Nurburgring 1967 dreamers

Discussion in 'Locations' started by juanarg70, Dec 3, 2021.

1. bears

bears Registered

You beat me to it lol, guess we were thinking the same thing :)

2. bears

bears Registered

You talking about Daytona ? That would be great if you could you always polish tracks up nicely, it doesn't have to be perfect as long as it drivable and you don't need sunglasses :) it would be great.... thanks again Phil

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you are re-doing tracks....this image always intrigued me, 1967 At Road America(Elkhart Lake) the shrubbery and zero runoff. Wow! That must have taken beeg cajones to run flat down to Canada Corner...
    [​IMG]

vava74 likes this.
  4. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

hi dave.. are you thinking on a similar aproach on the modern version of road america?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If that is all that is available. I don't think the layout changed that much over the years, with the exception of the last few corners and the removal of the bridge after Canada. Bringing shrubs/trees closer to track and removing runoff areas, like the near parking lot at Turn 5. It would certainly bring some old time flavor to that circuit.

6. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

I've got this Gesamtstrecke scene file. It loaded once into devmode but crashed trying to set automatic garage positions. Then it no longer load. but it could be a good starting poit. Whose applying for the job hahah

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Max Dralle, Mauro, Corti and 2 others like this.
  7. Mauro

Mauro Registered

.... There are potentially several circuits that lend themselves to such a restyling

Brands Hatch, Mosport, Oulton Park
    Same layout and useful with historical cars

juanarg70 and vava74 like this.
  8. philrob

philrob Registered

Bears,
    yes i was talking about Daytona 70s, its looking ok and i only need 1 pair of sunglasses at the moment.Its getting better though as i work my way through the textures, and start changing the models.

Emery, vava74, svictor and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

[​IMG]

pascom likes this.
  10. philrob

philrob Registered

Lazza,
    yes welding glasses were needed at the start haha

11. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Id say that if i can do a base conversion of a AC track it will take about 2-5 days on a small track, however if this track requires mesh remodelling it will be a long task. so i would expect the base conversion take around 1-3 weeks if mesh does not need to be edited, if its just a baseconversion i could just convert it if the mesh is okay. But since AC uses twin meshes it makes all of this more complicated.

If its just a single mesh and the existing mesh is of good quality the conversion would be fairly quick. You would need to rework some of the textures probably atleast to bring them up to IBL/PBR standard. but doing a simple conversion with existing textures and just giving the road the new shaders should be fairly quick, and for the grass around the track. But it all depends how such project is made.

Keep in mind the times for me are relatively short as i can work 2-8h per day for 2-5 days per week on something like this. So you can easily add more time to it if someone who has less time than me would try to do it.

Mauro likes this.
  12. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i took a look, is the track supposed to be mostly merged up with the objects? As that is probably quite hard to balance and make run well with the LOD system RF2 uses.

13. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Emperor.. I will share you my devmode folder. I change some of the textures and in 3dsimed it looks acceptable. I saw the double mesh and left one of them (the one that had square polys) the other was orange in 3dsimed and had weird polys. Maybe you can take a look to see if it's a good starting point. The track is separated from the rest of the object. although its separated into 11 gmts.. maybe it needs further separation.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Mauro likes this.
  14. EmperorOfFinland

Okay so the original mesh you deleted was the physical road mesh i believe so that means i have to make the mesh out of this one. now i can just subdivide the surface on blender but the main problem is you have to probably ask svictor to remind me how i add the bumps and stuff to the track. the track looks workable on current form but it needs the mesh to be remade

Mauro likes this.
  15. juanarg70

juanarg70 Registered

Emperor.. later today I'll share you the same folder but with the double mesh if you want. I'm not at home right now

16. EmperorOfFinland

Sure that will be fine so i can take a look at the mesh now since the mesh fits together on this one i can probably just subdivide the mesh and give it some random bumps to make it quite good on its own. but the reason why it drives like shit currently is that ac uses a visual mesh that is way stripped in polys to make the track run better. but as a sideeffect when you try to use the visual mesh as surface it means the physical mesh is left to be unused.

The best way is to make the physical mesh the drivingsurface but that also requires reuvmapping the whole track to the texture now i have done it before and it seems this track does not use a multi surface texture road so i could probably just change the texture and if its mapped correctly i should be able to get the physical mesh to be the roadsurface what means we get the AC mesh that exists but we also dont have to rework the mesh if it lines up correctly to the track. if it does not, well then its manual merging of vertices. and i can tell from experience, that is not fun nor a good way to spend time.

Mauro likes this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

but i have to say its a quite good start for a conversion as i think with retexturing with new shaders and couple fixes to UV maps on couple hills and redoing the surfacemesh this should be really good track to drive

Mauro likes this.
  18. EmperorOfFinland

But permissions really need to be asked for it

19. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i found the physics mesh files you had as the road, i transplanted them to the track and assigned the texture of the normal material and now the track actually drives quite well and does not throw my F1 1982 groundeffect testcar out of the track as the track was like i was driving through a potato field.

So if you want this to be released at somepoint you could ask permissions for this track to be converted as im not giving out my files out to anyone in public. unless there is permissions to do the said track as its part of the simracing modding etique

20. EmperorOfFinland

So in pinpoint the track misses working AIW file, we also need to add spectators as it seems they are added in with AC plugin so we have to manually add the spectators. and fix couple issues with mesh merging on couple places on the track and reuv map small portions of the track and i think after that its prettymuch done.