Free space with the Workshop items and better integration in the UI

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Alejandro López Arjona, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Alejandro López Arjona

Alejandro López Arjona Registered

I think 60GB of .rfcmp in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 makes no sense. If you delete those files, the game will reinstall them in the next startup. I think there is no sense to save 60GB of files the game will never use again after installing them.

Also, having the startup wizard buttons to subscribe to X content is always useful, so I think it should always be accessible from the UI, and if you can add a button tu unsubscribe to all content, it would be good too.

Regards.

Mitch9 and SRGP like this.
  2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Mine is 113 GB :eek:

3. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

Although I agree with you that this should be fixed from the devs perspective, you can create empty text file and name it same as the rfcmp that it's replacing (including rfcmp extension) and just overwrite the file in workshop folder. That way reinstall is not triggered and you still have your content installed. If later you want to get the original rfcmp, just delete this empty text files from the workshop. This will save you all the space needed.

4. guenther

guenther Registered

Well. This is how the steam workshop works.

5. Tomislav Leskovic

Well, yes and no. I haven't gone through steams sdk to check if there is a way to access workshop folder or not, but even if you can't, you can provide a script from rf2 installation folder that can for example do what I explained in post above. And that's just naive and simple solution to the problem. I can assure you that this "problem" can be fixed in multiple ways, but it's easier to say we can't do nothing about it, it's the way steam works.

6. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

What happens if/when you need to "Verify Files"? Does it see them as corrupt/empty files and redownload them all again anyway?

7. Tomislav Leskovic

To be honest, I haven't checked. I presume that it will re-download all the files, since obviously checksum will not be the right one

Dave^ likes this.
  8. guenther

guenther Registered

Workshop syncs again /workshop/<gameid>, games into /common/. Thats it.

9. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

The price difference between a 500gb SSD and a 1tb SSD is negligible, compared to the time you spend tracking down large files, deleting them, then waiting for them to redownload when needed.