Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Above post says it all, clear factual summary and hopefully eyes opener for the devs

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I still remember reading in a car magazine a review of the Ferrari 458. The entire first paragraph was not about driving but standing along side a roadway in the Appalachian mountains. All the first paragraph discussed was the 'SOUND' of the naturally aspirated V8 engine ripping around the twisty roads up in the mountains. They couldn't see the car, it was zooming around the canyon/pass. But they could hear it. I watch races on TV & listen to the newer 488, and while it may be superior in every way, it makes me sad not to hear the raw sound from non-turbo engines.
    Or:
    A Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson was driving a new Aston Martin V12. Everytime he goosed the gas pedal, he became sadder & sadder, because Britain's roadways had become so limiting to really truly explosive cars. (now watch somebody find the exact episode and prove my every memory wrong!!!) :) Sound and THUNDER matter, at least to those of us who were raised in that cacophony.

Sim_Player, RaceNut and pkelly like this.
  3. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I am all for real numbers, and I would want to take it one step further and do dedicated testing in real life and go full scientific method! If the results didn't match my expectation then, well that would be a pill I could easily swallow because I would know that the science is correct and I am wrong.

Assuming they had the data, AMS does use real numbers which they punch directly in, whereas rF2 builds a tyre and hopes that it comes close to the real numbers. They can't simply just change each parameter seperately to have the tyre match the real numbers, everything effects everything else, whereas with AMS there is no such issue.

Yet I am all for the physical tyre over the empirical one due to the dynamic feeling. The results of the AMS tyre (i.e what happens after a given input) feel more correct to me, and this makes sense to my mind because they have the real numbers (or at least close to real numbers). rF2 feels slightly off in places, but overall the way it goes about doing things feels better.

The BMW Class 1 pretty much does what I think it should, but this might just be because it has enourmouse power which more easily overcomes the rear tyres. Many other cars in rF2 to me feel as if they lack "guts", and IDK if this is because I feel like the rear tyres have too much (straight line) grip, or because of the drivetrain, or the sound, or a combination of all.

I say go nuts with as much content as you like if it pays the bills, but there should be at least one car which is a "proof of concept" and is on the cutting edge of simulating a car, with no detail being too small. Maybe not every car can have a drivetrain or the best sound, or physical suspension components that deform, but maybe at least one car which they have real world access to would be possible. This is pure projection on my part, it's like I'm going through the stages of grief and this is the "bargaining" stage lol.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@green serpent your 2 issues identified earlier aren't things that the physical approach should affect. I mean, if there is too little grip at the front on turn-in and too much grip at the rear under power, those are things that could be corrected within the TGM [realtime] section - so if those aspects are wrong (let's pretend/assume someone did some proper testing and measuring) they either didn't bother trying to get them close or couldn't find a compromise between those aspects and others in the time available.

This obviously assumes the problem is in the tyres. It could be something else.

avenger82 likes this.
  5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Thanks @Lazza, I was not aware that that could be done. In which case I see even less downside in going with a physical tyre. One day I will need to learn how to mess with all these files so I can try things out myself and bitch less ;)

nolive721 and davehenrie like this.
  6. Binny

Binny Guest

I have a suggestion for S397 when the get their schedule/plan in place get a WOMAN to be the Project Officer as women are well know for their planning & scheduling and sticking to time frames & making others stick to them. If you dont believe this is true go ask your wife/partner if I'm right. Us girls always keep you men in line. LOL

RaceNut, pkelly, Dady Cairo and 4 others like this.
  7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahaha, well, anything is better then what they've been doing!

Binny and Dady Cairo like this.
  8. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I just asked my partner, and she said you're totally right. She also happens to be the logistics coordinator in the biggest tyre warehouse in Melbourne, and an expert in telling me what to do all the time lol

Binny likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm not sure I have an opinion on this, let me go ask my wife....

RaceNut, Binny, Dady Cairo and 4 others like this.
  10. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

Dear Studio397, go away and leave this sim at the women, we understand that only they can resurrect this dead sim

Binny likes this.
  11. Kurt Mildenberger

Kurt Mildenberger Registered

Studio 397? When are the Fahreriketten finally available in opt-out. It can not last a long time until this is the case. What's more speed on the part of Studio 397 you can safely expect.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why not use the RC?

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

dead sim? just because it's dead for you doesn't mean it's dead for others... just fixing bugs will be wonderful... another thing will be the content... I see many leagues working very well with rfactor 2, regardless of bugs AI or Competition System... I use it very little or not at all...

Rui Santos and Badboy like this.
  14. guenther

guenther Registered

It's always funny how many people complain almost daily about the deadness of this plattform. But they are still using it. Can't be that dead.

15. pig

pig Registered

I thought virtual leman went pretty well. So good publicity for rf2, kudos and congrats to studio 397! now it is time to fix those bugs~

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I don't know if it was misunderstood because of the language, and you told me, I don't know... what I don't use is AI and I use the competition system very little... but rFactor is my only sim

17. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

We're always talking about bugs here (rightly so, of course), but I'm pretty sure that no other simulation could have presented "our" passion better than Rfactor2. It was phenomenal and when you consider the technical background involved (200 players from all over the world, 50 cars, 24 hours!) it's a great job. I take my hat off to Studio 397!

Nieubermesch and davehenrie like this.
  18. Binny

Binny Guest

So glad ppl seen the funny side of comment. To all you guys have a great day.

19. guenther

guenther Registered

this was a general remark, not related to your post

juanchioooo likes this.
  20. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I didn't really follow :

What does S397 say about the next update, especially can we hope for this month ?

I guess they will talk about it in the roadmap, but maybe we can hope for something before ?

I use RC.