SOLVED Small glitch with Clouds with new build on a few tracks

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DJCruicky, Dec 11, 2021.

1. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Found small problem with the new cloud system on a small number of tracks.
    You can be driving along then suddenly the sky switches from overcast to sunny in a blink of an eye. It also shows up on a replay too.
    I found the reason for this, it seems to happen when the road goes higher than 550 metres the car clips through the sky box with the new cloud system of the newer builds. I've tested this with one of the old builds, the one with the old UI, and there is no issues with that one.
    Here is a video of my non laser 3rd party version of Nords.

On some parts of my track the roads are higher than this 550 metres.
    Nords Elevation Profile.PNG
    Lowering my track to sea level fixes it.

But what about tracks like 'Transfagarasan' where the track goes over 1000 Metres in height. See video below of that track. Again the glitch happens at 550 metres up the hill.

Thank you.

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Well done @DJCruicky

I noticed that the Clear (Skies) setting in the server Weather picker weren’t being properly honoured and even setting the global weather from Scripted to Sunny doesn’t always fix it.

I had no reason to suspect the altitude though… I *think* we also experienced it at the version of Laguna Seca we were running his week. It’d be nice to get this fixed as every fps counts in busy league races….

3. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Hi thanks for the report, these code changes happened nearly a year ago and this is the first time I've seen it posted about the clouds disappearing at high altitudes. It is recommended to model scenes around world 0, rather than far away, but regardless we'll check this out as clearly it shouldn't happen.

With regards to slight differences in the sky cover this is by design. It's quite rare that you get a completely clear sky, and the intention is for clear to some times have a small amount of cloud.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarifications.

It would be nice to be able to have complete control of anything that impacts FPS, but I guess we've been living with it for a while anyway!

5. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I mean pretty much everything effects FPS to some degree, should we let you run the physics at a lower frequency? Where do you stop? Weather is unpredictable, and the forecast is never perfect, it seems a little odd to want it to be so predictable in a simulation.

For reference if you set clear you get no clouds 75% of the time I'd estimate, and 1 or 2 of the lightest cloud planes the other times

philrob likes this.
  6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thank you for the replies Alex. Have nice Christmas.

7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Well, you let us reduce the World Detail levels (shame Race always has extra crowds etc. though), turn off rain, particles etc.

We’re not asking for a wireframe mode ;)- just that ‘none means none’:)

Hazi and atomed like this.
  8. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I've changed the title to SOLVED. Thank you for fixing it in the new RC build :).

Corti likes this.