Replay Event button, it starts replay stinger to hide time transition, it will toggle some graphics and start to play event replay. You mark only replay in point, if you want go out of replay mode you need press Go To Live Feed button to activate stinger again that hide time transition. If you want to show one replay event from different cameras or from different drivers perspective or you want to adjust delay you can change that options on active replay event and press Replay Event button again. That will start again same replay but with different parameters and without stinger. From one replay event you can show multiple replays and then go back to live feed.

Also after the race you can show race highlights if you not press [X] button on replay events. Just start to play event after event. It works nice but it is sometime difficult to make if you broadcast director and commentator in same time.

kro388th likes this.
  5. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

Hi there !

I'm also interested how to displays videos.

Especially using the B-roll (or broll) function but it seems not working.

Any help??

6. Ruben Correa Alves

Ruben Correa Alves

If you watch the overlay in a browser, do you see any errors if you open the inspector?

7. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

Not I don't see any error!
    When I click on B-roll, nothing appears on the overlay basically.

8. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

What do mean by the inspector ?

9. kro388th

kro388th Registered

When I choose to play a vid I get a transition to red screen @Ruben Correa Alves Have actually gotten videos to work??:) I have tried everything.
    I do have some questions about the structure in the cfg.json. I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong:rolleyes:.. I have the vids in the video folder, & then in the cfg.
    Desktop Screenshot 2022.01.21 - 19.25.19.14.png
    Desktop Screenshot 2022.01.21 - 19.25.57.15.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2022
    Agahnim likes this.
  10. Agahnim

Agahnim Registered

I have the exact same behavior !
    Red screen on the overlay as soon as I trigger a video

11. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Ok so when you say ‘add delay‘ when trying to make a replay how exactly do you do that? I am able to create a replay like described above but Im always to late and the replay starts just as or after the action i want ? I have my replay set to like 20 sec’s in game but its not clear to me how I can add a buffer to go back 10 or so seconds from my ‘set replay’ request in the overlay .. o_O anyone ? Thanks:)

12. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Right after you hit mark replay button you will have timer and camera select for your episode. I just type numbers that I need to have for each replay and then I can start to play replay.